CWD Dissappointment - Page 8 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 138Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 107 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 11:47 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepines View Post
I've got totry to put a not so negative spin on this.

I like everyone here, have concerns about CWD, and am fortunate to have a biologist college buddy who has had many convos with us at the cabin wrt CWD and other challenges in the state, as he worked with the PGC for several years. It sure is a tough disease to control.

But to me as a hunter, CWD/EHD/Cars whatever kills deer....is a problem, BUT THEY ALL kill something that we as conservationists enjoy hunting for harvest/tablefare. The reality is all of these "takers" of our quarry have been around for decades (even though some more recently to PA).

"We" as a community can take whatever precautions we feel justified/necessary to control the spread, but this has been around since the 60s and has been "traveling" state to state...naturally, in a cage for hunting preserves/stud farms, or in the back of a pickup truck cooler for equally as long. I in no way am dismissing the effects of a badass prion that has a long standing ability to infect an area, but to me dead is dead.

I'd bet a dollar to a dime that all of those butcher shops that have "closed the doors" to out of state butchering or CWD managed areas, have already processed deer from those very areas and have likely used an "infected" knife on all of the deer laying behind it.

While I realize that control seems to be the operative word, in my mind, that barn door has been open for quite some time now, so to worry about spread of it, is like pissin in the wind. It is what it is.

We all can do our best, butcher our own deer...whatevs. But at the end of the day, this has, is, and will be around for decades to come, so it is what it is.

I'm not going to let it stop me from what I enjoy. I just caution everyone to just keep an eye on it, but don't run off the deep end think that the hunting world is coming to an end. That doomsday stuff does no good and serves little purpose to the reality of the situation. Areas that have been affected are bouncing back, and I'd bet hunter in said areas, are eating their harvest.

I in no way am trying to diminish the challenges that it creates, but just trying to bring a level headed approach to how I/we deal with it, as its something we will contend with for some time, but it too shall pass.

Enjoy your time afield. I know I will.

Nut
Well-said, sir.
JJ4D likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 107 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAWC View Post
Are you trying to say that I attacked pchunter about his precautions?
My post was addressed "To All" and the same post was made in a couple of other threads.
bohunr likes this.

MAGA 2020
post #73 of 107 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 12:13 PM

Seems there's a live test now.

13 Elk Caught in Park Test Positive for Disease ? CWD-INFO.ORG

https://www.bovinevetonline.com/arti...nimal-test-cwd
bohunr and pchunter1231 like this.

“Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourteen percent of all people know that.”

“Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I don’t understand.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 107 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Good news if they developed a test to test the live animals.
bohunr and Littlepines like this.

4B

Last edited by pchunter1231; 10-17-2019 at 04:08 PM.
post #75 of 107 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchunter1231 View Post
Good news.

not for the ones that tested positive
pchunter1231 likes this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #76 of 107 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
not for the ones that tested positive
I edited it for you lol.
bohunr likes this.

4B
post #77 of 107 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 06:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
Next test would be, feed the meat to death roll inmates
bohunr and Littlepines like this.
post #78 of 107 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 11:19 PM
Part of the Community

it was only a matter of time

[QUOTE=Woods walker;3634305]CWD did not come into PA naturally, it came in from the interstate transportation of pen raised deer, that is how it came across the Mississippi. We had a natural barrier but the deer farmers in their infinite wisdom thought it would be better to put money in their pockets than to use that mush between their ears so they left the genie out of the bottle. The way they got rid of Mad Cow in Europe was to destroy herds of cattle. We cannot do thet to deer and it would not matter now if we did. Those who minimize the effects CWD will have and is having on hunting need to reconsider their position because they are wrong in their thinking. Instead of minimizing it every hunter and person who is concerned about our deer herd should be inundating their Senators and Representatives with letters, e-mail and phone calls to shut down each and every deer farm in the state and make it unlawful to import live cervids into the Commonwealth.[/QUOTEz

I understand your points, and totally agree about deer farm regulations (barn door open statement I made in original post), and know full well how it got here, but to think that the mississippi was a barrier is questionable to me. I guess you've never seen deer swim the susquehanna? Look at a cwd map of 2018, it was basically all around us and a matter of time until it naturally came into PA. As i stated, I'm not trying to minimize the effects as they are potentially far reaching, but I'm not up for the slaughter or sharpshooting of our herd, unless it is a very controlled kill in only affected areas. My bio bud and I just had this convo last weekend, and my concern is that no matter how many you kill off in said areas, deer naturally will migrate in and out, and still continue to expand to new areas, which will then need "reductions"....and within a few years.....we have potentially less deer than if we try to control what we can (like deer farms), and let mo nature do her thing. I need to remind some of you that even after you decimate the herd in certain areas....you DO NOT remove the prion from the affected areas. THAT is my biggest problem w/ the kill off methodology. I know it does slow the spread, but this is a long road back, no matter what the approach. Just some things to ponder.

Nut
post #79 of 107 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 09:54 AM

The Mississippi is a natural barrier, not saying a deer can not cross it, but it would not be a common thing. To kill the deer off in just the diseased areas would not work well, as you said deer would still travel in and out of the infected area. You would need a kill off in a buffer zone. And this is not something that normal hunting could accomplish. It would need to be done by killing, no bag limit, killing at any hour, using dogs, using bait, anything goes. As I am saying this would not be hunting but killing, to try to deplete an area of all deer, a hard task. Not everybody would want such a thing, but it may greatly slow the spread. However one buzzard, hawk, or eagle could feed on an infected deer and then fly off, and thru its droppings, spread CWD to an area many miles away. So another thing would be to try to reduce these scavengers in CWD areas. This will not happen. Deer farms brought CWD here, but once in the wild herd, it will keep spreading, because man will not do all the things required to help slow its spread. All regulations ,will for the most part, be aimed at limiting mans actions that may spread it, such as the one already in place. No urine while hunting in certain areas, not moving some of the infected parts, but as for the scavengers and deer themselves spreading it, this will not be addressed in a manner that will greatly reduce or slow the spread. My opinion is that all animals that can spread CWD should try to be removed from an infected area and a buffer zone. And then the area should be kept as a dead zone. This would have been an easier task before it has spread to such a large area. All the regulations that have been put on hunters, has not done much to stop the spread. And I do not believe that any radical approach, that may help, will come anytime soon.
post #80 of 107 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 10:27 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepines View Post
... I need to remind some of you that even after you decimate the herd in certain areas....you DO NOT remove the prion from the affected areas. THAT is my biggest problem w/ the kill off methodology. I know it does slow the spread, but this is a long road back, no matter what the approach. Just some things to ponder.

Nut
If nothing is done, and the disease spreads, the herds will decline as CWD is deadly. So, what are the options? CWD research is on ongoing project. So, do we do nothing and let the CWD spread statewide and decimate the herd? Or do we do culling and decimate pockets of the herd?

So when a cure or a method of killing prions is found, the pockets take time to recover.....or the entire state takes time to recover?

Pick your poison.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page