The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Do you believe deer kill numbers?

14K views 190 replies 58 participants last post by  Fleroo 
#1 ·
Do you believe yearly game commission deer kill numbers every year. NO

#8 ·
I don’t see how anyone could. Complete guess.
Not sure why in the modern world they don’t have required online or call in kill tag numbers like most Midwest states.
That way if you don’t report you don’t get a number and then if you get caught it’s an illegal kill. Hoping people report is just stupid

#14 ·
..when was the last time you killed a PA animal that required reporting?...because they've had an online harvest reporting for ..well quite a while..FYI

..most states now use the estimate method also...due to the fact that statistically "x" amount tag and report...and "x" amount tag and do not report...

#9 ·
its mandatory to report your kill in Pa. its not optional. maybe if they had processors file reports with the hunters name and license number, more people would report their kill.
taxidermists had to do this, not sure if they still have to or not.

#13 ·
Did someone do their best imitation of Mel Gibson on this thread? I mean, are we remaking conspiracy theory all over again? Wow....

There has to be a catch to this threads beginnings, no one asks this without an angle or ulterior reasoning...

#16 · (Edited)
Yes I do, I believe they could be higher because our report rate leaves a lot to be desired. Poor hunters do not believe the numbers. The PGC knows the report rate for every county in the state based on years of gathering data and quite frankly it does not bode well for PA hunters exercising responsibility of reporting their kills. However, since they know the report rate the projection of the harvest is very accurate.

#18 ·
This would not even be a topic of discussion if every hunter did the simple thing required to do. Report your harvest!!!! Its so simple a cave man can do it. Like I said before a mandatorily report of yay or nay receive a conformation number or no license purchase next year it would end the bull! I would love to hear an actual account vs. an estimate but what else choice do they have to do.

#20 ·
I shot a buck this afternoon and just reported it online. So you can believe that one.

Foxpro, as far as all your other posts about not seeing deer because of pgc. They are out there.
You can’t set in one spot for 2 or 3 days and hope that someone pushes something to you. Get off your bucket and move around. Or should I say tell your grandkids to. Seeing how you don’t hunt, just complain.

If your not catching fish in a hole with your over priced fly fishing gear you don’t stay in the same hole. Do you?

Yeah you can say that I have read enough of your posts and it finally hit a nerve!

#22 ·
Yep, I believe it is as statistically accurate as it can be and they do the best they can with the data they can gather. Is it possibly off by +/- 5-10% every year, most likely....but still close enough to show trends and manage the deer herd by.

It really is just SIMPLE statistics...after all. The OP is just bitter.

#23 ·
This is quite funny... The agency that sets our seasons and bag limits is being accused of lying to us? I mean, did they change their name to the Democratic National committee and I missed the announcement? What is to question and where do you come up with saying they are watering the numbers simply because in your narrow part of the world, "you" do not see ant deer?

Wow,,,

Reactions: Mussgrass
#25 ·
Of course not. In addition to outlaws not reporting kills ya got yer lazy boys who can't be bothered, Bigfeets, Eastern Mountain Lions, Alien abductors, Satanic Cults, and I even heard from somebody that when insurance company employees hit a deer they're not allowed to file a claim so the numbers stay low, but don't tell anybody cause it's all supposed to be a secret wink wink). >:)

#28 ·
Most who claim to not believe the harvest numbers are those who didn’t kill a deer and can’t believe that anyone else could have either...

They believe that the PGC “inflates” the numbers to make it seem as if there are deer out there that people are killing, but there just can’t be because THEY didn’t kill one.

And as we’ve seen, there are still others that believe that ALL the numbers that the PGC puts out are fake to try and “dupe” everyone.

HOWEVER, if the harvest numbers suddenly went down, they would be shouting from the rooftops about how there aren’t any deer out there and the declining harvest numbers “prove” it.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.