35 Remington vs 30-30 - Page 7 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:52 PM

My dad had a 141 in .35 when I was a kid. One time when he was "makin' sure" it was sighted in he shot at a mark on an apple tree in our pasture. We went down to look and that bullet went clear thru a 6" apple tree.

GREATEST GUN IN THE WORLD!

iv'e probably only shot 20 deer with a rifle, 270, 30-06, 250 savage, 220 swift, all what I'd consider "fast" calibers. Only 2 or 3 didn't collapse on the spot, none went more than 30 yds iirc. I don't even consider a blood trail when thinking about gun hunting, I expect them to go down in their tracks. I did shoot one last fall with a 358 win, same results, although I don't consider it to be "fast", 200 gr bullet at 2500fps packs far more punch than a 35 or 30-30.

Pence/Putin 2024
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 12:50 PM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
and that bullet went clear thru a 6" apple tree.
Is that good? It sounds it, but I don't know my trees as far as their bullet-stopping capabilities.

I remember an ad for the 460 Weatherby Mag with a picture of a guy blasting a tree in half with the 460. Can't remember what kind of tree or how thick it was. Impressed me when I saw it, though.
post #63 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOL View Post
Is that good? It sounds it, but I don't know my trees as far as their bullet-stopping capabilities.
Was that good? Was that good? When you're 8 years old stuff like that isn't just good, it's legendary. Obviously, the .35 remington was the WORLDS GREATEST RIFLE!

About that same time, my dad got a 20 gauge double. I was pretty disappointed, why not just keep using the 12 gauge? C'mon, that's what all the real duck hunters use, right dad? First day of duck season, probably about '67 or '68 he takes that peashooter duck hunting, I can't beleive it. Shortly after daylite the shooting starts and a small flock of woodies flies past, and he shoots once. Two woodies fall, I can't beleive it. Instantly, my dad owns the WORLDS GREATEST SHOTGUN!

Things like that are what makes being 8 years old so much fun. Thanks dad.
jimbridger and JasonN like this.

Pence/Putin 2024
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 03:44 PM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellodog View Post
Was that good? Was that good? When you're 8 years old stuff like that isn't just good, it's legendary. Obviously, the .35 remington was the WORLDS GREATEST RIFLE!

About that same time, my dad got a 20 gauge double. I was pretty disappointed, why not just keep using the 12 gauge? C'mon, that's what all the real duck hunters use, right dad? First day of duck season, probably about '67 or '68 he takes that peashooter duck hunting, I can't beleive it. Shortly after daylite the shooting starts and a small flock of woodies flies past, and he shoots once. Two woodies fall, I can't beleive it. Instantly, my dad owns the WORLDS GREATEST SHOTGUN!

Things like that are what makes being 8 years old so much fun. Thanks dad.

Yeah, I totally get it.
post #65 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOL View Post

I remember an ad for the 460 Weatherby Mag with a picture of a guy blasting a tree in half with the 460. Can't remember what kind of tree or how thick it was. Impressed me when I saw it, though.
That guy was Roy Weatherby.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #66 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The Hunting Rifle, written by the Late Great Jack O'Connor.
In that book he refers to it as the old Thutty,Thutty. He writes that the 30:30 probably has taken more White-tailed Deer in North America to date than any other cartridge.
It no doubt was a great cartridge but for me though if I had a choice of the 2 it would be the 35 Rem. I just always like the option of a 200 Gr. bullet.
hunterdan199 likes this.

Potter County
Gods Country USA

Last edited by Potter Co. Joe; 05-31-2019 at 07:32 PM.
post #67 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 05:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffppc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dce View Post
When I started hunting,my brother,father and I all used .35 rems.I lost track of the number of deer shot with that caliber.I always was and still remain unimpressed.Lethargic at best.I fail to see what's impressive about a 200gr bullet traveling less than 2000 fps.The only deer I ever saw drop were from neck shots and high shoulder shots that took out the spine.The majority never exited unless shot through the ribs and the exit hole was never impressive.That caliber turned mwe into a better tracker.When we started using 30-06's and .308's I was amazed that a lung shot would more often than not anchor a deer where it stood.
Of course everyone knows the answer is to shoot thru the animal and dump a bunch of energy in the tree behind it. I had a friend who constantly complained about double lunging deer and then having to track them for several hundred yards, or hearing a shot and finding someone standing over the deer he shot that they walked up to and shot thru it's neck at 2yds and claim the deer. Loaned him and his dad a .223 , they both shot deer that year that fell in 1 jump or less, energy all dumped in the deer. Nothing wrong with a larger gun but it is not needed. Little more range time will cure lots of deer shooting woes, regardless of the cartridge used. Zero your rifle than get off the bench and practice some real life shots.
Jeff, even if you have to start another thread so we do not hijack this one, could you explain to me what the energy "dump" actually does to a deer or animal?

If you don't want to get into it, just do me this favor the next time you get out to do some shooting.
Take a 5gal bucket of sand, it will weigh anywhere from 50 to 80lbs depending how dry/wet the sand is. Set it out at 50yds on a flat board, draw a circle around the base so you know where it sat, and shoot it with whatever cartridge or multiple cartridges that you want to. It will stop all the bullets. Let us all know the results of what all that energy stopping in that bucket of sand does to it, like how many times it flips end over end or is driven yards straight backwards from 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000+ft lbs of "energy". Video it if you can and post here.

I'll bet you a box of your favorite cartridges or reloading bullets that the bucket barely moves let alone is magically propelled feet backwards by all the energy.
The bullet, because of its small frontal diameter even when expanded cannot "hit" any harder than what you feel when firing the gun (equal/opposite reaction) except for the weight of the gun...(5lbs to 10lbs) which means virtually nothing. What you feel on your shoulder is what whatever your shooting at feels when hit.

Bullet dump, hits harder, extra death from energy alone just does not exist.

The energy allows a bullet to do its designed job.
A bullet stopping just under the hide on the far side does absolutely nothing more than the same bullet exiting. It is the damage done along the way to whatever is hit that kills.

I have previously posted links to a man (owner of 2nd chance body armor) standing on one foot while being shot at point blank range with a .308 and the man doesn't even lose his balance. He shoots himself with a .44 mag, in the chest, a few times, and he is talking and laughing the whole time.
Mythbusters shot "Buster" with a .50BMG. They hung him on a metal rod so it would slide when the energy hit. 12,500 ft lbs of energy and Buster didn't slide 2".

I am always willing to learn more if you care to tell me/us.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.

Last edited by mfuff; 07-05-2019 at 05:45 PM.
post #68 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 05:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

https://youtu.be/o5f1Fo4r4_I

That video is the man standing on one foot while shot at point blank with a .308
triggercreep likes this.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #69 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 11:37 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

50bmg. Crash test dummy on rope barely budges.

https://youtu.be/FsF8MLL-dns

post #70 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 12:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Since this post came out I started out doing some Google research.
In most cases the 35 Rem. get's the nod but I'm sure some opinions are biased due to ones love of a certain Cartridge.

Potter County
Gods Country USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page