Speeding alert - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 113 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Speeding alert

The hits keep on coming.

Yesterday, I received a $100. dollar notice with photos of my truck behind a tractor trailer and a white car in the mail from Sioux City Iowa. The notice indicates my 2016 Ram was going 61 mph in a 50 mph zone. On the date of this incident which was 3 weeks ago, I was heading to South Dakota with a buddy for a prairie dog hunt and I wasn't sure who was driving at this time.

I was able to download a very very short clip which was useless which shows my vehicle in motion behind the white car and truck. There were no stills of the posted area or that the area was enforced by camera.

My buddy said that I should trash the notice because on the notice it indicates in big red ink: NOTE: THIS IS A CIVIL INFRACTION. BECAUSE THIS IS A CIVIL INFRACTION, no record of this violation is sent to your insurance company or the Department of Motor vehicles. My wife thinks I should pay it.

Also, on the way home I sustained $3300 in bumper damage after my truck made contact at about 70 mph with 2 deer standing together on rt. 80. at about 4AM. They say you should never overdrive your headlights but that was the posted speed limit. Thank God nobody got hurt and I was able to drive about 400 miles to get home.

Life Member NRA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 113 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:14 PM
Sage

A few years ago I drove to SC hunting hogs. While going down 95 in NC I accidentally got into an express lane , I got off as soon as I could, less than a mile and continued on to my destination. A few days after I got home I received a letter with a picture of my truck and a time stamp and date telling me I owed them $4.00 for driving on the express lane and not being authorized to do so. I wanted to send them $4.00 in pennies but it would have cost me more than the fine so I went on the web site and paid it with a credit card.
bohunr and flintlock hunter like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 113 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Was the notice sent to you certified mail that you had to sign for it? If not, I'd chuck it and claim I never got. If they want to waste their money, they can keep sending notices in hopes to collect their "fine". On a traffic violation with no cop, I'm definitely not paying on first notice.

I did get my photo snapped running thru a PA Turnpike EZ pass lane a couple years ago. I paid that since I was dead to rights on theft of the precious toll road system. $40 + mistake.

Gun Control = Using both hands, and hitting your target
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 113 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:34 PM

Scam...
Muzz and bohunr like this.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
post #5 of 113 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:34 PM
Sage

Even if they do not notify Penn Dot the auto insurance your name and plate number will wind up in the system and the police in most states have license plate readers to pick up people who have warrants. If you plan on going through Iowa again you might want to think about paying the fine.
Potter Co. Joe likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #6 of 113 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:43 PM

Tell them that they will have to pry that $100.00 from your dead cold hands
joe8768 and fall gobbler like this.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
post #7 of 113 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 06:35 PM
Sage

I love it when people who will not have to suffer the consequences of bad decisions give advice like the above.

post #8 of 113 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe8768 View Post
The hits keep on coming.

Yesterday, I received a $100. dollar notice with photos of my truck behind a tractor trailer and a white car in the mail from Sioux City Iowa. The notice indicates my 2016 Ram was going 61 mph in a 50 mph zone. On the date of this incident which was 3 weeks ago, I was heading to South Dakota with a buddy for a prairie dog hunt and I wasn't sure who was driving at this time.

I was able to download a very very short clip which was useless which shows my vehicle in motion behind the white car and truck. There were no stills of the posted area or that the area was enforced by camera.

My buddy said that I should trash the notice because on the notice it indicates in big red ink: NOTE: THIS IS A CIVIL INFRACTION. BECAUSE THIS IS A CIVIL INFRACTION, no record of this violation is sent to your insurance company or the Department of Motor vehicles. My wife thinks I should pay it.

Also, on the way home I sustained $3300 in bumper damage after my truck made contact at about 70 mph with 2 deer standing together on rt. 80. at about 4AM. They say you should never overdrive your headlights but that was the posted speed limit. Thank God nobody got hurt and I was able to drive about 400 miles to get home.

I would make sure that it was legit and not someone scamming you. If it is legit then I would pay the fine and move on. You could try fighting it but that would cost you more than the $100.

Sounds like your trip was not a good one and was expensive.
bohunr and Penndraght like this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #9 of 113 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:09 AM
Sage

Only ever had one camera initiated fine....EZ pass while in DE. Found out transponder wasn't working. After much back/forth...fine was rescinded.

Best of luck!
bohunr likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #10 of 113 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:11 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
I love it when people who will not have to suffer the consequences of bad decisions give advice like the above.
I agree
Sounds COOL right? Until you get stopped driving through there again on way to a Vacation.
bohunr likes this.

Potter County
Gods Country USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page