Newfoundland? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Newfoundland?

Be here before you know it! Who is heading up this year? I'm Going the first week in Oct. hunting at Sandy Lake Lodge in 16. Driving up with my brother for our second trip up. Lots of fun and great people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 09:52 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

we will be there the second week of October, area 37, at the same camp and guides as before. still trying to "refine" gear from the last time, a few tweeks here and there!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00481.jpg (1.03 MB, 23 views)
Buckskin Dave likes this.

Last edited by blackpowder; 07-26-2019 at 09:55 AM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 11:49 AM

Im going Nov. 11th. I like hunting moose late in the season. Were usually the last hunters of the season. Flying out of Toronto. This will be my 11th trip to the Rock. Hunting Area 12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Hunted Area 12 last time with Notch Mountain. Randy is a good guy and enjoyed myself.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 07:20 AM

For those that have been there, what are your thoughts on archery hunting moose with the outfitters you went with? Did you see many within 60 yards? Any archery hunters in camp and were they successful? I would imagine late September, early October would be the best as the moose would be more receptive to calling.

Newfoundland is on my bucket list for archery moose.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 08:38 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms View Post
For those that have been there, what are your thoughts on archery hunting moose with the outfitters you went with? Did you see many within 60 yards? Any archery hunters in camp and were they successful? I would imagine late September, early October would be the best as the moose would be more receptive to calling.

Newfoundland is on my bucket list for archery moose.

I have been down that road with our outfitter, but really its the guides. if you are wanting to archery hunt I would make sure you book with an outfitter that caters to them. my guide wasn't real happy about my flintlock the last time when I couldn't (wouldn't) take a long shot. we do however have that cleared up for this next time
Buckskin Dave likes this.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post
I have been down that road with our outfitter, but really its the guides. if you are wanting to archery hunt I would make sure you book with an outfitter that caters to them. my guide wasn't real happy about my flintlock the last time when I couldn't (wouldn't) take a long shot. we do however have that cleared up for this next time
That is my concern as well. I am sure most would take a archery hunter but I want to go with an outfitter than really enjoys and understands the dynamics of how archery changes the typical game and caters to the specific challenges.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 09:26 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

yes, and from reading the regulations, that would be archery, not crossbow. from what I saw, crossbows are not legal.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 09:41 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post
yes, and from reading the regulations, that would be archery, not crossbow. from what I saw, crossbows are not legal.

Yep, hard to believe and I thought maybe outdated info, but I just checked the regs for 2019-20 season and crossbows are not legal to hunt with in Newfoundland.
blackpowder likes this.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 10:02 AM

Every guide I ever talked with in Newfoundland did not like guiding bow hunters. They felt if the called a moose in to 100 yards, they did their job, it’s the hunter’s job to kill it. A guide wants to find his hunter a good bull, kill it, and be done for the week. I’ve seen a half dozen hunters carry both gun and bow....every one of them picked up the rifle when it was time to shoot. Two of them had the bull at 20-30 yards. I was hunting at a camp in 2010 when a young fella from State College killed a 6 point with his bow. The guide videoed the whole thing.

Nearly every outfitter will welcome bowhunters, as they want the bookings. If I was serious about bow hunting moose, I’d try to find an outfitter who specializes in bow hunts. I’m not aware of any, but they’re probably out there.

You would also nearly have to book the last week of September, first week of October, to capitalize on the peak of the moose rut.
blackpowder and Laylow like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in