Business & Sat Opener - Page 7 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 85Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 12:45 PM

some folks are going to have to make a big change. a lot of families are still "Socializing" after Thanksgiving on that Saturday and know darn well they are not going to go to camp or out hunting unless they risk ticking off their wife and family members. for a lot of folks that Saturday get together is "tradition" for them and now they have a choice to make....

hunt opening day which is considered the best day to bag a buck as tons of hunters are moving thru the woods pushing deer everywhere OR stick to the family tradition and stay home to "socialize"...

if that was the choice i had to make...hunting isnt going to happen.
Tater86 likes this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 01:05 PM
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ftup View Post
Most guys I spoke with are now leaving on Sunday morning for the trek home, and all these guys stayed till Tuesday. The Sunday sit around day waiting for Monday is gone.
So these guys were okay with waiting around Sunday for the opener, but not to wait for the 2nd day?! Wouldn't most of us stay to hunt Monday as well?
bohunr likes this.
post #63 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 01:19 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mussgrass View Post
So these guys were okay with waiting around Sunday for the opener, but not to wait for the 2nd day?! Wouldn't most of us stay to hunt Monday as well?
Take a drive around northern tier on the Friday before the Saturday Bear opener and then drive around on Sunday. I can guarantee that will most likely happen for Deer season as well. Bear used to start on Monday as well and now that it starts on Saturday, a lot of folks go home instead of waiting to hunt again on Monday, it is the same situation.
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 01:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yup, that’s what I said! I usually stay till Wednesday now I’ll go home Sunday or maybe Monday. Those extra 2 days I save will be used in archery.
bohunr likes this.

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #65 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscott1 View Post
in my opinion that “stuff”, the socializing and comradely means more to recruitment and retention than which day the season starts. For many this change changes and even lessens that.

I disagree with you based on bear season experience, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion. We have a good time Saturday night and have a good time all day Sunday before hitting the laurel again Monday. Friday night is dinner and hanging out and prepping for the hunt in the morning. I don't see this being any different at all.
Bull, bohunr and Mussgrass like this.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #66 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater86 View Post
Take a drive around northern tier on the Friday before the Saturday Bear opener and then drive around on Sunday. I can guarantee that will most likely happen for Deer season as well. Bear used to start on Monday as well and now that it starts on Saturday, a lot of folks go home instead of waiting to hunt again on Monday, it is the same situation.

For reasons that don't make any sense to me this seems to be true. Lots of guys in the woods Saturday and then it's DRASTICALLY less on Monday. Tuesday is a morgue. Wednesday might as well not even be a hunting day for most. Our own crew (usually 17-25 guys) holds pretty strong for Saturday and Monday, but by Wednesday it's down to a handful at best.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #67 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 01:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonN View Post
For reasons that don't make any sense to me this seems to be true. Lots of guys in the woods Saturday and then it's DRASTICALLY less on Monday. Tuesday is a morgue. Wednesday might as well not even be a hunting day for most. Our own crew (usually 17-25 guys) holds pretty strong for Saturday and Monday, but by Wednesday it's down to a handful at best.
Wednesday is a preparation day for Thanksgiving....
bohunr likes this.
post #68 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAWC View Post
Wednesday is a preparation day for Thanksgiving....

We had to recover a 500lbs bruin Thanksgiving morning a couple years ago and get it to the Franklin HQ to be checked at a certain time after our fearless drive leader killed it the afternoon before....with what was left of our crew....I think there were 5 of them. They couldn't hardly move the thing!
bohunr and Tater86 like this.

post #69 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonN View Post
We had to recover a 500lbs bruin Thanksgiving morning a couple years ago and get it to the Franklin HQ to be checked at a certain time after our fearless drive leader killed it the afternoon before....with what was left of our crew....I think there were 5 of them. They couldn't hardly move the thing!
Sounds like a good problem to have, though....

We used to play tackle football on Thanksgiving morning at 9am....I remember having to take my buddy to the ER after I busted his collar bone into 3 pieces. I dropped him off in his new shoulder collar/sling and barely made it in home time for Thanksgiving lunch. Ha
JasonN likes this.
post #70 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater86 View Post
A lot of folks do not care to hunt much anymore regardless of when the opener is. Everything with hunting is a personal experience. Do the guys who go home from CAMP on Sunday or Monday are they happy? I think so. They all make the personal decision on what works for them. Maybe one day was enough for them. If a hunter does not want to adjust his schedule or cant adjust that schedule in the northern tier than he looses. I laugh at the guys who say they are going home on Sunday from their camp when they obviously are going to be there Saturday and normally would have been there Monday and possibly Tuesday and Wednesday. Do not guarantee anything Tater until you see what fellow hunters up in that north country are willing to do to make things work for THEM. I am sure most CAMP hunters have already made the necessary changes to make things work for them.
bohunr and JasonN like this.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page