Sage

License sales are up.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...cid=spartandhp

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 10:57 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

So they say but if you read https://www.post-gazette.com/life/ou...s/201912050137 something doesnt add up. So license sales were down .6% as of the first day of rifle then magically go to .4% of increased sales?
Buckskin Dave likes this.

4B
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 11:07 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yeah, evidently the PGC had to modify the real numbers to make it appear the move of the opener achieved the goal they were looking for.

Looks like the BOC is wiling to do anything to get and keep that Saturday opener.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 11:13 AM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Sales up, sales down, it means nothing today. Wait till 2024 and look back on license sales from 2019 to 2023. That will tell you the real story. Let it all play out and we'll see. Until then patience.
crazyjjk, Danesdad, loridr and 5 others like this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 11:19 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yes the license sales were up but for getting more Pa residents involved in hunting was very little ! I do agree that every little bit helps our sport but if you really look into the license sales it was from Non residents for the ML bears season ! Almost 27,000 license were sold for that season alone because they can be bought over the counter and in many states it is by a draw system. I talked to several non resident bear hunters from Maryland to New Hampshire and that's what they told me plus our bear population was way up ! I think the next couple seasons you'll see a big drop again because allot of the bears got killed off with a Record year bear kill so as soon as they stop seeing bears they will start fading away again.

Everybody is acting like the number of license sales went way up because of changing the opener to Saturday instead of keeping it Monday ! It doesn't matter to me what day they had it on because I don't rifle hunt !!

I do however hope it does keep the youth involved and it seems that the youth license sales were up 1,000 some !!
pchunter1231 and waterfowlrus like this.

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 11:25 AM

The GC. are like Dems out of their playbook next will be another push for a license increase guarenteed.
waterfowlrus likes this.

9-11-01 SOME GAVE SOMETHING. 343 GAVE ALL F.D.N.Y.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 11:32 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I suspect Sunday hunting will boost sales numbers more than a Saturday opener may have. We probably will never really know what effect moving the opener really had on sales, as from this point forward it will paired with Sunday hunting.
Danesdad likes this.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 11:42 AM
Regular Visitor

Half empty, half full. At least they're attempting to stem the tide and from the looks of it, the Saturday opener has helped. I know in my neck of the woods, the special regs area, there were a lot more guys out on first day this year. Now all we need is EVERY Sunday on state game lands and private property with permission.
Danesdad likes this.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 11:53 AM
The Man

After reading both links you have to wonder what is the truth. What's that old saying "figures don't lie, but liars figure".

I have 2 friends who always buy a license and stop by the house during deer season. One is / was an avid hunter and the other likes to hang out and hunt a couple of hours a day. Neither bought a license this year. The reason they said was because "we're not seeing any deer". Up until this year they always purchased a license, it was routine. This year they didn't. That's a minus 2 hunters out of the small group I hunt with!

I am not sure how successful the Saturday opener was. There was no one hunting around my area other than a few friends. There may have been a few shots in the distance but nothing like a normal opening day. If I had to rate the Saturday opener around me I'd say it did not attract additional hunters.

Who knows what the future will bring? I use to be concerned about too many hunters and now I'm concerned about too few.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 02:06 PM

Iv'e said before that our future is too few hunters and too many deer. It started a while ago, but nobody believed it. You won't recognize the regulations 20 years from now. Those left hunting will have the woods and feilds to themselves.

Pence/Putin 2024

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in