Pa rules for tagging deer - Page 7 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 231Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 99 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 12:55 PM

I've taken multiples in 5C. Private land. From blinds, no drives.
It's not that bad. Brother and I do our own processing, and have 30 years' practice each.
ATVs to haul them to the barn or truck (depending on the property being hunted.)
We can have 4 deer hung up, gutted, skinned, quartered and hanging/trayed in the refrigerators in about 2 hours.
Folks also tend to grossly underestimate how long you have to work with them in temps up to 70 degrees.
I'm a meat hunter... and I get as much enjoyment from the delicatessen work as I do from the hunt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 99 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nomad archer you would be wrong I have never spent a full day deer hunting that I couldn't have shot a doe. I have shot a buck 24yrs in a row now. In 60 yrs of hunting I have only shot 4 doe. Even at a young age just never had any interest but moved them around for my friends. I realize some need shot.
bohunr likes this.

Last edited by LONZO; 12-26-2019 at 10:17 PM.
post #63 of 99 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 07:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

As someone who hunts as a group with organized drives the whole having to tag before you shoot a second can be a pain. I hunt from a tree stand on a steep ridge so when I shot my buck this year it was a 15 minute process to climb down hike up to the deer, tag it and climb back down and get back in my stand. This is not a problem on an all day sit but when we are driving it could cost you a second opportunity.

I also noticed several people mention about who needs to take more than one deer at a time? We divide the meat up amongst those who hunt with us so a couple extra deer can make a big difference in how much everyone gets. For example the opening weekend everything we got was split 7 ways, an extra deer or two could make a big difference in how much each person gets.
bohunr and flintlock hunter like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 99 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 10:41 PM

I`m not for it at all.For example a mother and two fawn come out to a header on a drive,first person on stand kills the mother and a fawn and the last fawn runs down to the next header and he kills it.A hole gene pole gone.If your to lazy to hunt for another deer stay home.
post #65 of 99 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 10:48 AM
Regular Visitor

I live on the edge of GL and hunt there. In 3 years I’ve seen maybe 3 hunters and all where a stones throw from their houses. Once I get a half mile in or more I’m alone and judging by lack of tracks subsequent days it stays that way.

Being a 3 year resident only I almost need to carry a regs book with me. There are so many unit rules, etc. it can be confusing. I’ve been fortunate a few guys at the local plant hunt and have helped me out. I agree with Dick that I don’t see this changing much.

Making the regs simpler and easier to enforce is a good thing. I’ve also hunted a handful or more states and maybe I’m fortunate but opportunities at mature bucks are pretty good here. One of the first areas that shoe leather = better opportunity
bohunr likes this.
post #66 of 99 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestman3 View Post
I`m not for it at all.For example a mother and two fawn come out to a header on a drive,first person on stand kills the mother and a fawn and the last fawn runs down to the next header and he kills it.A hole gene pole gone.If your to lazy to hunt for another deer stay home.

???

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #67 of 99 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 11:53 AM
The Man

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
???

I know right?
post #68 of 99 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
the way some people here think about their fellow hunters is just mind boggling.
Yep
bohunr and flintlock hunter like this.

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
post #69 of 99 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 08:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:

Ummm, Antlerless deer are just that, deer with no antlers and are fair game for those that have tags, so your trying to say, no one should shoot doe, fawns or button bucks? Seems like you have a sound case to be brought up to the BOC at their next meeting, good luck.
bohunr likes this.

UBP Life Member
Full Sunday Hunting Supporter
Beyond Century mark in Bow kills.
post #70 of 99 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dce View Post
I don't care what they do but I have no desire to kill more than one per day,let a lone level two at the same time.
Agreed. I've never done it in PA but I have on drive hunts in Germany, where they come along with a tractor or truck to pick them up, and they only weigh 30-40 lbs anyway.

When my son was 14, he shot a doe on the first day. After he tagged it and I gutted it then hung it up in a nearby tree, I told him make sure the next one is a buck. Not five minutes and without saying a word, he shoots again. We were standing facing opposite directions. I spun around the tree with a What the heck? look, while he's just grinning. We then walked over to find his first buck, a small 5 point.

I was thrilled for him....until I thought about the work that lay ahead! We got the buck tagged and gutted, then started down the mountain with both deer to the path that runs out the hollow. Just as we get down to the path, here comes my brother with a deer! Now we have three deer, and a mile+ to the truck. This day's getting better. I sent my brother to the truck to grab the deer cart. When he got back we mistakenly tried to get all three tied on to it. The path is an old, overgrown log skidder trail that gets rougher to walk each year without hauling deer along. We didn't get but a hundred yards or so before the cart broke. I rigged it back up so it could handle one of the deer. The kid took the cart and my brother and I each a deer. Then at home I had three deer to butcher!

That is enough reason to think shooting two at a time in the areas I hunt in PA is not such a wise idea. That was in 2001 when I was still mid-30s. Today it just seems like a completely ridiculous idea.
Of course, if I'm in an area with a short downhill drag, I'd probably consider it.

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page