post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Close call for deer hunter

PEACH BOTTOM

Rescuers pull teenage hunter from Susquehanna

Bystander hears boy yell after kayak holding deer capsizes

DAN NEPHIN

[email protected]

Firefighters rescued a teenage hunter from the Susquehanna River after his kayak capsized Saturday near Peach Bottom Marina while he was returning with a buck he’d shot in York County.

The 16-year-old boy was taken to Lancaster General Hospital to be treated for severe hypothermia, said Phil Smith, chief of Robert Fulton Fire Company. He remained hospitalized Sunday afternoon.

Nancy Schutsky, who lives on the river in Fulton Township just south of the marina, was outside putting up Christmas decorations when she heard yelling.

“Talk about being in the right place at the right time,” Schutsky, 68, said Sunday.

Sometimes, she said, she’ll hear flocks of birds on the river that almost sound human. At first, that’s what she thought she was hearing.

“I realized very quickly that what I was hearing was ‘Help!’ ” she said.

She ran inside and grabbed binoculars to scan the

river while her husband called 911 shortly before 1:30 p.m. and set up his spotting scope.

The boy’s screams grew weaker and weaker then stopped, she said.

With her binoculars, Schutsky said, she saw a tiny dot near the middle of the river, but closer to the York side. The river is more than a mile wide in the area.

“It’s called Conowingo Pond,” Schutsky said. “It’s not a pond. It’s got plenty of current.”

Firefighters rescued the boy, who was clinging to the kayak, soon after arriving. Smith wasn’t sure how long the boy had been in the water.

Firefighters then retrieved the kayak and the six-point buck, which was tied to the kayak.

A Pennsylvania Game Commission officer took the buck, presumably so it wouldn’t go to waste, Smith said.

Conestoga and Rawlinsville fire companies also responded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 12:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

sounds scary , I bet he was relieved that someone heard him and called for help. bey he was happy and releived to see the firemen coming to get hm. hope he inproves soon
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Banned

You have to question how smart it is going out on that stretch of the river hunting from a Kayak for deer and putting a deer in one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 12:47 PM

Scary indeed. I give him credit for being that committed but he may want to hunt a little safer and smarter next year.
Danesdad, VaPa hunter and JJ4D like this.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 12:59 PM

That poor young man went through all that for his buck just to have the game commission take it?? I sure hope they processed it and plan on giving it back to the young hunter. I'm sure we will never know, but man, that stinks.

Previously JJ5C
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 01:05 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
You have to question how smart it is going out on that stretch of the river hunting from a Kayak for deer and putting a deer in one.

Yep. The Susquehanna is no joke, especially in December. Next time a john boat would be in order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ4D View Post
That poor young man went through all that for his buck just to have the game commission take it?? I sure hope they processed it and plan on giving it back to the young hunter. I'm sure we will never know, but man, that stinks.

I too would hope he gets his buck back. Most important though, is that he's OK. Thank God for that woman's quick thinking!
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 01:12 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Saw that on Lancaster Online. Assuming it was a morning hunt, who lets their kid load up a kayak, paddle across the mile wide, deep Susky, in the dark. Let alone, coming back with deer, if successful.

I'm all for thinking outside of the box to access hunting areas. Just wonder if this was a nice quiet way to get into a spot that was posted.

Bowhunting IS life...The rest is just details!
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 01:45 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Quote:
The 16-year-old boy was taken to Lancaster General Hospital to be treated for severe hypothermia, said Phil Smith, chief of Robert Fulton Fire Company. He remained hospitalized Sunday afternoon.
Enough Said!!
yellodog and gentleben like this.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 01:52 PM

I’ve literally done exactly what this kid when I was his age. I had a canoe not a kayak and never had a problem. But looking back, it’s scary as heck. I would never do that these days. Young and dumb, and extremely lucky.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loridr View Post
Yep. The Susquehanna is no joke, especially in December. Next time a john boat would be in order.

I too would hope he gets his buck back. Most important though, is that he's OK. Thank God for that woman's quick thinking!
I suspect the PGC took charge f his deer to make sure he gets it back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page