The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

What's your unconventional hunting accessory?

4K views 41 replies 30 participants last post by  BCozhunter 
#1 ·
I actually have 2. I use a life preserver cushion as my tree stand cushion. 2" thick. Much better than what comes with the tree stand. I use an old binocular case tied to the side of my tree stand to keep my accessories in, range finder, cell phone, snack.

#3 ·
I carry a thing I made. Its a piece of 1/4 inch plywood 2"X3", it has 2 3/0 fish hooks on it with the sharp ends cut off. One screwed one each side of the wood. I put a wire loop at the top of it so I can hook my hoist rope to it. If I drop something out of my stand (Climber) I hook it on my rope and fish what ever I dropped back up. One day in my haste to get up the tree I forgot to hook my bow to the hoist line. In less than a minute I hooked the bow and had it in the stand. The guys at camp call me the mad inventor.

#7 ·
I have a regular "possibles bag" for my flints and powder and balls and what not, it hangs on my left side. But I also have a much larger leather bag with a flap that hangs on my right side for sandwiches, water bottle, gloves and others things. It started its life as a woman's purse. I got it at a garage sale years ago, put a couple coats of mink oil on it and it is about perfect. I hate back packs for hunting. To much motion and noise getting them on and off to reach something and zippers are noisy and unreliable. I can lift the flap on this "purse" bag and see down into it and get what i want. No noise no fuss. As for the purse, what the heck any woman would need a purse that big for is beyond me. Unless maybe she was a blackpowder long hunter like myself.:smile_big:

#9 ·
Here is a picture of my unconventional hunting accessories.

I bicycled in 1.09 miles then killed an adult doe with the crossbow. It took me a half hour to get the deer out to a game lands fire line where I could get the deer on a cart. Then it took me about fifteen minutes to pull the cart out to the game lands road where my bike was stashed. Once I got the cart attached to the bike I had 1.09 miles to get it out to my truck. Normally not an easy task on bare ground.

It took me a total of ten minutes to bicycle the deer the 1.09 miles out to my truck. Sure beats dragging or pulling the cart by hand.

Dick Bodenhorn

Attachments

#13 ·
Here is a picture of my unconventional hunting accessories.

I bicycled in 1.09 miles then killed an adult doe with the crossbow. It took me a half hour to get the deer out to a game lands fire line where I could get the deer on a cart. Then it took me about fifteen minutes to pull the cart out to the game lands road where my bike was stashed. Once I got the cart attached to the bike I had 1.09 miles to get it out to my truck. Normally not an easy task on bare ground.

It took me a total of ten minutes to bicycle the deer the 1.09 miles out to my truck. Sure beats dragging or pulling the cart by hand.

Dick Bodenhorn

nice rig !!!!!

would you be available if/when I get a deer ? :grin2:

#19 ·
Not an unconventional item but wanted to share a link for a game cart I just bought. Like Dick's set-up Sherpa makes game carts and bike attachments as well as many other products for hauling gear. I just bought their magnum aluminum cart with 20 inch sealed bearing wheels and only weighs fifteen pounds. I made my adult daughter get on the cart and I hauled her all around the yard and along the side of a hill and it never felt unstable and really pulls nice. I didn't get the bike attachment yet.

https://www.sherpahunting.com/products.html

#20 ·
When my kids were little, we had a mirror that clipped to the visor in the car, so you could keep an eye on them in the backseat. Now that mirror gets clipped to the corner of the shooting rail on my tree stand. It's a convex mirror, so you can see a wide area. I can watch behind my tree without turning around. I've spotted at least one deer sneaking behind me.

#21 ·
I should put some mirrors on the little trailer blind I put out in the hay field at camp? Or a small window in the entry door at the back. It's about 40 yards from the woods behind it and now and then deer will come out from that direction.

My unconventional aid, is a beat up old Bronco II that I hauled up there for a camp jalopy years ago. It ain't purty, but mechanically, works fine. Turned over 111 miles on the trip odometer this fall. That's how much walking it's saved me on worn out feets and knees, since I can take it to within a few hundred yards of my stands.

Except for last rifle season, when it was too muddy the entire first week, to use it. It replaced a 10 year old Kawasaki Bayou ATV, at a fraction of the cost of a handier ATV, Doors, heater, wipers and the cigarette lighter still works.

It's small enough to use on the trails in the woods, so I can take it into the woods and fill the back up with firewood. And it's hauled a few dead deer, too. Gets around pretty well in FWD low, if it doesn't turn into monsoon season.

