Dr. Deer to speak on CWD - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 290Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 221 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Dr. Deer to speak on CWD

James Kroll
A self proclaimed "world authority" on Whitetail Deer will bring his controversial views on chronic wasting disease to
Hollidaysburg, Blair Co. July 13TH. Free seminar to be held at Hollidaysburg Junior High at 11:AM

Caption say's
James Kroll's view of disease clashes with that of PGC.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 221 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:57 AM

He has proven to be just as it says "a self proclaimed authority."

If I remember correctly he is or was being paid to have an opinion that CWD isn't as much a threat as the REAL CWD professionals say it is.

The fact that he is also a big deer breeder and deer farmer pretty much taints his self serving opinion in my view of the realities of the subject. My bet is that he is being paid to come there and say what the anti-CWD cull crowd want people to believe instead of what would be best for the future of our deer or hunting.

http://www.startribune.com/controver...one/413499803/

Dick Bodenhorn
bohunr, Dogface, Danesdad and 4 others like this.

Last edited by R. S. B.; 07-08-2019 at 11:04 AM.
post #3 of 221 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:10 AM

We need all the help we can get with CWD, different views help. If a CWD positive deer is found in my hunting area, I feel that it is too late to do much, other than try to kill every deer, in the area, to help stop it from spreading. Only problem is wild deer are not confined, so in how big of an area do you kill everything . Not enough is known about this disease, and even when we do know something, nothing is done. If years back, all these deer would not have been shipped all over the country, we probably would not be in this situation. Nobody did anything to stop it, and here we are today with CWD, and the deer transporting continues. I know that it is called CWD, but I consider it worse than any disease.
bohunr, fall gobbler and Laylow like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 221 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:11 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

He's a self proclaimed expert in show me the money. I really believe Alt would have had some plans on dealing with this problem that would have thrown PA deer hunters and breeders into a spasms.

It's here to stay and will be getting worse.
bohunr, Danesdad and Buckskin Dave like this.
post #5 of 221 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:13 AM
Frequent Contributor

https://www.drdeer.com/uploads/cms/n...0ecffc6b82.pdf

“Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourteen percent of all people know that.”

“Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I don’t understand.”
post #6 of 221 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:14 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylow View Post
He's a self proclaimed expert in show me the money. I really believe Alt would have had some plans on dealing with this problem that would have thrown PA deer hunters and breeders into a spasms.

It's here to stay and will be getting worse.

Read the report above. Alt was part of this team that mostly minimized CWD in WI.
jimbridger likes this.

“Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourteen percent of all people know that.”

“Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I don’t understand.”
post #7 of 221 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. S. B. View Post
He has proven to be just as it says "a self proclaimed authority."

If I remember correctly he is or was being paid to have an opinion that CWD isn't as much a threat as the REAL CWD professionals say it is.

The fact that he is also a big deer breeder and deer farmer pretty much taints his self serving opinion in my view of the realities of the subject. My bet is that he is being paid to come there and say what the anti-CWD cull crowd want people to believe instead of what would be best for the future of our deer or hunting.

Controversial 'Dr. Deer' stirs the pot in Minnesota's CWD disease zone - StarTribune.com

Dick Bodenhorn
Yep, he is Dr. male bovine extrement, not Dr deer, just trying to line his own nest.
bohunr likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #8 of 221 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:59 AM

From what I remember out west, the captive deer that got CWD were culled, the ground bleached, and after a few years maybe five, new disease free deer were put back in the deer pens, and they got CWD. So from this it sounds like once the land is contaminated, we are in trouble. Solution, may be kill as many deer as you can, and keep the area killed off, as new deer will also become infected. No way to kill off all the deer, but it could be tried. It will not be done by sharpshooters or regular hunting. My approach would be a total open season in selected CWD areas. No regulations, baiting, roadhunting, spotlights, semiautos, using dogs, what ever. This would not be hunting, but killing, anyway possible. Catch is all deer must be brought in for testing. A five dollar bounty for each deer, and if your deer tests positive, you receive 2500 dollars. This would maybe help keep people from killing deer outside the CWD area. As for the big money, people would concentrate on the CWD areas. Anyone trying to bring in deer from outside of the CWD area, would get jail time, fine and lifetime loss of hunting . I am not a professional, but would do anything to keep CWD from spreading.
JakeS1922 likes this.
post #9 of 221 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 12:14 PM
Sage

I am totally opposed to bounties, they never work. Mandating the testing of all deer killed would not work either. Look how long it takes for hunters who have their deer tested get the results back months, the labs would be so overwhelmed that they probably would just throw their hands up. I would strongly oppose throwing the door open and declaring war on the deer by the general license holding public as well. The first thing we must do is to demand that the Department of Ag be taken totally out of the equation and control be given back to the PGC. The legislature is more to blame for this than anyone, they are the ones who gave control to an agency who could not care less about our deer. If the truth be known Ag would probably be happy if they were all dead.
bohunr likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #10 of 221 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 12:43 PM

I was thinking that five dollars would give motivation to bring the deer in, it was the 2500 for the ones that test positive, that would be the real driver. I guess kind of like our coyote contests. As for licenses holding public, I would require no licenses, this would not be considered hunting. It would be an attempt at getting rid of as many deer possible in a CWD area to stop its spread. You are right, testing would take awhile. The 2500 chance, would be concentrating killers in the CWD area. I would not consider this sporting, nor hunting, but an attempt to slow down a disease that no one yet has stopped, except maybe in a small area in New York. So far PA has not been able to stop the spread of this disease, we can not even shut down deer farms.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page