Question in bear muzzleloader week. - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 24Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:10 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 414
Back To Top
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
During the last 3 days of the early muzzleloader season in October, Seniors and juniors can use a rifle to hunt with. can they carry a bow, rifle and muzzleloader with them..just in case ?
Only if your Sherpa is also licensed.
bohunr and beagler like this.
JakeS1922 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 08:15 AM
Senior Member
 
JasonN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Warren, Pa - Clarion Co. Camp
Posts: 14,286
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by nontypical25 View Post
I know your not allowed to shoot a bear with a bow the week of bear muzzleloader but can I carry a bow for deer and a muzzleloader for bears that were simultaneously?

The whole 'not allowed to shoot a bear with a bow during bear muzz season' thing is going to be a mess. Currently, you can carry a bow and muzz together to hunt deer that week....assuming you have all the appropriate tags, permits, orange, etc. I happen to fall into the category of hunter that 'does it all' so to speak. I hunt bow, muzz, bear, deer, etc. If I'm in my stand and a bear walks by on 10/19 and I have both my bow and muzz with me I don't think I'm legal to shoot that bear even with my muzz because I have a bow with me. Seems rather silly to me to run seasons concurrent and then make the rules that much different for the two species.



That said, I don't have the answer and don't know if there even is one yet. I just checked and see the 2019-20 digest is available so I'm going to do some reading....I'll report back when/if I find that answer.
bohunr likes this.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
JasonN is offline  
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 08:26 AM
Senior Member
 
JasonN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Warren, Pa - Clarion Co. Camp
Posts: 14,286
Back To Top
The digest doesn't say much at all about this. It clearly states you can have both bow and muzz when hunting deer during the overlapping archery/muzz doe season. Doesn't say anything about the bear though. I think I'm going to send and email to the PGC and see what they have to say.
bohunr likes this.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
JasonN is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 09:14 AM
Senior Member
 
jimbridger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: kunkle, pa
Posts: 15,918
Back To Top
http://read.nxtbook.com/pgc/huntingt...gulations.html


Muzzleloaders are an exception. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
jimbridger is offline  
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:24 AM
Senior Member
 
JasonN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Warren, Pa - Clarion Co. Camp
Posts: 14,286
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridger View Post
http://read.nxtbook.com/pgc/huntingt...gulations.html


Muzzleloaders are an exception. Waugh!

In regards to whom are you replying? It's clear in the digest (the link you provided takes you right to it) that you can carry both a bow and muzz during the overlap when archery/muzz hunting DEER. The question is can you carry both when hunting deer AND BEAR during that same overlap. Does carrying a bow preclude you from shooting a bear with the muzz? It was already answered somewhere that you can't shoot a bear with a bow in the bear muzz season. The bear muzz season is the same as the early doe muzz season....10/19-10/26. The PGC created a lack of clarity on this. They need to clear it up. I've sent and email and hopefully they respond. I'll post my question below and I'll certainly follow up with any answer they provide.


My email to the PGC:


Quote:
To whom it may concern,

Hello. Iím an avid hunter that enjoys both archery and muzzleloader hunting in this state. Iím also a bear hunter and Iím quite pleased to see the expanded opportunities offered this season to hunt bears in the muzzleloader season as well as the expanded archery bear season. That said, I have a few questions that I canít seem to find a solid answer to in the 2019-20 digest (all inquiries assume the hunter is properly licensed/permitted):

1) I know itís clearly stated in the digest that an archery/muzzleloader hunter can carry both weapons during the 10/19-10/26 early muzzleloader antlerless season. However, if one does carry both weapons does that take muzzleloader bear (same dates) hunting off the table because bear cannot be taken with a bow during that season?
2) Is it still legal to carry both weapons during that season and hunt bear but only take a bear with the muzzleloader?
3) Would it be prudent in the future to simply expand the archery bear season to overlap the muzzleloader bear season and thusly allowing both weapons just like antlerless muzzleloader/archery situation?

Thank you for your response.

Jason N
bohunr and loridr like this.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
JasonN is offline  
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:42 AM
Senior Member
 
jimbridger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: kunkle, pa
Posts: 15,918
Back To Top
I was replying to the OP.

As posting the link it is clear that one could carry both sporting arms and harvest any legal game with the proper sporting arm as long as properly licensed. I liked when it was first posted that it was OK. Than when there was conflict I posted the link so everyone could read the way it is written.

I guess it could be open for interpretation if you read into it. But as written I don't see the issue.


I like your suggestion of the overlap season to clear up any perceived or actual conflict in the interpretation. Waugh!
JasonN likes this.

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
jimbridger is offline  
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:54 AM
Senior Member
 
JasonN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Warren, Pa - Clarion Co. Camp
Posts: 14,286
Back To Top
I think the confusion in this goes back to the whole prima facia evidence of hunting thing. If I have a bow and a bear tag in muzz bear season I'm hunting bears regardless of whether I have an archery permit and hunting deer....and that means I'm illegal because it's not legal weapon for bears in muzz season. With deer bow/muzz both weapons are legal because both can be used for the same game animal....with proper permits/orange of course.



That, and it's the first year so there's always questions! I hope the PGC replies with an answer in a timely fashion.
jimbridger likes this.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
JasonN is offline  
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:10 PM
Senior Member
 
jimbridger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: kunkle, pa
Posts: 15,918
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonN View Post
I think the confusion in this goes back to the whole prima facia evidence of hunting thing. If I have a bow and a bear tag in muzz bear season I'm hunting bears regardless of whether I have an archery permit and hunting deer....and that means I'm illegal because it's not legal weapon for bears in muzz season. With deer bow/muzz both weapons are legal because both can be used for the same game animal....with proper permits/orange of course.



That, and it's the first year so there's always questions! I hope the PGC replies with an answer in a timely fashion.

I see your point but maybe it is just me and the way I think. The statement of any muzzy season is a green light to have both if properly licensed.



I see the issue your way if I arrowed a deer and no longer have a permit to use. Do I have to take the bow back to the truck or just prove I will not shoot any more game with it. Seems like it would not break the spirit of the law. I still say take them both and stand on the words as written.



Looking forward to the reply you get. Keep us posted thanks. Waugh!
JasonN likes this.

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
jimbridger is offline  
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:48 PM
Senior Member
 
JasonN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Warren, Pa - Clarion Co. Camp
Posts: 14,286
Back To Top
Yeah, that's kind of how I was thinking about it too....multiple ways to interpret it but not really sure which is correct or maybe both are. I'm anxious to see their response.
jimbridger likes this.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
JasonN is offline  
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:55 PM
Senior Member
 
JasonN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Warren, Pa - Clarion Co. Camp
Posts: 14,286
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridger View Post
I see your point but maybe it is just me and the way I think. The statement of any muzzy season is a green light to have both if properly licensed.



I see the issue your way if I arrowed a deer and no longer have a permit to use. Do I have to take the bow back to the truck or just prove I will not shoot any more game with it. Seems like it would not break the spirit of the law. I still say take them both and stand on the words as written.



Looking forward to the reply you get. Keep us posted thanks. Waugh!

I want to agree with what I bolded in your post. What I don't like is that it's under the heading "DEER ARCHERY SEASONS" and then there's nothing about it at all under "MUZZLELOADER DEER & BEAR SEASONS" and I think they should put a similar blurb under that too. You know, clear it up a little.


I suspect they're going to come back and say its fine to carry both as long as you have a valid deer tag/archery permit/muzzleloader permit/bear license you can kill a buck and/or doe with bow and still kill a doe and/or bear with the muzz.
jimbridger likes this.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
JasonN is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome