The best way to hunt deer now - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 83Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

The best way to hunt deer now

CROSSBOWS. Its safer. A bullet can hit you a long ways compared to a crossbow., Longer season, nicer weather, Better chance at a nicer buck in the rut, Can hunt more private land because crossbow don't make a noise when shooting. Young people can shoot a crossbow as accurate as a rifle with a scope.

Last edited by foxpro51; 12-09-2019 at 02:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 02:35 PM
New Arrival

The easiest* way to hunt deer now

Teach kids the skills and patience of a compound. It will improve their woodsmanship and make them a better hunter instead of here kid pull this trigger.

Crossbows should have a separate shorter season similar to muzzle loader.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 02:43 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JibberJab View Post
The easiest* way to hunt deer now

Teach kids the skills and patience of a compound. It will improve their woodsmanship and make them a better hunter instead of here kid pull this trigger.

Crossbows should have a separate shorter season similar to muzzle loader.
Good luck. Patience is not a trait of today's youth. They are accustomed to instant gratification.
Danesdad and ruger300 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 02:59 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Start a kid with a recurve or longbow and show them what archery is about. Then to a compound if they so desire. Then someday whenever they are no longer physically able to shoot a vertical bow they should be able to use a crossbow if they wish.
PAtradarcher likes this.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 03:10 PM

and here we go.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 03:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I might pick up crossbow hunting next year......and I can hunt private land cause it's quiet(sneaky)
Jk
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 03:33 PM

Here's the deal with crossbows and this is 100% fact.

If I had been hunting with a crossbow this year rather than a compound bow I would be out of tags right now.

I would have been able to shoot and kill 5 mature bucks, and endless amount of doe's but instead I was only able to take one shot on a mature buck during archery and I missed.

With that said, I'm not just trying to fill tags (while it is nice) I love the challenge of a compound bow and when I'm finally efficient with a compound I am going to look into traditional.

Crossbows are great for children and elderly or those who have a handicap. Outside of that, they should be banned.

Previously JJ5C
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 03:42 PM
Sage

I like crossbow hunting, regular compound bow hunting and rifle hunting. I'd probably like flintlock and muzzleloader if I had either of those too.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ4D View Post
Here's the deal with crossbows and this is 100% fact.

If I had been hunting with a crossbow this year rather than a compound bow I would be out of tags right now.

I would have been able to shoot and kill 5 mature bucks, and endless amount of doe's but instead I was only able to take one shot on a mature buck during archery and I missed.

With that said, I'm not just trying to fill tags (while it is nice) I love the challenge of a compound bow and when I'm finally efficient with a compound I am going to look into traditional.

Crossbows are great for children and elderly or those who have a handicap. Outside of that, they should be banned.
Don’t wait to get into traditional! You have the mindset it takes to hunt with self limiting gear. I made the switch to hunting with a recurve 16 years ago and never looked back. It takes time and ALOT of practice, but it’s FUN. Traditional archery quickly became a year round thing for, it’s a different world altogether. There will be frustrating times, but your hunting skills will vastly improve because of it. These days longbows are my go-to, but you can set yourself up with a quality recurve or longbow for a fraction of the cost of a new Xbow or compound, and you never have to worry about cams, timing, etc.
JJ4D likes this.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 03:49 PM

Suprising how many think foxpro's post is seriously about hunting with a crossbow
loridr, RacksnQuacks, OAWC and 3 others like this.

Pence/Putin 2024
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page