Business & Sat Opener - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 85Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Business & Sat Opener

I don't hunt NY but I talked to a guy that hunts there and he said how the Sat opener and Sunday hunting REALLY hurt the local business up there.He said before guys would go up and go to local stores and buy supplies,food,restaurants,building materials,etc before season opening.He stated now they hunt and go home! No money generated for local business.Would this possibly happen to the areas that have ""Deer Camps" in their areas?

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 04:40 PM
Sage

If you're in the position of having to bust hump now to get to deer camp on a Friday, many will probably bring their vittles from home, instead of buying them at grocery stores near camps?

I buy most of the groceries when I get to camp, although certain things to eat are always brought from home. When I went up on 4/25 for spring gobbler, all I took along was some frozen meat loaf and a few other things. Bought all new condiments for the camp fridge, eggs, bacon, soda, cold cuts, bread, milk, store made donuts and other stuff, at the local grocery, when I got there.

Deer season I usually fetch some other things from our freezer, since I'm there for two weeks, but they don't last more than a few days and we eat Friday nights at a restaurant's fish fry.

As some have noted, it's the local non-profits that will have to re-figure their annual hunters' dinner fund raisers, many of which were on the Sunday night before the opener. Many rural VFDs, churches and other groups depended on those dinners for part of their annual incomes.

We go to the local Grange Hall for the big feast on that Sunday night, for example. Their only other major fund raiser is their July Fourth chicken BBQ.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 05:42 PM

Local businesses have been hurting for many years already. After HR many stopped coming to camp because of lack of deer.
Bull and Doneworking153 like this.

4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 05:59 PM
Sage

No shortage of deer where I hunt and yet local hunting pressure has decreased over the past ten years. I don't expect the Sat. opener to change that.

Most area camps are still occupied, but those owned by non-residents and some from farther downstate, now seen to come up at the end of the first week. I suspect it's because they want to hunt doe, too and don't want to wait all week to do it? Since NRs can apply for a doe tag after one week, that's changed for the better for them.

it's the local hunters that are becoming more scarce. Old age, some I used to hunt with have passed on and the lads we once had as "bird dogs" for drives, grew up and moved away for work. Some come back to hunt, most don't.

Darn few drives these days, as most camp hunters opt to sit and wait for deer that are there, but aren't being moved like they once were. I know things are different, depending on where one hunts, just how it is now where I have hunted for over 55 seasons.

With well over 30-40 deer per square mile and more nice bucks than we'd ever had, that is not the issue in them parts.
bigguy54 and Bigbrownie like this.

post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 06:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
I don't see it at my camp! Of course everything I need is only a mile,mile !/2 into small town of Youngsville. "Warren County" Town has a Tops Market, Nice Hardware store, Good pizza shop, VFW club, Couple bars and restaurants. Our camp always supports the local business and Fire Dept. Year Round! Location, Location has a lot to do were your camp is at. When you have 8 or more hunters coming for a week or less. You don't wait until Friday after Thanksgiving to do it all!
post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyF View Post
If you're in the position of having to bust hump now to get to deer camp on a Friday, many will probably bring their vittles from home, instead of buying them at grocery stores near camps?

I buy most of the groceries when I get to camp, although certain things to eat are always brought from home. When I went up on 4/25 for spring gobbler, all I took along was some frozen meat loaf and a few other things. Bought all new condiments for the camp fridge, eggs, bacon, soda, cold cuts, bread, milk, store made donuts and other stuff, at the local grocery, when I got there.

Deer season I usually fetch some other things from our freezer, since I'm there for two weeks, but they don't last more than a few days and we eat Friday nights at a restaurant's fish fry.

As some have noted, it's the local non-profits that will have to re-figure their annual hunters' dinner fund raisers, many of which were on the Sunday night before the opener. Many rural VFDs, churches and other groups depended on those dinners for part of their annual incomes.

We go to the local Grange Hall for the big feast on that Sunday night, for example. Their only other major fund raiser is their July Fourth chicken BBQ.

MMMMMMMM meatloaf is my favorite! Mashed taters to?
post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:16 PM
Sage

MMMMMMMM meatloaf is my favorite! Mashed taters to?

Meatloaf I made, with some of last year's ground venison in the mix. Idahoan "instant" mashed taters. They're pretty tasty and just the thing for camp.

Someone finally figured out how to make instant mashed taters that actually taste good. We shunned them things for years, until she decided to try a pack last year and we liked 'em. Only time we make real ones, is Thanksgiving and New Years.

For deer camp, usually have some home made lasagne and mac/cheese to take along. The real stuff, not that Kraft ick.

We now have a Tops market in the closest ville to camp. Not as good as the store it replaced, but they have most of what I want.
casey likes this.

post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:22 PM
New Arrival

So now people are buying supplies in their local community and taking them with. Big deal, they're still spending money somewhere.
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 11:03 PM
Sage

Big deal for the local grocery stores, if you were once spending $150 or more and now aren't? I'm usually by myself now, unless a BIL comes up for a week, so that's for two people. When it was two buddies, dad and my son, triple that for the first week and that was over twenty years ago.

Figure a camp with six to a dozen people and what they spent for the first week locally, just on grub.

Gas and other money will still be spent locally, because you have to get back home again. Unless you're like some I see on the way to camp, hauling 5 gallon cans on a hitch hauler? Always wondered what that'd look like, if they got into a rear ender crash on the way.

I haven't been in a local gin mill while at deer camp in probably 40 years, but others do that. There will be some changes in local money spent, however you want to spin it. Pretty sure if I went to town on Saturday this fall, there won't be crowds in any store in town, like before.

post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 11:31 PM

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page