Early Archery Game Land Road Access? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Early Archery Game Land Road Access?

Just a question - one of the Game Lands I hunt is big, being several miles across. The Game Commission is good enough to open several access roads within it for hunting season, but not until the start of early muzzleloader and then continuing through rifle season.

A bunch of us who bowhunt this also like the opening two weeks. We don't mind a walk, but being retired and with weather warmer that time of year it sure would be nice to drive in closer if we get lucky. Deer carts make things better, but still take effort and must be hauled in either before or after a long day.

Curious if anyone knows why this segment of big game season is left out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 10:09 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Ah, my pet peave with the gameless commission. Only answer I have ever heard that is a good one is....power. We hunters pay for the land but we are only able to access it when the folks WE employ, pay their salaries, give them nice vehicles, retirement, etc. decide to give us access. I have heard a whole list of bullsxxx excuses while they encourage private land owners to open their ground to hunters year around. Now I am ready for the apologists. What say you?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 10:31 PM

Same thing for late season trapping....it is what it is. Probably not gonna change either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 10:49 PM

I doubt there is a specific enough answer to your question, but I would say that it has to do with maintenance & illegal activity. Most of the roads near me are open from before archery, but evidently near you they are catering to the masses. I think it's as simple as that...shortest amount of time to benefit the most people.

Longer roads are open = more wear/tear on the surface and more problems with illegal dumping, camping, etc...
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 10:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I really don't mind them being closed as it keeps allot of people out of there that don't want to hike the distance back in ! plus it cuts back on the road hunting and poaching ! At age 58 I do wish they would allow E-bikes on those roads and trails or at least allow a 4 wheeler to retrieve your game ! If you get caught without any game on your wheeler fine the crap out of them ! I think it would open the door a little for the older people that still want to hunt but just can't drag one out especially during the week when your buddies are working !
bohunr, 325wsm and Mussgrass like this.

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffppc View Post
Ah, my pet peave with the gameless commission. Only answer I have ever heard that is a good one is....power. We hunters pay for the land but we are only able to access it when the folks WE employ, pay their salaries, give them nice vehicles, retirement, etc. decide to give us access. I have heard a whole list of bullsxxx excuses while they encourage private land owners to open their ground to hunters year around. Now I am ready for the apologists. What say you?
I think you're being a little extreme. You're able to access the land, just not always by motorized means. I know of 0 private land owners that allow the public to drive all over their land year round.
dce likes this.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 10:54 PM

The roads that open have a date that is set by Commission action. If you want additional roads open talking to your Land Manager is the first step then perhaps after six months to a year it can go through all the hoops that are required.

But, I can tell you that for everyone who wants a road opened there are two or three more who don't want it opened. In many cases opening the roads ruins the hunting.

I am probably older than most people who post on this site or who hunt the game lands and I still enjoy having areas where people aren't driving in. I have seen many good hunting areas ruined by opening the roads.

Dick Bodenhorn
dce, bohunr, TENPT and 3 others like this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I've read these early comments and can grasp some of their meaning. Also as saying before, not really complaining just asking. Guess what I don't understand is:

(1) The weather is usually better the first two weeks of October, worsening as the season progresses. With the minimal number of early season bowhunters I think increased road damage is a minor concern?

(2) Realize access can degrade the quality of hunting, but for this particular Game Land it's permitted for early muzzleloader, senior/youth anterless rifle, small game, turkey,
peak of the rut bowhunting and the two weeks of regular rifle deer. Even allowing for patrolling, has to be a minimal effect at best.

Appreciate the remarks and with all this said, the explanation regarding Commission Policy in general and contacting the area land manager may be the most viable. Would think their number is listed in the hunting digest?

Last edited by bowbenderpa01; 08-27-2019 at 10:39 AM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 07:00 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. S. B. View Post
The roads that open have a date that is set by Commission action. If you want additional roads open talking to your Land Manager is the first step then perhaps after six months to a year it can go through all the hoops that are required.

But, I can tell you that for everyone who wants a road opened there are two or three more who don't want it opened. In many cases opening the roads ruins the hunting.

I am probably older than most people who post on this site or who hunt the game lands and I still enjoy having areas where people aren't driving in. I have seen many good hunting areas ruined by opening the roads.

Dick Bodenhorn
Access improves the hunting opportunities. Those SGL's are not for just those who can walk great distances. Also, the further you can drive in and park, the further hunters will penetrate the interior acreage. I do it, and I know others do also when the gates open. In reality, it doesnt hurt a thing!

The PGC used PR funds ($200,000) to improve a road, complete with new parking lots, for the purpose of improving hunters access. The gates are closed most of the fall. They put all that money into that project and it comes across as being primarily for the image of it. It looks like they open them just enough to justify the expenditure and satisfy PR. Every hunter who goes there paid into that fund. That includes archery and small game.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 08:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffppc View Post
What a ridiculous post. You are critical of the PGC working to open more land to hunting. By the way, you do not employ anyone or give them nice vehicles. Now I see why you made the other post in the leasing farm land thread. I suggest you do not hunt the over a million acreas of land open to public hunting under agreement with the PGC if it bothers you so much.
JJ4D likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page