Is the cost of butchering turning away hunters - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 233Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Is the cost of butchering turning away hunters

I do my own deer but guys at work are saying it cost them 70 dollars to butcher plus 25 to vacuum seal so 95 dollars for steak and burger. So I got to thinking for me I got 3 doe tags this year if all I did was rifle hunt I donít know how I could afford to shoot four deer in two weeks with Christmas right around the corner. Is this possibly one reason people arenít hunting the cost? Or is it why some people are just one and done?
bohunr and 4x4dad like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 06:57 AM
Frequent Contributor

The butcher i go to charges by the pound. An average deer is about $90 wrapped like you would get at the grocery store. I do take some there but also do some on my own when i have time. Unfortunately for me my job is really busy during the early archery through rifle season so thats normally when i pay to get them done. Late season i normally have time to do them myself.
bohunr likes this.
post #3 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 07:09 AM
Regular Visitor

Not at all, the average hunter is never going to shoot 4 deer in to weeks. There are those hunters that could/would/will, but they are definitely not the norm..
Of course there are people on this site who will not agree, but part of hunting is butchering. You either learn to do it yourself, or you are paying someone else to do it. It's something that you need to plan for just as much as any other aspect of hunting.
If the "cost" of butchering is driving people away from shooting deer, then they probably weren't very invested in hunting anyway...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 08:02 AM
dgc
Frequent Contributor

Ok this got me thinking with all the gear and stuff we buy bows guns clothes stands ext
the butcher fee is prob the least of it
post #5 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 08:04 AM

I only shoot one deer a season, it cost me between 70 to 85 depending on what I want, but for most experienced hunters they always have a plan on what they will do once they get one. Granted a lot of hunters butcher their own to save money, especially if their shooting a few. But I see no reason why the butchering aspect of it would deter someone from hunting. The PGC has set up the Hunters Sharing the Harvest program through out the State at some butcher shops, and this helps everyone. Some hunters don`t like venison at all, but like to hunt so they donate it to the food bank. A great program I might add.....
bohunr likes this.

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
post #6 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 08:21 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I don't think so at all. I work with a guy that decided he wanted to get into deer hunting for the meat a couple of years ago. He works out all the time and apparently read the benefits of venison in terms of being high in protein and low in fat. He started asking me some questions about hunting and I talked him into a bow. Next thing you know he gets a Mathews Triax and starts slaying deer. Even killed a ten point his first year hunting. He shoots like 5-6 deer a year and takes them all to the butcher. The same goes for another buddy that just got into it a few years ago. So my answer would be no, the cost of butchering is not a factor..
bohunr and ruger300 like this.

The sleep of a laborer is sweet, while the rich man tosses and turns, worried about his possessions.
post #7 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 08:48 AM

I've been doing my own butchering for as long as I can remember. Couldn't afford having someone else do it in the begining so if I wanted to hunt I had to learn. And I learned early on not to get another deer before the first one is butchered and in the freezer.

If you really want to hunt deer you will learn to do whatever it takes.
bohunr, bsneaky, jonsie and 2 others like this.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
post #8 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 09:04 AM

For some probably. We enjoy the butchering days nearly as much as the hunt. Unless a person is handicapped to the point they can't do it, or thier age prevents them from processing, anyone can do it. We know we are getting the meat from the deer we have harvested.
bohunr, bsneaky, bpottorff and 4 others like this.

The difference between dreamers and achievers is action.
One try is worth a thousand guesses.
post #9 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 09:06 AM

Deer are so simple to butcher there would be no reason to give up hunting because of butchering expense. I remember way back to my college days hanging deer on the back fire escape of my apartment for a quick skinning and quartering job and then hanging the quarters on our balcony until they were processed. I enjoy butchering deer and my dogs really appreciate all the scraps and bones they get out of the deal.
post #10 of 119 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 09:26 AM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
I enjoy doing all my deer myself. All it costs is some freezer bags, canning jar lids, salt, stuff like that and some electricity. Part of the hunt and this way I know all the meat was gets used and no waste.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page