Preparing my new stand site for deer season - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Preparing my new stand site for deer season

I couple of months ago I erected my new 360 tower stand with the help of my brother, my brother-in-law and a very god friend. Since it is about 75 yards from my old spot I need to cut some new shooting lanes in the thick stuff as well as rig up my deer lift to make it easier to get my deer in the front basket of my ATV. The basket is high off the ground and I kill some big bodied deer where I hunt and I decided I was done struggling with a big limp deer body getting it in the basket so I devised a way to do it. I bought a screw in tree stand step and a pulley and gambrel so I can hoist the deer up and drive under it and lower it down into the basket. My rope tie off , (I used a 6 inch iron boat cleat),is close enough to where the deer will e so I can guide it into the basket as I lower the deer. I stood on the seat of the ATV to screw in the tree step at the right height so I can hang the pulley and gambrel after I kill my deer, gut it and drag it with the the tree with the screw in step hanger. I got it rigged and hung the pulley to make sure I could do it alone and it will work great, I can't wait to try it with a deer. I then started cutting small trees and saplings with my chain saw until it got so hot already at 9am I decided I had enough, I was soaked with sweat. I will have to go back and finish up when it isn't so hot and probably again for a touch up after I get in the stand and scope it out. A couple of pictures of the rig, I didn't drop the gambrel all the way down so it is a little hard to see.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Last edited by Woods walker; 07-05-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 02:46 PM

Looking good John. Good luck this year
bohunr likes this.

4B
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 02:47 PM
The Man

That'll work!
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 03:05 PM

I have found over the years it is easy to load a deer onto the rear rack of my ATV by placing trash bags on the side of the seat and another up to and on my factory rack. I just line the deer up and grab it's antlers and pull it right up the slippery trash bags with the smooth fur forward then simply tie it off in place. For years I was struggling to lift the deer up, get the front half in place then have it slide off as I tried to swing up the rear.
bohunr likes this.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 03:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

That yeller rope is a gonna spook some deer........
bohunr likes this.

I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 03:26 PM
Regular Visitor

That's a good idea and a great looking blind . I use a ATV carryall that fits in a 2in receiver on the back of my ATV. It's a lot easier to get it on from the ground than to try to put on the rack's . My problem comes when its time to get it in the back of my truck. There I mounted a remote control winch in the back of my truck , pull out a ramp I made , wrap the cable around the deer push the button and up into the bed it goes.
bohunr likes this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takemrarely View Post
That yeller rope is a gonna spook some deer........
Nah, that yeller rope will not be up until the deer caint see no mo.
bohunr likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny v. View Post
That's a good idea and a great looking blind . I use a ATV carryall that fits in a 2in receiver on the back of my ATV. It's a lot easier to get it on from the ground than to try to put on the rack's . My problem comes when its time to get it in the back of my truck. There I mounted a remote control winch in the back of my truck , pull out a ramp I made , wrap the cable around the deer push the button and up into the bed it goes.
You need one of these, too bad you are across the state.
For sale, pulley lift system for deer loading into your truck.
Brand new, I bought it just before I bought my ATV and never used it. Use it to gut or skin your deer or to skin it or put it in your truck bed alone without having lift it in. $65.00 picked up or meet at a close location. See below.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...ystem?a=681080
bohunr likes this.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 08:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
Your getting "soft" on us John But! I know your pain.I have a ---- of a time putting deer on my atv rack. I'm not talking monster ones either You should see me trying to get it in the back of my truck! What a joke. Getting older is not funny Work smarter not harder hasn't kick in yet
bohunr likes this.

Last edited by 59Willys; 07-05-2019 at 08:37 PM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Softer or smarter, not sure which, but I did learn pain hurts and I am going to try to avoid it f possible.
bohunr and USAFRET like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page