Game News CWD article - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Game News CWD article

I saw the informative article in the latest edition of PA Game News talking about what Wisconsin and Illinois has went through with this disease.. It said the bucks had a higher incidence of infection rates... Does it not make sense to the PGC to bring archery season in much earlier such as September 1 to help cull as many bucks from the herd as early as possible???Either statewide or an early season just in the DMA areas...During the rut the infected bucks probably just spread the disease...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 04:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk313 View Post
I saw the informative article in the latest edition of PA Game News talking about what Wisconsin and Illinois has went through with this disease.. It said the bucks had a higher incidence of infection rates... Does it not make sense to the PGC to bring archery season in much earlier such as September 1 to help cull as many bucks from the herd as early as possible???Either statewide or an early season just in the DMA areas...During the rut the infected bucks probably just spread the disease...
If culling as many bucks from the herd as possible is your goal, why not just bring in rifle season at the same time, and eliminate antler restriction completely? That should do it.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 04:46 PM

Southern States do it...doesnt hurt their deer population any at all.
Potter Co. Joe likes this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 04:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
Southern States do it...doesnt hurt their deer population any at all.
If that's what it takes, try it in all current DMA and expand as needed.
bohunr likes this.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 04:56 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
I saw the informative article in the latest edition of PA Game News talking about what Wisconsin and Illinois has went through with this disease.. .
What exactly did they go thru with CWD? I know Illinois lost many thousands of deer to EHD. Can someone post some evidence of huge deer kills from CWD, I can't seem to find any.
Pops423 likes this.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
What exactly did they go thru with CWD? I know Illinois lost many thousands of deer to EHD. Can someone post some evidence of huge deer kills from CWD, I can't seem to find any.
The issue is not about the number of deer CWD kills. The issue is about the length of time and amount of range the CWD are spreading the CWD prions that then infect healthy deer.

Though CWD is always fatal the majority of the deer that become infected with CWD die of other causes of mortality. Even though CWD most likely contributed to their becoming a mortality of the actual cause they get recorded as a highway or hunting mortality. If they didn't have and weren't being limited by the early stage effects of CWD though they very well might not have been a mortality at all.

Though EHD has the ability to kill more deer in the short term and in comparatively small areas I assure you it is not even close to the mortality concerns that will come with wide spread CWD.

Everyone should read this month's Game News article on CWD. There are areas Wisconsin where over 50% of the harvested bucks tested positive for CWD. There were families that harvested several bucks in their hunting areas and had all of them test WCD positive.

Is that the future we want? If it is just hang on to your hats a few more year because that is exactly where we are headed with hunters refusing to learn the facts about CWD and taking this "oh well no big deal" attitude about it.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 07:08 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. S. B. View Post
The issue is not about the number of deer CWD kills. The issue is about the length of time and amount of range the CWD are spreading the CWD prions that then infect healthy deer.

Though CWD is always fatal the majority of the deer that become infected with CWD die of other causes of mortality. Even though CWD most likely contributed to their becoming a mortality of the actual cause they get recorded as a highway or hunting mortality. If they didn't have and weren't being limited by the early stage effects of CWD though they very well might not have been a mortality at all.

Though EHD has the ability to kill more deer in the short term and in comparatively small areas I assure you it is not even close to the mortality concerns that will come with wide spread CWD.

Everyone should read this month's Game News article on CWD. There are areas Wisconsin where over 50% of the harvested bucks tested positive for CWD. There were families that harvested several bucks in their hunting areas and had all of them test WCD positive.

Is that the future we want? If it is just hang on to your hats a few more year because that is exactly where we are headed with hunters refusing to learn the facts about CWD and taking this "oh well no big deal" attitude about it.

Dick Bodenhorn

We hear you Dick, loud and clear. But, why are there still antler restrictions in CWD areas? Why cant we harvest bucks in the Oct. muzzelloader season in the CWD zones? The bow hunters can shoot them then al over the state, why not the muzzle loaders? Why are the deer farms still in operation? We are willing to do all we can, I know I have written my rep and senator about it. We are willing to make sacrifices to slow the spread, well most of us are, but the GC and the legislators must lead the way. Not much we can do on our own.
Muzz, jimbridger, bohunr and 4 others like this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

RSB,the majority of the hunters are upset about these targeted shootings... They want to hunt and kill the deer themselves... Why not remove antler restrictions for all DMA areas and bring the seasons in earlier????
jimbridger likes this.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:47 PM
The Man

Cool

....who the heck wants to bow hunt when its 90* out and humid ?... not to mention the mosquitos...extend archery and flintlock into Feb
Sojourner48 and Buckskin Dave like this.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
RSB,the majority of the hunters are upset about these targeted shootings... They want to hunt and kill the deer themselves... Why not remove antler restrictions for all DMA areas and bring the seasons in earlier????
I agree with removing Antler restrictions in the DMA's. The PGC is giving the hunters first crack at the deer in the DMA's and wait until the season is over before they call in the sharpshooters because the hunters are not doing the job of removing the deer themselves. If all the social media sites i keep looking at hold true of how many are not buying a license this year, the sharpshooters will have to keep coming in to remove the deer.
bohunr likes this.

4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page