Still Hunting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Still Hunting

Im not a great still hunter. Looking for tips to improve my chances.
Keep wind in my face
Dont outline
Dont stop in the open
Please add.....
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 04:04 PM

Go SLOW, stay alert, learn to identify places deer are likely to be holed up, and the major one for me, KEEP YOUR GUN IN YOUR HANDS. A gun slung over your shoulder isn’t killing any deer, and more often than not when still hunting you don’t get a whole lot of time when you do find deer.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 04:07 PM
The Man

..use binocs...and.scan...move a few yards...scan....move a few yards...the binocs will be your #1 tool for success..
BCozhunter and ruger300 like this.

If the hay is layed..a yote will be slayed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 05:05 PM
The Man

My biggest thing is after a hour or two I start getting sloppy. End up moving too quickly, making too much noise or not stopping and scanning my surroundings enough. I am trying to work on maintaining my focus once I get into a hour or two of a still hunting expedition. On my end thatís the hardest part.
ruger300 likes this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead125 View Post
My biggest thing is after a hour or two I start getting sloppy. End up moving too quickly, making too much noise or not stopping and scanning my surroundings enough. I am trying to work on maintaining my focus once I get into a hour or two of a still hunting expedition. On my end that’s the hardest part.
I get that way too. These days I take it as a cue to sit down be still for a half hour or so.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 07:15 PM
The Man

Get good glass, and use it A Lot. Dont sound like a human walking. Move slow, and methodically. Use wind, and other sounds to your advantage. A light handy rifle helps. There was a good thread on still hunting tips a month or so ago.

I keep my rifle slung almost all of the time, you have to so that you can use binos as much as you need to. I can get my rifle off of my shoulder and be on target quickly.

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/#/topics/301463
limbhnger10 and ruger300 like this.

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"

Last edited by Buckshot1822; 12-08-2019 at 07:17 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 07:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm terrible at it. You have to be confident in the area to do it. Don't waste your time snail pacing through ground where there are no deer. I kill deer doing it but takes lot of patience.
limbhnger10 and ruger300 like this.

The sleep of a laborer is sweet, while the rich man tosses and turns, worried about his possessions.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 08:30 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaPa hunter View Post
I'm terrible at it. You have to be confident in the area to do it. Don't waste your time snail pacing through ground where there are no deer. I kill deer doing it but takes lot of patience.
It depends what your motive is. I still hunt some places that you dont see many deer, might not see any some days. But when you do its a hog of a buck usually.
ruger300 likes this.

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 09:13 PM
The Man

Never was much of a still hunter; did most of my deer hunting here in the south east out of tree stands. I have done a little around here, and some more upstate, and killed a handful of deer that way. BUT, when it worked for me it was less a matter of me doing it right, and more a matter of stumbling into deer, or more accurately, deer stumbling into me.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 09:19 PM

I will add that some days the conditions are better suited than others. Hunting Ohio this morning it was dead calm quiet and the ground was frosty and crunchy. No way you were sneaking up on anything in those conditions. Of course snow is good and so it windy rainy days. I also like dry noisy days that have gusts of wind. Move when the wind is blowing and stand still when it quits or slows down. I like those days because you can hear deer moving.

I agree with Steel though that my biggest problem is getting sloppy after a while.
ruger300 likes this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page