The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Getting ready

7K views 82 replies 21 participants last post by  Woods walker 
#1 ·
We leave for our Newfoundland moose hunt in one month, so the push is on to get everything finalized. The 40-70 Ballard highwall is dialed in out to 500 yards. I need to load a few more hunting rounds and hit the range one more time to make sure the loads are "good to go". I finished the "long range" (200 yard) sight for the .62 cal. flintlock and need to shoot it in. pick up some last minute items and get the bags packed. going to pick up the new cap for my new pick up tomorrow, so I am/we are getting close. the 4th will be here before we know it, can't wait!

#31 ·
I never drove back with coolers, but my 3 big ice chests I have will hold an elk and a mule deer. So I feel confident they would suffice for a bull moose.

As we flew, we had butcher pack up moose meat in their styrofoam boxes that got freighted home. I got in the habit of leaving ground meat there for the guides. I can get all the ground venison I want here in Pa., and never saw much difference between ground moose, elk or deer meat. Steaks are a different story....IMO....moose is far superior to venison and elk. A couple years I hunted twice and the guides took the whole second moose. Saved me butcher fees and shipping.

#38 ·
The odd thing about bears in Newfoundland...we only ever saw them midday. They came out to eat huckleberries on sunny afternoons. I never saw any early morning, evening, as you would expect here in Pa. If there aren’t any berries, sightings go way down.

When a bear gets himself out in the middle of those big berry patches, they’re not hard to move in on. Just keep the wind in your favor.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.