What's your unconventional hunting accessory? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

What's your unconventional hunting accessory?

I actually have 2. I use a life preserver cushion as my tree stand cushion. 2" thick. Much better than what comes with the tree stand. I use an old binocular case tied to the side of my tree stand to keep my accessories in, range finder, cell phone, snack.
steelhead125 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 01:36 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Binocular case is a good tip, will save a lot of dropped things. Baking soda in boots and clothes for scent control and screw in hangers from lowes or home depot. ( private property of course )
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 06:53 AM

I carry a thing I made. Its a piece of 1/4 inch plywood 2"X3", it has 2 3/0 fish hooks on it with the sharp ends cut off. One screwed one each side of the wood. I put a wire loop at the top of it so I can hook my hoist rope to it. If I drop something out of my stand (Climber) I hook it on my rope and fish what ever I dropped back up. One day in my haste to get up the tree I forgot to hook my bow to the hoist line. In less than a minute I hooked the bow and had it in the stand. The guys at camp call me the mad inventor.
lanctrapper and Curly Maple like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 06:57 AM
New Arrival

My old work lunch box is my black powder nessessity box. And office chair is tree stand seat.
Buckskin Dave likes this.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 07:00 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt rudy View Post
I carry a thing I made. Its a piece of 1/4 inch plywood 2"X3", it has 2 3/0 fish hooks on it with the sharp ends cut off. One screwed one each side of the wood. I put a wire loop at the top of it so I can hook my hoist rope to it. If I drop something out of my stand (Climber) I hook it on my rope and fish what ever I dropped back up. One day in my haste to get up the tree I forgot to hook my bow to the hoist line. In less than a minute I hooked the bow and had it in the stand. The guys at camp call me the mad inventor.
What is it they say.....necessity is the mother of invention? Perfect example.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 08:31 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204ruger100% View Post
My old work lunch box is my black powder nessessity box. And office chair is tree stand seat.
You took mine! I was going to say office chair for a blind seat.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 11:12 AM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
I have a regular "possibles bag" for my flints and powder and balls and what not, it hangs on my left side. But I also have a much larger leather bag with a flap that hangs on my right side for sandwiches, water bottle, gloves and others things. It started its life as a woman's purse. I got it at a garage sale years ago, put a couple coats of mink oil on it and it is about perfect. I hate back packs for hunting. To much motion and noise getting them on and off to reach something and zippers are noisy and unreliable. I can lift the flap on this "purse" bag and see down into it and get what i want. No noise no fuss. As for the purse, what the heck any woman would need a purse that big for is beyond me. Unless maybe she was a blackpowder long hunter like myself.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 11:12 AM
Frequent Contributor

Corncob pipe with captain black cherry pipe tobacco
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 04:21 PM

Here is a picture of my unconventional hunting accessories.

I bicycled in 1.09 miles then killed an adult doe with the crossbow. It took me a half hour to get the deer out to a game lands fire line where I could get the deer on a cart. Then it took me about fifteen minutes to pull the cart out to the game lands road where my bike was stashed. Once I got the cart attached to the bike I had 1.09 miles to get it out to my truck. Normally not an easy task on bare ground.

It took me a total of ten minutes to bicycle the deer the 1.09 miles out to my truck. Sure beats dragging or pulling the cart by hand.

Dick Bodenhorn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019 doe to truck.jpg (390.4 KB, 91 views)
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 04:43 PM

neat contraption you got there. looks like it does the job

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page