#22 ·
Although I no longer use it, when I was still hunting waterfowl out of a Barnegat bay sneak box, sitting flat on your butt on a wooden floor with your legs stretched straight out in front of you got very hard on said butt. Two buddies and I that hunted together came up with an idea that worked like a champ. We bought garden tractor rear wheel inner tubes and through experimentation found that under inflating them so that they were just firm enough so the top and bottom of the inner tub would not touch when you sat on them. We could sit all day and not get pain in the butt. We also had covers made for them. They never left our boats after that and when I sold my boat the seat went with it after the new owner sat on it.

#23 ·
Due to bad hearing I also use a clip on mirror that has a gooseneck on it. Great for rear viewing . I also modified a hunting seat pad with a half moon cut out in the back where your tail bone is. Its like those geriatric pads you can buy. Less pressure for the all day sits. I use an old gas mask bag and strap for what I call my gut and drag bag. It contains gloves, zip ties, water bottles, rope, drag harness ,knife and saw. Usually leave in the truck and go back to truck , drop off gun/bow extra clothes then go back with bag. I keep license and knife on me while hunting.
During the rut a few years ago I tied a small white rag to a tree near my stand with a fishline to the top of stand. Some times bucks hang up too far for archery and wont come in to calls because they don't see a doe. A quick yank on the string flicks the rag. Haven't killed one yet but have had them come closer for a look and that's what you hope for. Im convinced it will work someday. Light and easy to set up.

#34 ·
During the rut a few years ago I tied a small white rag to a tree near my stand with a fishline to the top of stand. Some times bucks hang up too far for archery and wont come in to calls because they don't see a doe. A quick yank on the string flicks the rag. Haven't killed one yet but have had them come closer for a look and that's what you hope for. Im convinced it will work someday. Light and easy to set up.
I do something similar, a golf ball in a white sock tied to my pull up rope. Give it a jerk when a buck needs a little convincing, the motion and noise it makes when it hits the leaves will make him a beleiver. Doubled my rate of commitment from bucks i called to. Deadly effective.

#36 · (Edited)
I bought a pair two years ago. I've been hunting 40 years. I don't know how I hunted the first 38 with out them. They were a game changer for doing bear drives in mountain laurel. Boots stay tied and free of snow and debris. Not sure how unconventional this is but many times I use a closed cell foam pad to put under my feet to keep them warm. I also took one of those 2 piece, ATV rifle holders that mount on the rack and attached it to the side rail of my climber. When I want to stand up in the stand, I can put the rifle in there so I don't have to hold it or hang it on a hook. It worked for holding my longbow as well.

#29 · (Edited)
I’ve taken curtain hanger hooks and modified the hook part so I could hang stuff from them while in my climber. I would Take a webbing strap and tie around the tree and slide the one part down onto the webbing. I left my bow on the ground once and was able to use one to hook and pull the bow up. Maybe they’re drape hangers

#30 ·
I always used a Quikee quiver on my vertical bows.
On the shooting rails of my climber and ladder stands I bought extra quiver mounts and screwed them to the
right side of the rail using self taping screws. I never liked shooting with a quiver on the bow.
After I hoist up the Bow I remove the quiver and attach it to the mount. If a second shot is needed
the arrows are right there in reach.

#37 ·
This is (for me) a necessity for hunting. I have a few products from Gerbing's. (You can search that). First I have one of their 7-V heated vest. I take two of their lithium rechargeable batteries with me for the day. I wear the vest under my coat and when I zip my coat up.....ekeep the heat setting on low, two batteries will last all day and keep my body really warm.

For my feet I wear Gerbings 12-V heated socks. I would even recommend the 7-V socks as charging and keeping batteries is much easier. However, I have one larger 12-V battery that on low, will keep my feet warm all day. BTW, the 12-V battery size is only 1.5"x 3.5"x 4.5" and it has a wireless heat control.

I'm disabled so moving around....taking a walk to warm up just isn't in the cards. I'm all about creature comforts!!!

#40 ·
When my kids were little, we had a mirror that clipped to the visor in the car, so you could keep an eye on them in the backseat. Now that mirror gets clipped to the corner of the shooting rail on my tree stand. It's a convex mirror, so you can see a wide area. I can watch behind my tree without turning around. I've spotted at least one deer sneaking behind me.

That's not a bad idea at all. I may have to utilize that.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.