Sizing them up - Page 5 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 216Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 93 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 10:54 AM

I don't get caught up in scores either or have mine measured or put in the books. But there really is no better way to gain perspective than to slap a tape to it.

There's nothing wrong with guys challenging themselves to shoot bigger bucks. Like someone else said, it's not always an ego thing, although it often is. Even if it is, so what? Me personally, I don't really post anything and I stay pretty reclusive about my hunting. Just a personal challenge to me and the phase of hunter I am today. Down the road I could see myself transitioning to trad archery and becoming more method based, and that's cool too. Different strokes for different folks. I don't know why some get so pushy about their particular way of doing things. I don't particularly care for blondes but I don't go around saying guys that do have something wrong with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 93 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 11:10 AM

a big old mature doe is a lot smarter or just as equal as a trophy buck.
pchunter1231 and lanctrapper like this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #43 of 93 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 11:12 AM

While I’m not a trophy hunter, I do pass on the little-but-legal Bucks, especially in archery season. I don’t score my deer, nor do I care about score. I’m very happy with all the bucks I have killed. I’m tickled to death shooting a 115” 8 point. That being said, there is one particular buck that might make me let those 8 pointers walk next season. There was an exceptional buck hanging around my aunts property, I got a few glimpses of him in summer and archery season. Monday morning this week My aunt saw him chasing a doe all around her shed, so he made it through rifle season. He is a 5x7 12 point this year, hopefully he is around next year🙂
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 93 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 11:17 AM

i got these guys on trail cam and never saw them during daylight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg huge 8.JPG (20.5 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg HUNT0003.jpg (487.4 KB, 19 views)

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #45 of 93 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
....... I can't remember who said it a few weeks ago, but he regretted shooting more than he's passed. Stop and reflect on that and see if you feel the same. It should help your decision making.

That would be Mr. PA Bone who said that, it stuck with me too.
bigbear likes this.

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...
post #46 of 93 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 11:33 AM

I don't really size them up. I generally pass younger legal bucks. I kinda know based on body and antler frame size if the buck I am looking at is one I want to shoot.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #47 of 93 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 11:45 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post

That first one are the ones that are hard (for me) to pass.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #48 of 93 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
Don't get caught up in score. There are plenty of mature, 4.5+, year olds that might only have that 110-120" rack. If he doesn't take your breath away when you first see him don't even pick the bow up. When it's in your hands is when you go into kill mode. I can't remember who said it a few weeks ago, but he regretted shooting more than he's passed. Stop and reflect on that and see if you feel the same. It should help your decision making.
A lot of truth here. The longer you have that bow in your hand when a buck is around, the more likely you’ll start getting an itchy trigger finger. Size him up and make a determination before he even gets close and if he isn’t the one, don’t even grab your bow...
bohunr likes this.
post #49 of 93 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 03:20 PM

I have 3 bucks mounted and a 4th (my biggest) at the taxidermist now. But I don’t get them mounted to show off to anyone, heck, I rarely have anyone over to my house anyway! I get them mounted because to me they are beautiful creatures and I love to look at them every day and relive the hunt. Good taxidermy is truly art work. I also have a pile of bucks that I’ve euro mounted myself and they are on my wall as well.

But to some, this makes me an “elitist” hunter, addicted to “bone” and thumping my chest while bragging to everyone about how great of a hunter I am...
bohunr and zjheeter like this.
post #50 of 93 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post

So did you see any of the big does you had on camera?
bohunr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page