Baiting Question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Baiting Question

I have mentioned a few times that my property is on both sides of a state road. On the other side of road is a ridge that my property runs out the side and i border with my cousin on the left side. I have a nice tower stand fairly close to the line. My cousin some months ago asked me to come over to run the line since he was going to do a clear cut up to the line and didnt want to get on my side. I said to him at the time when they are done ill bring my bobcat over and put in some food plots if he didnt mind me doing on his side that was going to be cut. He liked the idea and said yes it was fine. I talked to him the other day and he said it was going slow they was not hitting it all the time and might be Oct. before they get up there. My question is i was planning on being plain and simple of just putting down some winter wheat. Even though it might be Oct. wheat will germinate. But if the seed lays there and slow germiantion would take place would the seed it self be considered bait since turkeys really like it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofstater View Post
I have mentioned a few times that my property is on both sides of a state road. On the other side of road is a ridge that my property runs out the side and i border with my cousin on the left side. I have a nice tower stand fairly close to the line. My cousin some months ago asked me to come over to run the line since he was going to do a clear cut up to the line and didnt want to get on my side. I said to him at the time when they are done ill bring my bobcat over and put in some food plots if he didnt mind me doing on his side that was going to be cut. He liked the idea and said yes it was fine. I talked to him the other day and he said it was going slow they was not hitting it all the time and might be Oct. before they get up there. My question is i was planning on being plain and simple of just putting down some winter wheat. Even though it might be Oct. wheat will germinate. But if the seed lays there and slow germiantion would take place would the seed it self be considered bait since turkeys really like it?
Below is the Title 34 section applicable to your question. I would suggest contacting the Game Warden assigned to your area and discuss your situation with him.

2308. Unlawful devices and methods.

(a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to hunt or aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt any game or wildlife through the use of:
(8) Any artificial or natural bait, hay, grain, fruit, nut, salt, chemical, mineral or other food as an enticement for game or wildlife, regardless of kind and quantity, or take advantage of any such area or food or bait prior to 30 days after the removal of such material and its residue. Nothing contained in this subsection shall pertain to normal or accepted farming, habitat management practices, oil and gas drilling, mining, forest management activities or other legitimate commercial or industrial practices. Upon discovery of such baited areas, whether prosecution is contemplated or not, the commission may cause a reasonable area surrounding the enticement to be posted against hunting or taking game or wildlife. The posters shall remain for 30 days after complete removal of the bait.

R.I.P. WCO Dave Grove ... You will never be forgotten.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in