Deer hunting success - Page 5 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:01 PM
Frequent Contributor

I haven’t shot a doe in quite a while. I get a doe tag and a dmap every year though. I have a difficult time shooting a doe in early archery season because it’s always too warm, I process them myself. When I take vacation during the rut I’m not interested in a doe. I always say I’m going to shoot one in rifle season but i come up with an excuse. This year I had a buck tag the whole season so I have a hard time taking a doe while I still have my buck tag. Flintlock season is my favorite time time to hunt with buddies and not worry about trying to hunt for a buck. Im a poor shot and haven’t connected in a few years though.
steelhead125 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:12 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavsteve View Post
I havenít shot a doe in quite a while. I get a doe tag and a dmap every year though. I have a difficult time shooting a doe in early archery season because itís always too warm, I process them myself. When I take vacation during the rut Iím not interested in a doe. I always say Iím going to shoot one in rifle season but i come up with an excuse. This year I had a buck tag the whole season so I have a hard time taking a doe while I still have my buck tag. Flintlock season is my favorite time time to hunt with buddies and not worry about trying to hunt for a buck. Im a poor shot and havenít connected in a few years though.
This is pretty close to the same thing I go through every season. I think the first few weeks of archery are too warm. Then as deer movement picks up with the cooler temperatures I donít want to mess up a area by shooting a doe when bucks are moving a little more in daylight. During rifle I tell myself if the situation is right I will shoot a doe but for one reason or another it never happens. During rifle season I am also hunting with other guys doing a lot of drives. I end up never shooting a doe because I would feel bad having them help me drag it out. You only have so much daylight and dragging a doe would burn up a lot of time.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonN View Post
I process my own as well. I don't know I'd call it a burden or a hassle, but between me and my wife and kids our season often breaks down something like this:

Kill a deer on Saturday, hang, gut, cool down at camp. Take it home, hang, skin, quarter, put in fridge....sometimes this doesn't happen in full until Sunday.

Sunday through Wednesday is cutting up deer every evening.

Thursday is packing for camp and then we're back at camp Friday.

Repeat almost weekly from the start of archery through rifle season.

Everybody is always looking forward to the first one. The second one is nice. By the third one we're starting to get unimpressed (maybe annoyed is the better word here?) with the monotony of it. The fourth one and those thereafter is just plain autopilot mode. My wife is sick of cleaning the cutting board (it's huge and has to go to the basin in the basement to wash it) and grinder and knives and packaging meat. The kids are sick of cutting and grinding. I'm sick of cutting and sharpening and doing the brunt of the work. We all have our jobs we do. We know why we do it. We want to do it. We all love venison. It also does get a little old by the end of the season though. It takes 5-6 deer to feed our family and make some good smoked treats like summer sausage, snack sticks and jerky. Again, I wouldn't say it's a hassle or a burden, but it does wear on us by the end of it.

Some might say not to shoot so many deer, but that's not really the problem. To do that would mean not hunting for the rest of my family or myself. There's four of us....that's not a whole lot of deer per person.

As an aside, I didn't put 'hang, gut' in the wrong order above. I did this last year for the first time ever and I might just keep doing it this way. I've never had an easier or cleaner gut job in my life! Hung a big doe up by her hocks, opened her up and pulled everything out into a sled to easily discard after a short drag down the trail. If it's a possibility for anyone to do that I highly recommend it! Super easy, less messy, everything is right there at hand/eye level and just falls out.
I say processing deer is a major pain in the butt, hassle, or whatever negative term you want to stick on it. For many years we have put somewhere around 10 deer a year in the freezer. I consider #1 to be almost as bad as #10. We can hunt by home after work/school during archery so we often hunt in the evening and then process the deer that were taken a few days earlier. Only good thing now is my kids are getting good at it and we have a pretty decent setup with good equipment, so it doesn't take long. Last year we had alot of meat left, so we only put 5 deer in the freezer, so it wasn't as bad.

My Dad always said deer hunting is alot of fun until you shoot a deer, then it is alot of work. Pretty much true.

The downside to archery is you often are cutting up 1 deer at a time. The cleanup is a pain the butt when only doing one deer.
JasonN and steelhead125 like this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce View Post
Your perspective will change once your kids start to hunt.I really lost most of my desire to kill anything over the past several years.I rarely carry a gun and when I do,I rarely shoot anything.I'm just as excited to be out there but for different reasons now.
That may change for you. I have found as my kids are getting older and I am starting to hunt more on my own, that my fire to hunt for myself is coming back. Now don't get me wrong, I would much prefer to see them get something rather than myself.

I guess as full disclosure though we are headed to Ohio this weekend to hunt turkeys. I could buy a 2nd tag, but I am not and just will call for my son. He is 16 so we could split up and hunt if we wanted to.
JasonN, BillHjr and steelhead125 like this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 12:03 PM

Well for the most part I just quarter and freeze until I feel like carving them into the cuts I want. I also hold chunks of meat from prior cuttings to grind fresh when I want or need burger. No need to fully process the deer during the active hunting season. Just hunt. Waugh!
steelhead125 likes this.

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
post #46 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 08:42 PM

For those who are losing the desire, I'll tell you how to fix that.

Make the hunt the challange. Quit shooting easy deer in familiar locations. When you know what's going to happen, and you don't really care, you are simply a deer shooter. Just shooting any deer, espessialy on your home turf is childsplay, and that becomes not so much fun pretty quickly.

My solution, hunt only bigger bucks in places iv'e never been. Forget does and yearling bucks, they're too easy everywhere, they won't bring your desire back. The actual kill has to be something meaningful, something you would be really disappointed if you failed to make it happen. If a doe gets your wind and walks away before you can shoot, you probably don't/won't care, but you won't feel the same when it's the only nice buck you've seen in a week in a new area you're hunting for the first time. You'll wish things had turned out different, you'll curse that wind, you'll wonder what you could have done different, you'll think about how you'll do things different next time. You'll give a crap, exactly what's missing in your current shoot any/every deer in the same old places kind of hunting that you now do.

I'm not suggesting holding out for only 140" or better bucks, or going to Iowa or Alberta. Just saying that hunting 10% of the herd on new to you ground will put the challange back into hunting, and the challange is what's missing if you're bored with hunting.
shouldvbeenthere likes this.

Pence/Putin 2024

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page