Business & Sat Opener - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 85Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 08:21 AM
Sage

Yep, but this was about potential effects on local economies, due to the change to a Saturday opener. As with participation, only time will tell what that change will produce?

Lots of mileage made over the years, about how HR "ruined" rural economies in the northern tier counties, because hunters don't go to camps now due to "no deer".

Some areas never completely recovered in deer numbers from HR, most did. Blaming a lack of deer as the primary cause of rural economies suffering, doesn't quite cut it. More than one reason why not as many head north these days for deer, as they once did. That one has also been covered here over the years.

Multiple reasons why many rural economies have declined, as well.

The local economy where I hunt in 3A, was in trouble long before HR. Mostly due to jobs disappearing as plants and other once-major area employers, closed down. Some of that goes back over 25 years.

There as many empty store fronts in town, than there are occupied ones and that goes back decades. Jobs are scarce and have been for a long time. It's why many of our rural areas are losing population. Gas drilling perked things up a bit and is still a factor in some areas, but has tapered off a bit where I hunt.

Tourism in general has declined in many rural areas, be it hunting, leaf peeping or summer getaways.
bohunr, bigguy54 and Nightblaster like this.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:29 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey View Post
MMMMMMMM meatloaf is my favorite! Mashed taters to?
Don't forget the Gravy.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #13 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:38 AM

there is an article in the paper today regarding the Saturday opener. some gun shop owners are worried that their Saturday sales will drop. hunters stop in on Saturday to buy licenses and ammo before going to camp.

the people that wait until the Saturday before the opener to buy a license and ammo to sight in, shouldnt be allowed in the woods. they have 11 months to get ready for opening day, no one is that busy.

those gun shop owners may see a slight decline because people are to lazy to get their act together but i think the majority of people will adapt and buy their stuff at the same stores, earlier. the ones who are lazy will just buy their stuff LATE...oh well.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:53 AM
The Man

I have my cabin stalked all season only have to take smaller items such as lunch meat, milk, etc. I raise and butcher my own beef and pork, along with taking home canned and frozen food from garden.
bohunr likes this.
post #15 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
there is an article in the paper today regarding the Saturday opener. some gun shop owners are worried that their Saturday sales will drop. hunters stop in on Saturday to buy licenses and ammo before going to camp.

the people that wait until the Saturday before the opener to buy a license and ammo to sight in, shouldnt be allowed in the woods. they have 11 months to get ready for opening day, no one is that busy.

those gun shop owners may see a slight decline because people are to lazy to get their act together but i think the majority of people will adapt and buy their stuff at the same stores, earlier. the ones who are lazy will just buy their stuff LATE...oh well.
Lazy??? Lighten up on other hunters. I think many who frequent sports shops on that Saturday forgot something at home.

Stetam
bigguy54 and athos like this.
post #16 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 10:25 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Was talking to a Motel owner yesterday and he is already getting more reservations for Friday and Saturday night of opening weekend. Said he had vacancies for those nights the last few years. Expects to be booked full.
bohunr likes this.

I will prepare and someday my chance will come. - Abraham Lincoln

post #17 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 10:57 AM
Banned

the sun'll come out tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightblaster View Post
Was talking to a Motel owner yesterday and he is already getting more reservations for Friday and Saturday night of opening weekend. Said he had vacancies for those nights the last few years. Expects to be booked full.

Imagine that!! CleoW

bohunr likes this.
post #18 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 11:42 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightblaster View Post

That makes sense, but I wonder how his bookings for Sunday, Monday or Tuesday are gonna be affected?

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
post #19 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 12:25 PM
Sage

If hunters weren't booking a room until Sunday nights for the Monday opener, but now have booked for Friday and Saturday, they're probably only figuring on hunting one or two days, max? Have to wonder how long they stayed, when it opened on Monday.

There are two or three camps not far from mine, all of which are NR hunters, that sometimes don't show up now until the first Thursday or Friday of deer seasons.

I think one group rolled in that Friday night last year, apparently hunted Saturday and were gone by Sunday. Makes me think they do that now, because Saturday was the first day doe were legal? That's a long drive from DE, to hunt one day. Two, if they got there Thursday night.

When 3A was still a concurrent WMU, they were usually there for the Monday openers and stayed until Wednesdays.
bohunr likes this.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #20 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 12:45 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I gathered from the conversation with this Motel owner he felt it was good for his business because he was only getting one (1) night from many of his return customers in the past few years because they were coming in Sunday and leaving Monday evening to get back home.

With the change to a Saturday opener, he is getting two (2) nights from his return customers, because they are coming in Friday night, to hunt on Saturday and staying overnight now to drive back home on Sunday.

He knew this because they are calling and changing their reservations adding the extra night.
bohunr likes this.

I will prepare and someday my chance will come. - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by Nightblaster; 05-05-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page