The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Any positive CWD test yet

11K views 92 replies 32 participants last post by  bohunr 
#1 ·
You guys that killed deer and had them tested have any test positive yet?

#2 ·
I’m in the middle of DMA 3....it’s only a matter of time...thank you deer farmers and Dept of Ag...makes me sick...daughter came through the house yesterday after she stepped in deer ----...first thought was......great....I have prions all through my kitchen... Transportation of live deer is why we are in this position right now...should have stopped 20 years ago....no deer should of been allowed to enter the state... Used to love to shoot a couple doe for my family to enjoy...I loved processing and making all kinds of jerky and sausage......now not so sure...

#3 ·
Yep, know the feeling. My test so far came back “Not Detected” but I now field dress and handle my deer like it’s a HAZMAT operation. I am really hoping a field test kit will be available soon.

#9 ·
Good information on that page. Thanks.

I've always wondered at what point they started taking wild samples to test for CWD. I am very skeptical of the bar graph that shows over 3,000 sampled wild deer every year since 2004. Who was paying for those tests? Where were they getting their samples? I'd like to see some more information backing up those numbers.

#22 ·
Friend of mine hunts Maryland he said he has eaten 2 cwd positive deer from Maryland. I’m in the newly expanded area. Didn’t have mine checked. Tastes good!

There have been no positive tests in the Area I hunt. Closest has been 20 miles away.

If your taking your deer to the butcher and he gets 70 deer in and is cutting your deer up with same equipment as all the others. Does it really matter if your deer tested positive or not? Your meat could still be exposed to it.

Wait a minute here I’m starting to get dizzshhebbsjjsj

#23 ·
If your taking your deer to the butcher and he gets 70 deer in and is cutting your deer up with same equipment as all the others. Does it really matter if your deer tested positive or not? Your meat could still be exposed to it.
I've thought of this. I used to take a deer to the processor once in a while if I knew I didn't have the time to take care of it. I don't even hunt in any CWD areas and I no longer take deer to a processor unless it is being donated. I'll make the time to butcher it. I would also bet that there are guys hunting in CWD areas that are illegally taking deer out of the areas and to their local processor.

#31 ·
I would not eat a deer that looked or was acting sick because it could have many problems, not just CWD. I have little doubt that I haven't already eaten a CWD infected deer. It may well be that many here have. As for my family they are mostly hunters as well and feel the exact same way about it that I do. Not worried about it.

How many people have died from eating lettuce or other vegetables tainted with e coli? Quite a few I think. But people are still eating salad aren't they?

#36 ·
I wouldn't eat any animal if it physically looked sick, but I'm not (not) going to eat a healthy deer because it might be infected with CWD. I am more worried about these mass recalls of poultry, lettuce, etc that people consume everyday, along with restaurants who's employees cough and sneeze on the food they are preparing.

We've all seen the videos of restaurant employees licking the food and serving it to customers, or dropping food on the floor and using the "5 second rule". This is more of a worry to me than CWD.

For anyone who has Netflix, I suggest watching the documentary title "Rats". This doc shows just how many rats live in NYC and the diseases they carry and how much they come in contact with humans. Everyone is worried about CWD but there isn't any evidence that CWD effects humans, but there is evidence to support the Bubonic plague and typhus.

#45 ·
Yep I get it. We will just have to agree to disagree. It is a polarizing topic no doubt. If I knew how to set up a survey on here I would. Just curious what the split would be of "Not worried about eating a CWD infected deer" vs. "No way, no how would I eat it."
bohunr, How do you know CWD is not present already in 1B, you may already be eating cwd meat. How about deer taken in cwd area ending up at local butcher and prions are in 1B, Actually I'm thinking the whole state has some form of CWD. Either way we all get to take a turn at dying, there is no way out. Just something to ponder. Bob

Spot on Outback. Lets go a little farther. How many members on this forum are 25 pounds or more over weight? How many smoke? How many get little or no excerise? how many have over weight children or grandchildren? How many have uncontrolled high blood pressure? How many are pre diabetic?
All these things are KNOWN KILLERS. Hundreds of thousands a year die from heart disease and stroke or cancer. Yet people do these things that are known to have high risk for these diseases and nobody freaks out. Why don't we look at them and say, misinformed or whatever. Because life has its risks. Nobody ever died from CWD.

CWD is about the deer and the elk. And the future of our sport, and for some of us a way of life.

Good luck. Good hunting.

#43 ·
Agreed. Not to mention it is taken up in plants and has been in the midwest for years where a majority of our grain comes from. How long has it been in PA? Just because we first detected it in 2012 doesn't mean that's when it showed up. My exact point when asking about the 3000+ tested deer/year since 2002. Where did those deer come from? Butcher shops? Road kill? Deer farms????

It's not going to jump species. More hysteria.

#48 ·
no doubt CWD is already in our food chain. its in plants aka grains that get made into all kinds of stuff in our kitchen, including bread and cereal. but i still wont eat a positive deer. i dont know what products i have that have cwd in it or even if its in it, so i will consume those products.

IF...cwd ever crosses the barrier we are done.

#53 ·
I prefer to take a cautious approach for any potential for CWD to adversely affect humans and let continuing research determine the best ways to deal with its spread, in our deer and elk herds. Ending the transportation of farm-raised cervids, would be a good start.

Too much misinformation being put out on CWD to suit me. Like the supposed "field tests" being marketed last year. And "research" like Dr. Bastian's, that couldn't be duplicated by any of the other universities and labs conducting CWD research, being touted as accurate.

Hysteria/misinformation, could eventually have the same affect as the efforts by groups like PETA and Humane Society US, in bringing an end to sport hunting.

#61 ·
It would be difficult to diagnose CWD in Democrats being as how they are already brain dead!

Guys guys are on to something here. Better call the CDC. On second thought, lets just let it go.>:):grin2:

Reactions: bohunr and Buff
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.