It was just a matter of time!! - Page 3 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 94Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
I will tell you why, a year or so ago they were going to do just that and the hunters in that WMU came unglued and pizzed and moaned and went to the general assembly complaining and cause the PGC to step back. Sometimes hunters are their own enemy. It sounds easy, make a decision and go with it, sadly it isn't that easy in the political world where people who have self interests without knowledge go to the general assembly who also don't know anything!
What good does it do to kill all the deer where I hunt and have all the deer pens sending deer all over the state?Lets see how fast they want to kill all the elk once its in that area.Lets also remember that the PGC started letting people have fenced in deer before ag took it over.
bohunr and shouldvbeenthere like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 08:36 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin Dave View Post
You make a valid point. If we want these deer killed we have to make it something that hunters will jump on. Why should a dmap tag cost more than any other antlerless tag.
I was not sure if you knew what an NR paid for one or not. I realize you and others thinking maybe your dmap is around ten bucks or so many would not care. But for myself at around 36 or so it changes the tide. That's around an extra ten bucks vs. unit doe tag. I kind of liked the idea of the original Disease tag you knew what extra allocation was for this reason. Or if the extra money actually went to the research would be nice. As I stated the PGC meeting I went to no money from the tags was going to research. That seminar the PGC Veterinarian was there and gave a nice speech. Much of it at that time he mentioned they did not know a lot about it. To me this opens the door where research is needed. Also that night a knuckle head from the Dept. of Ag. was there. He gave the worst presentation of an educated idiot speaking like why pie equals square. It got so bad I leaned over to a WCO and told him this guy is ruining this presentation. It started off of around 200 people in attendance when he got done speaking there might of been around 50 of us left.
bohunr likes this.
post #23 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 08:39 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestman3 View Post
What good does it do to kill all the deer where I hunt and have all the deer pens sending deer all over the state?Lets see how fast they want to kill all the elk once its in that area.Lets also remember that the PGC started letting people have fenced in deer before ag took it over.

The PGC did run the operation of deer farms back then. But then your Pa. Legislation got ahold of it from someone crying and took it out of the hands of the PGC of which was doing a good job giving it to the Dept. of AG. Your Pa. politics at work my friend.
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestman3 View Post
No you are absolutely wrong! The PGC did not allow people to breed deer in captivity, the general Assembly did, the PGC didn't have a say except to pass regulations to control it. Of course when they put on real controls about moving deer around the state the General assembly with the help of the Dept of Ag and a worthless Commissioner the authority was taken from the PGC and given to the worthless Dept of Ag. If you want to assign blame put it where it belongs, the General Assembly, not the PGC, they would have stopped it years before CWD arrived in our state.. I will say one more time, so perhaps you will understand. The legislature passed laws allowing the captive breeding of deer and elk, it was not the PGC.
bohunr, Danesdad and outofstater like this.

Last edited by Woods walker; 07-07-2019 at 08:53 PM.
post #25 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 08:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
I will tell you why, a year or so ago they were going to do just that and the hunters in that WMU came unglued and pizzed and moaned and went to the general assembly complaining and cause the PGC to step back. Sometimes hunters are their own enemy. It sounds easy, make a decision and go with it, sadly it isn't that easy in the political world where people who have self interests without knowledge go to the general assembly who also don't know anything!
Time for the PGC to grow a pair and do what they are suppose to do, MANAGE. Not cave to every Tom Dick and Harry that runs to the General Assembly. Start acting like the independent agency theyíre suppose to be, instead of placing their head between their legs every time some elective official complains. If they wonít do that, turn the whole agency over to the GA. If someone doesnít get a handle on this, Iíll tell you what will happen. The deer hunters of PA will stop hunting, the herd will multiply, the farmers crop damage will skyrocket, flower gardens will be consumed and complains will skyrocket.
I will not take a chance, nor will I subject my family on consuming a deer that may or may not have CWD. I also will not home butcher or pay a butcher to render a deer into edible portions, wrap and freeze when it may take up to months to have a report come back stating if it is safe to consume or not. Unless some affordable reliable field test is developed to determine if CWD is present in the animal just harvested, or I can have the results in a week to 10 days Iím done, and Iím willing to bet Iím not alone.
bohunr, Danesdad and pchunter1231 like this.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #26 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coureur De Bois View Post
Time for the PGC to grow a pair and do what they are suppose to do, MANAGE. Not cave to every Tom Dick and Harry that runs to the General Assembly. Start acting like the independent agency theyíre suppose to be, instead of placing their head between their legs every time some elective official complains. If they wonít do that, turn the whole agency over to the GA. If someone doesnít get a handle on this, Iíll tell you what will happen. The deer hunters of PA will stop hunting, the herd will multiply, the farmers crop damage will skyrocket, flower gardens will be consumed and complains will skyrocket.
I will not take a chance, nor will I subject my family on consuming a deer that may or may not have CWD. I also will not home butcher or pay a butcher to render a deer into edible portions, wrap and freeze when it may take up to months to have a report come back stating if it is safe to consume or not. Unless some affordable reliable field test is developed to determine if CWD is present in the animal just harvested, or I can have the results in a week to 10 days Iím done, and Iím willing to bet Iím not alone.
I suggest that before you go running off at the mouth about things it is apparent you know nothing about, you do a little research. The PGC was in the process of stopping the movement of captive raised deer via regulations as a start to ending it altogether when the authority to control the deer farmers was wrested away from the by the PGC in a coup orchestrated by the Dept of Ag, the deer farmers and a Game Commissioner who raised deer and the General assembly who has the ultimate control. The reason things are where they are now is because the general assembly stopped the PGC from doing what they wanted to do to stop the spread of CWD. I am fully confident that had the PGC been left to do their job the spread of CWD would not be nearly as bad as it is now. If you are really concerned about the future of deer and elk in PA I suggest that instead of running off at the fingers with little or no facts on the issue, you contact your representatives and senators and the Governor about returning control of captive deer to the agency that has the best interests of hunters and the citizens of PA and our wildlife in mind instead of the most worthless agency in the state for any kind of control, which quite frankly was the reason the PGC was removed from control, they actually wanted to stop the disease from spreading. You want to place blame, blame the general assembly and the Governor!
bohunr likes this.
post #27 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 09:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

