CWD Dissappointment - Page 7 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 140Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 107 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 12:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: erie, pa
Posts: 13,939
Back To Top
i wouldnt hunt deer in any CWD area. i bet food banks dont take CWD positive deer. maybe it is a big scare and there is nothing to worry about. just remember if it ever crosses the barrier and infects humans....bye-bye

and you wont even have to eat deer to do it. the cwd prions have been found in plants aka crops..

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
bohunr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 107 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 06:33 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Elk County
Posts: 13,259
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCoons View Post
Do any of you guys have any clue how many deer and elk heads are riding back from western states to pa, as we speak in vehicles, and how many have so far this fall? Man, I hope no one takes a deer out of a dma that's defined by an imaginary line on a map.
What we do know for sure is that anyone bringing the high risk parts back to this state is in violation of the law. Will most likely be cited when discovered and that they are part of the problem of possibly spreading CWD to areas where it might have never existed in the past or perhaps even the future.

That is ALL responsible people need to know about the subject. Irresponsible people could care less.

Dick Bodenhorn
bohunr likes this.
R. S. B. is online now  
post #63 of 107 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 12:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: erie, pa
Posts: 13,939
Back To Top
when i took my red tag doe to the processor they have a huge sign on the door that says they are not handling any deer from out of state or deer from cwd areas. they also handle livestock.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
bohunr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 107 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 08:16 AM
Administrator
 
DIYASUB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NORTHERN NEW YORK STATE
Posts: 26,916
Back To Top
To All

In this thread about CWD a member posted that he was concerned about it and intended to take a few precautions to protect himself and his family. A few people seem to think it's a good idea to attack him for that. It's not.

From The Rules Of HuntingPa
Quote:
HuntingPA is designed for and encourages the relating of your personal experiences and views of all outdoor activities. The key to a fulfilling experience on HuntingPA is to treat others as you would want to be treated. This extends to the differences of opinions held by other members.
We encourage the hearty exchange ideas and opinions on sometimes heated topics. The manner of that discussion must be carried out in a friendly and interactive manner that is free of personal slights or personal attacks.
Thanks for your cooperation now and in the future.
HuntingPa Staff
bohunr and pchunter1231 like this.

.
MAGA 2020
DIYASUB is offline  
post #65 of 107 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 10:00 AM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,204
Back To Top
When I was in Wisconsin, they had tried to kill as many deer as they could to stop the cwd spread. You can slow it down, but at this time it can not be stopped. If all movement, of deer farm deer and elk would have been stopped back when cwd was first discovered, it would be our future generations having this PA cwd talk. Now we have it we can only try to slow it. That is hard to do once in a free ranging wild herd. Out of all the complaints about pa deer hunting, cwd will be what destroys deer hunting in pa. For as little as is known about cwd, I would not feed it to my family. As hunters stop killing deer in the cwd areas, it will probably lead to increased deer numbers and a much higher percentage of diseased animals in a herd, and then will make it spread to other areas faster. This is the worst thing to happen to deer hunting. Also remember that the muscle flesh (meat) also has prions in it, not as many as other parts but they are still there. How many prions does it take to make a deer sick? And how many prions must a deer have in its body to show a positive test? Some monkeys have gotten cwd, by eating cwd positive meat. So its already has been proven it can jump to another species, who wants to be the first human with cwd. If only in the beginning, all deer farms would have been shut down and all captive deer destroyed, we would be much better off.
bohunr and pchunter1231 like this.
bpottorff is online now  
post #66 of 107 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 10:36 AM
Part of the Community
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster Pa/Gaines Pa (camp)
Posts: 191
Back To Top
I've got totry to put a not so negative spin on this.

I like everyone here, have concerns about CWD, and am fortunate to have a biologist college buddy who has had many convos with us at the cabin wrt CWD and other challenges in the state, as he worked with the PGC for several years. It sure is a tough disease to control.

But to me as a hunter, CWD/EHD/Cars whatever kills deer....is a problem, BUT THEY ALL kill something that we as conservationists enjoy hunting for harvest/tablefare. The reality is all of these "takers" of our quarry have been around for decades (even though some more recently to PA).

"We" as a community can take whatever precautions we feel justified/necessary to control the spread, but this has been around since the 60s and has been "traveling" state to state...naturally, in a cage for hunting preserves/stud farms, or in the back of a pickup truck cooler for equally as long. I in no way am dismissing the effects of a badass prion that has a long standing ability to infect an area, but to me dead is dead.

I'd bet a dollar to a dime that all of those butcher shops that have "closed the doors" to out of state butchering or CWD managed areas, have already processed deer from those very areas and have likely used an "infected" knife on all of the deer laying behind it.

While I realize that control seems to be the operative word, in my mind, that barn door has been open for quite some time now, so to worry about spread of it, is like pissin in the wind. It is what it is.

We all can do our best, butcher our own deer...whatevs. But at the end of the day, this has, is, and will be around for decades to come, so it is what it is.

