Question in bear muzzleloader week. - Page 3 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 01:04 PM
Frequent Contributor

There'd be no confusion if we could just shot a bear with our bow during this one week. We are allowed to use archery equipment during bear rifle why not muzzleloader season???????!!!!!!
bohunr and JasonN like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 01:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

If your looking for logic in laws and reg's, then you are looking for pie in the sky.

The PGC permits the use of a long rifle flintlock in Allegheny County special regulation area. However, a flintlock pistol of 50 cal or greater is not permitted. Even though a flintlock pistol of 50 cal or greater is permitted anywhere else in the state outside of special regulation areas.

Where is the sense in that?
bohunr likes this.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 01:39 PM
The Man

A few years ago I posed the question about carrying the flintlock after Christmas, and also carrying my .22. I was told by one of the WCOs on this site that wasn't legal. Wouldn't this be the same situation with the bow for deer and the muzzleloader for bear?
bohunr likes this.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 01:46 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by etowns54 View Post
There'd be no confusion if we could just shot a bear with our bow during this one week. We are allowed to use archery equipment during bear rifle why not muzzleloader season???????!!!!!!
You need to ask the bow hunter org. From what I can figure out, it is they who negotiated the deal to get the two week archery bear season. ???
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:12 AM

Here's the response from the PGC that just came through (I bolded and enlarged the information most pertinent to this discussion):

Quote:
Good morning,
Please find comments from the Bureau of Wildlife Protection below.
Kindly,
[email protected]

Below is the section that allows the carrying of both weapons for deer. We currently do not have a regulation that allows this for bear.
If you would harvest a bear and be in possession of archery equipment in the muzzleloader season it would be a violation.
I would encourage you to attend a commission meeting and speak during the public comment portion and suggest the change.

(B) A person may possess and use both a bow or crossbow and a muzzleloading firearm during the overlaps of the early archery and muzzleloader deer seasons and the late archery and flintlock muzzleloading deer seasons if that person is in possession of both a valid archery deer license and a valid muzzleloader deer license and meets the greater protective material requirements for the muzzleloader deer season, if applicable.
jimbridger likes this.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thank you. That’s exactly what I thought
JasonN likes this.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:39 AM

thats why some States have "any weapon" seasons. its just deer season....use what you want. it works in South Carolina.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page