Javelina - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Javelina

Just found out my grandson got drawn for javelina. If you have never hunted them and I would imagine few here have they are are not as easy as some may lead you to believe. Their eyesight is not as good as deer or coyotes but their hearing and nose is on par with anything out there. I stopped hunting them many years ago as we canít find a good way to cook them and we tried it all different ways. Once did some on the grill and it was so bad that even our dog would not eat it. The last two or three I killed I gave away to a monastery down here. They at times will come into a call but most times we would just go up a ways on the hill and just glass, once found it becomes a stalk hunt.

They blend in pretty good with our terrain. If you didn't know what your looking for you wouldn't know that there is a javelins there.

I carry a gun because I'm to young to die and to old to take a ass whipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 06:26 PM
Sage

I see it, rocks or logs don't have fur. I don't know much about them but I thought I might like to hunt them sometime. I do know they have some kind of stink gland that must be removed before you can eat them.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 06:38 PM

good luck to your grandson. remember the pictures and details after the hunt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
I see it, rocks or logs don't have fur. I don't know much about them but I thought I might like to hunt them sometime. I do know they have some kind of stink gland that must be removed before you can eat them.

Scent gland is on their back and pulls off easy when you skin them. Always had a double tree in the truck, would find a tree that I could hang it in then skinned and butchered in the field. A cooler with frozen water jugs keep the meat cool on the ride home.

If you ever want to come out let me know and I'll help best I can. It's a draw so ya got to get lucky to get a tag.
bohunr and flintlock hunter like this.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 06:47 PM
Sage

I appreciate that, I have been thinking about coming out that way to take a pronghorn before it is too late to do so. If I do I will pm you.
bohunr likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 06:52 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Seems to me when I was in Sedona a couple years ago I asked a guy about them and he told me whatever the Mexicans do to them they can make them decently edible but was unaware of what that was.
bohunr likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
I appreciate that, I have been thinking about coming out that way to take a pronghorn before it is too late to do so. If I do I will pm you.
Pronghorn tags in our area are far and few between. But we do have some small scattered herds. Coyotes play havoc on the young ones.

bohunr, RacksnQuacks and rcshank85 like this.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 11:58 PM
Part of the Community

Got drawn for the General Hunt for 37A, sent application for second tag also in Unit 37A for the HAM Hunt. Always hunt the North side of the Tortolita Mountains. It's a nice area up there and it is also close to home.
bohunr likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 03:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've taken them in Texas and Mexico. The one standing up and skinning it if officially measured may be a muzzleloader record, took it with the flintlock in Texas. Easy to measure just like a bear, skull length + width rounded up to nearest 16th. After drying time I conservatively measured it by rounding down. I got 14 13/16, the current record was 14 12/16, number two 14 11/16, number three was a good bit below that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R0011231.jpg (396.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg R0011276.jpg (446.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P1070122.jpg (743.9 KB, 8 views)

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.
I was recently talking with a coworker who lives in Tuscon. I mentioned that I would like to hunt Javelina sometime if I'm out there, because I assumed they tasted like wild pig. She looked at me like I was nuts, then told me that they're horrible tasting. I never knew about the scent gland on them. Learn something new all the time.
bohunr likes this.

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page