I'm not going to let it stop me from what I enjoy. I just caution everyone to just keep an eye on it, but don't run off the deep end think that the hunting world is coming to an end. That doomsday stuff does no good and serves little purpose to the reality of the situation. Areas that have been affected are bouncing back, and I'd bet hunter in said areas, are eating their harvest.

I in no way am trying to diminish the challenges that it creates, but just trying to bring a level headed approach to how I/we deal with it, as its something we will contend with for some time, but it too shall pass.

Enjoy your time afield. I know I will.

Nut
bohunr and JJ4D like this.
Littlepines is offline  
post #67 of 107 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 11:13 AM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ..Harborcreek,Pa
Posts: 2,198
Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
Back To Top
One thing for sure, Every State is doing what they can to control the spread of CWD until a cure is found. And I believe it will be in the near future. To much at stake. Not just for hunting, For everyone who enjoys the great outdoors. That said, Deer farms need to be gone! Or put back in the hands of the PGC to help monitor this disease and enforce the regulations!
bohunr and Littlepines like this.
59Willys is offline  
post #68 of 107 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 02:37 PM
dgc
Frequent Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: pa cumberland
Posts: 567
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCoons View Post
Do any of you guys have any clue how many deer and elk heads are riding back from western states to pa, as we speak in vehicles, and how many have so far this fall? Man, I hope no one takes a deer out of a dma that's defined by an imaginary line on a map.
I hunt out west and harvest deer and elk we all cape out our animals its been a standard operating procedure out their for years even back in the late 80s just due to the logistics of backpack hunting how deer and elk are quartered by the gutless method leaving 98% of the problem issues where the animal fell now that being said Im sure their are some that dont but things are done different in western hunting than eastern
bohunr likes this.
dgc is offline  
post #69 of 107 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 08:53 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SC PA
Posts: 3,920
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYASUB View Post
To All

In this thread about CWD a member posted that he was concerned about it and intended to take a few precautions to protect himself and his family. A few people seem to think it's a good idea to attack him for that. It's not.

From The Rules Of HuntingPa


Thanks for your cooperation now and in the future.
HuntingPa Staff

Are you trying to say that I attacked pchunter about his precautions?
OAWC is online now  
post #70 of 107 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 09:21 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 26,979
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepines View Post
I've got totry to put a not so negative spin on this.

I like everyone here, have concerns about CWD, and am fortunate to have a biologist college buddy who has had many convos with us at the cabin wrt CWD and other challenges in the state, as he worked with the PGC for several years. It sure is a tough disease to control.

But to me as a hunter, CWD/EHD/Cars whatever kills deer....is a problem, BUT THEY ALL kill something that we as conservationists enjoy hunting for harvest/tablefare. The reality is all of these "takers" of our quarry have been around for decades (even though some more recently to PA).

"We" as a community can take whatever precautions we feel justified/necessary to control the spread, but this has been around since the 60s and has been "traveling" state to state...naturally, in a cage for hunting preserves/stud farms, or in the back of a pickup truck cooler for equally as long. I in no way am dismissing the effects of a badass prion that has a long standing ability to infect an area, but to me dead is dead.

I'd bet a dollar to a dime that all of those butcher shops that have "closed the doors" to out of state butchering or CWD managed areas, have already processed deer from those very areas and have likely used an "infected" knife on all of the deer laying behind it.

While I realize that control seems to be the operative word, in my mind, that barn door has been open for quite some time now, so to worry about spread of it, is like pissin in the wind. It is what it is.

We all can do our best, butcher our own deer...whatevs. But at the end of the day, this has, is, and will be around for decades to come, so it is what it is.

I'm not going to let it stop me from what I enjoy. I just caution everyone to just keep an eye on it, but don't run off the deep end think that the hunting world is coming to an end. That doomsday stuff does no good and serves little purpose to the reality of the situation. Areas that have been affected are bouncing back, and I'd bet hunter in said areas, are eating their harvest.

I in no way am trying to diminish the challenges that it creates, but just trying to bring a level headed approach to how I/we deal with it, as its something we will contend with for some time, but it too shall pass.

Enjoy your time afield. I know I will.

Nut
CWD did not come into PA naturally, it came in from the interstate transportation of pen raised deer, that is how it came across the Mississippi. We had a natural barrier but the deer farmers in their infinite wisdom thought it would be better to put money in their pockets than to use that mush between their ears so they left the genie out of the bottle. The way they got rid of Mad Cow in Europe was to destroy herds of cattle. We cannot do thet to deer and it would not matter now if we did. Those who minimize the effects CWD will have and is having on hunting need to reconsider their position because they are wrong in their thinking. Instead of minimizing it every hunter and person who is concerned about our deer herd should be inundating their Senators and Representatives with letters, e-mail and phone calls to shut down each and every deer farm in the state and make it unlawful to import live cervids into the Commonwealth.
bohunr likes this.
Woods walker is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome