Fatal Hunting Accident - Tyrone PA - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes
  • 5 Post By Dogface

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Fatal Hunting Accident - Tyrone PA

https://www.altoonamirror.com/news/l...im-identified/

TYRONE — State police Tuesday identified the victim of a fatal hunting-related shooting as 42-year-old Mahlon C. Osterhout Jr. of Tyrone.

State police spokesman Christopher Fox said an autopsy was performed Tuesday and said no further details were available pending the completion of the investigation into the incident.

Emergency personnel and police were called to an area in the woods off Route 453 in Snyder Township, north of Tyrone, about 6 p.m. Monday.

Blair County Coroner Patricia Ross said Monday night the shooting of the 42-year-old appeared accidental but a final determination was pending further investigation.

Ross said Osterhout and another man, who is also in his 40s, were deer hunting when Osterhout was shot.

William will you teach me how to write, Cassius will you show me how to fight.

Last edited by Bates; 12-04-2019 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Text of article added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Anyone hear of any more details on this?

William will you teach me how to write, Cassius will you show me how to fight.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 09:12 AM

Berks Co had a fatality as well as the result of a treestand fall, 69 year old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 09:12 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks. I haven't heard anymore, but this is the first announcement I've heard that labeled it hunting-related.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 08:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I saw it on Blair county breaking news, considering my dad was up there, I headed up immediately. Buddy called and said victim drives a gray jeep, which my dad drives. Quite a feeling of fear Iíve not felt before. I pull up to 15 police, pgc, and fire police and ask if it was a gunshot.. He wouldnít say much. Once I passed thru, the guy on the other end directing traffic, verified yes gun shot, and said 10-5, heís dead. My heart sank, as Iím looking down into the woods walking flashlights coming up. I asked if the vehicle parked there was the victims, which was, but a different model than my dads. Gheeez. I continued on a 4 mile trip that brings me within 500 yards of where the guy was shot, to find my dad dragging a buck at 7:15. Talked about one extreme to the next! He heard the fatal shot below but didnít know.

Since then, Iíve heard thru a friend, the PGC said the deer was between the two guys who were hunting together, one guy shot the deer, went thru the deer and hit the other guy in the neck killing him instantly. It was a doe (buck only now) and Iím told alcohol was involved. PGC recovered the deer. Hopefully more comes out on it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightine View Post
Since then, Iíve heard thru a friend, the PGC said the deer was between the two guys who were hunting together, one guy shot the deer, went thru the deer and hit the other guy in the neck killing him instantly. It was a doe (buck only now) and Iím told alcohol was involved. PGC recovered the deer. Hopefully more comes out on it.

Very possible. I heard a guy hit a deer and the two buddies were tracking it. One guy saw movement while tracking and shot not realizing it was his buddy. Either way a sad, preventable story.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 09:48 PM
The Man

Hightine I can only imagine what you were going through. I'm glad everything worked out OK for you.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 11:26 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPlank View Post
Berks Co had a fatality as well as the result of a treestand fall, 69 year old.
Berks had another one the next day. Guy slipped and shot himself with his crossbow.

WMU 5B 5C 4C 3D 2G
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 12:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

prayers sent to both fmilies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page