Saturday Opener - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 227Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Saturday Opener

https://www.ydr.com/story/news/2019/...20/3630813002/

The PGC is giving you guys a second chance to tell them how bad a Saturday opener will be.

Good luck, Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony300wby View Post
https://www.ydr.com/story/news/2019/...20/3630813002/

The PGC is giving you guys a second chance to tell them how bad a Saturday opener will be.

Good luck, Tony
In 2020. The PGC evaluates the seasons dates/length every year so it is not really a surprise.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Old 04-30-2019, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot View Post
In 2020. The PGC evaluates the seasons dates/length every year so it is not really a surprise.
Im not surprised. I am just passing on the information.

Good luck, Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 06:07 PM
Sage

Yep....PGC's still annually getting gripes about the Saturday Bear Opener! Ever hear of the term: "Carved in stone"?? lol

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Old 04-30-2019, 07:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggy View Post
Yep....PGC's still annually getting gripes about the Saturday Bear Opener! Ever hear of the term: "Carved in stone"?? lol
Bear season is one thing, even though Saturday opener is a big mistake, but deer season is a whole new game.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:09 PM

I've been expecting this. The Board of Commissioners responded this year to pressure from a leading member of the Senate who wanted the Saturday opener. Now they are hearing from leading members of the House who didn't want a Saturday opening day and wanted it to remain on Monday. That is exactly why they should go with what the majority of the hunters want on issues that didn't have a significant wildlife management need.

I highly suspect there were also some promises of a license increase bill and now threats in the negotiations both before and since the vote for Saturday. Now the issue is probably a whizzing contest between the Senate and the House and the latest excuse both can use for denying a license increase. The Game Commisison can't win, but I suspect the Legislative body plan to keep it that way until they can justify a legislative take over of the Commission's funds and lands.

With that said though I now actually believe there is sufficient biological benefit from a Saturday opening day. We have needed more antlered deer harvested in some units for over a decade now. The three Saturdays could make great strides in reaching that biological objective. The same can be said of the potential for increased harvests on DMAP properties. So closer examination of the potential might mean their is a biological reason for a Saturday opening day as long as it includes another peak harvest day.

Dick Bodenhorn
Buckethead and Danesdad like this.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. S. B. View Post
I've been expecting this. The Board of Commissioners responded this year to pressure from a leading member of the Senate who wanted the Saturday opener. Now they are hearing from leading members of the House who didn't want a Saturday opening day and wanted it to remain on Monday. That is exactly why they should go with what the majority of the hunters want on issues that didn't have a significant wildlife management need.

I highly suspect there were also some promises of a license increase bill and now threats in the negotiations both before and since the vote for Saturday. Now the issue is probably a whizzing contest between the Senate and the House and the latest excuse both can use for denying a license increase. The Game Commisison can't win, but I suspect the Legislative body plan to keep it that way until they can justify a legislative take over of the Commission's funds and lands.

With that said though I now actually believe there is sufficient biological benefit from a Saturday opening day. We have needed more antlered deer harvested in some units for over a decade now. The three Saturdays could make great strides in reaching that biological objective. The same can be said of the potential for increased harvests on DMAP properties. So closer examination of the potential might mean their is a biological reason for a Saturday opening day as long as it includes another peak harvest day.

Dick Bodenhorn
while I agree with most of what you are saying, your last paragraph seems like trying hard to find the “silver lining” on this. I don’t dispute that there are areas that need a higher buck harvest for herd health, I’m just not sure this helps accomplish that. Adding an extra Saturday definitely could buy the Saturday opener will most likely drastically drop Monday numbers so I don’t see much net gain. The same with dmap. On the flip side if it does accomplish that for the areas that need the extra harvest, could it not also cause an “over harvest” of antlered deer in others regions? It don’t think the BOC was looking at this as making any positive impact on biology or they would have stated that. Hunters might take change better if you can show biological benefit.
jimbridger likes this.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. S. B. View Post

Dick Bodenhorn
I'm Ok with a Saturday opener in SRA units, and keep the Monday opener in the rest of the state...
jimbridger likes this.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
Old 05-01-2019, 11:06 PM
Part of the Community

But, RSB...weren't you AGAINST the Saturday opener just a few days ago?

Integrity is doing the right thing...even when no one is watching. C.S.Lewis
It's hip to be square. Huey Lewis
"Lady" Jerry Lewis
Old 05-02-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus22 View Post
But, RSB...weren't you AGAINST the Saturday opener just a few days ago?

He's stated several times he was neutral on the issue personally.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in