Best way to remove deer head and antlers for CWD testing? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By Woods walker
  • 3 Post By Woods walker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Best way to remove deer head and antlers for CWD testing?

If you harvest a deer in a CWD DMA, you are supposed to remove the head and submit it for testing. But you are also supposed to avoid the high risk parts of the animal, which includes the brain and spinal tissue. Since the spinal chord needs to be cut to remove the head, this presents a conundrum.

So what is the safest way to remove the head to reduce the risk of coming in contact with infected tissues as much as possible?

And how do you cut the antler skull plate off without exposing yourself to infected brain tissue?

Last edited by Flint Lock; 11-13-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 02:55 PM
The Man

Great question, I've wondered about that as well. My guess is to bag your knife / saw etc. until you can disinfect with bleach.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 03:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Lock View Post
If you harvest a deer in a CWD DMA, you are supposed to remove the head and submit it for testing. But you are also supposed to avoid the high risk parts of the animal, which includes the brain and spinal tissue. Since the spinal chord needs to be cut to remove the head, this presents a conundrum.

So what is the safest way to remove the head to reduce the risk of coming in contact with infected tissues as much as possible?

And how do you cut the antler skull plate off without exposing yourself to infected brain tissue?
Cut all arounf the neck just under the head to the bone, then twist the head around until the spine and cord part and drop the head in a plastic bag.
loridr and gonetocamp like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 05:27 PM
Banned

Quote:

Very easy. Skin your deer to the neck. Cut off with saw. Wear gloves if you are that scared of CWD. If you want the horns cut them off with a saw. I use a Sawzall. Remove small skin membrane from skull plate before you leave the CWD area. Once home boil skull plate and you are good to go. I have hunted CWD states long before the scare PA hunters are going through. I never wore gloves and will continue to never wear gloves. If loving hunting kills me because CWD at least I died loving what I want to do. If it bothers you and you are scared get a tyvec suit and cover your whole body.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 06:04 PM
Sage

Nice, the guy was trying to get info to comply with the law and you give him that.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338/378wm View Post
Very easy. Skin your deer to the neck. Cut off with saw. Wear gloves if you are that scared of CWD. If you want the horns cut them off with a saw. I use a Sawzall. Remove small skin membrane from skull plate before you leave the CWD area. Once home boil skull plate and you are good to go. I have hunted CWD states long before the scare PA hunters are going through. I never wore gloves and will continue to never wear gloves. If loving hunting kills me because CWD at least I died loving what I want to do. If it bothers you and you are scared get a tyvec suit and cover your whole body.
So you think I'd be ok if just used a chainsaw and splattered blood and brains all over the place? Maybe if I rip its heart out and eat it right there on the spot, I might find favor with the hunting gods and they will protect me from CWD.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 03:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
So you think I'd be ok if just used a chainsaw and splattered blood and brains all over the place? Maybe if I rip its heart out and eat it right there on the spot, I might find favor with the hunting gods and they will protect me from CWD.
If thats what you want to do go for it. You and the hunting gods is your business. Actually sounds kind of weird to me that you think that way. Good luck with your situation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page