WW I understand what you said. It may not have been the PGC fault but the fact still remains the PGC is caving to the GA and the ball is now in their court. Theyíre suppose to be an independent agency, but sure arenít acting like one. There are time for negotiations with the GA, but this isnít one of them, itís time to do what is right and needs to be done to try and stop CWD, with or without the GA,s blessing. What are they going to do, hold up a license increase, which may or may not be needed.
They may not be able to instigate a cull on private property without a court fight, which would take years, but they sure can on public land if thatís what needed.
bohunr likes this.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #28 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin Dave View Post
Exactly. And still the deer farms are in operation. And why? So somebody can shoot a captive raised buck with big antlers? I can not figure what the Dept of Agriculture is thinking.

Hunters have a bigger share of the blame, and those in deer management. The quest for shooting big antlered deer in this state fostered the deer farms, to supply an opportunity to do so. The whole antler-envy mind set caused this, from the canned hunts on TV all the way back to Gary Alt and the "grow bigger bucks" mentality. No one to blame for this except us. The deer farms are only supplying a demand.
bohunr likes this.

Thank God I'm an American, and not a democrat!
post #29 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 09:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
Politics! With over 1000 deer farms in Pa. generating tons of $ The " higher ups " on both sides don't want to rock the boat! We all know this boat needs sunk. Not one word from Dr. Brightbill a Veterinarian who works for Dept of Ag., CWD coordinator Jared Oyster for the Game Commission ,Biologist and special assistant Wayne Laroche also from Game Commission never once spoke about closing deer farms down! Only to expand the area's to kill more deer, Research for a "vaccine" totally agree! and to educate us hunters on CWD. There's a lot more behind the curtain I don't know. People like WW,RSB, would know more. That's what they did for a living .
bohunr likes this.

Last edited by 59Willys; 07-08-2019 at 01:33 PM.
post #30 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coureur De Bois View Post
Time for the PGC to grow a pair and do what they are suppose to do, MANAGE. Not cave to every Tom Dick and Harry that runs to the General Assembly. Start acting like the independent agency they’re suppose to be, instead of placing their head between their legs every time some elective official complains. If they won’t do that, turn the whole agency over to the GA. If someone doesn’t get a handle on this, I’ll tell you what will happen. The deer hunters of PA will stop hunting, the herd will multiply, the farmers crop damage will skyrocket, flower gardens will be consumed and complains will skyrocket. .
Thats pretty much it. If sportsman support an independent agency, then pressure them to quit bowing to the general assembly. In the end, if the PGC keeps bowing and doesn't do what they feel is in the best interest of hunters and sportsman, then maybe its time for a merger.

There is much blame to go around. The General assembly, the Dept of Ag, hunters, and the PGC. The PGC has the ability to regulate many things, but lately has often chose to bow to political pressure.
bohunr likes this.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!

Last edited by dpms; 07-08-2019 at 10:28 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page