227Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #181 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:25 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by whil e kioti View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchunter1231 View Post
With so many on here claiming most folks are working 6 days a week how are they going to participate in the opener. Maybe they can take vacation on Saturdays but not Mondays.
Many manufacturing companies are shut down from Thanksgiving to Sunday...and start up on Monday...if you don't have seniority or the ability to use a PTO day you will loose 3 days pay if you don't show up on Monday.
This is true, and it was discussed during the many Saturday opener discussions.

It has been shown before here on HPA that the Saturday after Thanksgiving is not a typical Saturday when it comes to people being off work - many more people are off work that Saturday as compared to a typical Saturday not tied to a holiday. However, some choose to ignore that to push their Monday Opener agenda, as seen here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:34 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscott1 View Post
👍 Itís just too bad that so many canít see that you are 100% correct
That's the great thing about opinions...you can think you are 100% correct, but that does not mean the correctness fits for everyone involved. The PGC knew the opener change was going to be a give and take.....they are hoping hunters overall come out with more given than taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepennsylvanian View Post
Having a Saturday opener is one of the betters things that I have seen happen in my short hunting career! A close second would be APRs! I can't leave for camp until Friday evening, and it's been that way for years, as we always have a second turkey day my in laws. Now, going to camp will mean I get two days of hunting for one day of leave. I'll still get to be with my dad brother uncles and cousins. Well still have the big fire and drink beer and listen to the football game on Sunday. My dad will still sit where he always does. Our tradition of being up camp for the opener isnt going away we get to hunt two days together now! That excites me because I'd only ever hunt with all those guys on monday that it period. Now, no has to change anything they do and we get two days. I love that this happened, it's already made our group get talking about how excited we are!
How about this hunter/poster? He now gets 2 days to hunt with his hunting buddies/family instead of just one. Winner Winner, fireside Sunday dinner.

If we have tags available, I can now hunt with my son (MY license) and my Dad on Saturday, Monday, and Tuesday.....instead of just Monday and Tuesday. Our school district gives off school Monday and Tuesday after Thanksgiving.
Tony300wby likes this.
post #183 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAWC View Post
Quote:
👍 It’s just too bad that so many can’t see that you are 100% correct
That's the great thing about opinions...you can think you are 100% correct, but that does not mean the correctness fits for everyone involved. The PGC knew the opener change was going to be a give and take.....they are hoping hunters overall come out with more given than taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepennsylvanian View Post
Having a Saturday opener is one of the betters things that I have seen happen in my short hunting career! A close second would be APRs! I can't leave for camp until Friday evening, and it's been that way for years, as we always have a second turkey day my in laws. Now, going to camp will mean I get two days of hunting for one day of leave. I'll still get to be with my dad brother uncles and cousins. Well still have the big fire and drink beer and listen to the football game on Sunday. My dad will still sit where he always does. Our tradition of being up camp for the opener isnt going away we get to hunt two days together now! That excites me because I'd only ever hunt with all those guys on monday that it period. Now, no has to change anything they do and we get two days. I love that this happened, it's already made our group get talking about how excited we are!
How about this hunter/poster? He now gets 2 days to hunt with his hunting buddies/family instead of just one. Winner Winner, fireside Sunday dinner.

If we have tags available, I can now hunt with my son (MY license) and my Dad on Saturday, Monday, and Tuesday.....instead of just Monday and Tuesday. Our school district gives off school Monday and Tuesday after Thanksgiving.
good for him and good for you, too bad there even more that lost out. But I guess that the five and take you mention. Take from many give to a few.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:02 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
good for him and good for you, too bad there even more that lost out. But I guess that the five and take you mention. Take from many give to a few.
You are speculating - that is all any of us can do at this point. We shall see come November 30th. Come December 1st, then you can complain about what actually happened.
Tony300wby likes this.
post #185 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAWC View Post
Quote:
You are speculating - that is all any of us can do at this point. We shall see come November 30th. Come December 1st, then you can complain about what actually happened.
it is not speculation that long-standing traditions everywhere are now changed or lost. It is speculation that there will be any gain.
post #186 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:17 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
it is not speculation that long-standing traditions everywhere are now changed or lost. It is speculation that there will be any gain.
I am included in the long-standing traditions that were lost - I have hunted the Monday after Thanksgiving since I started hunting at the age of 12.

The speculation comes in when you talk about how many hunters consider it a negative change. Some are very disappointed and frustrated (outraged if you will) with the change....others are super happy about it....and it's my speculation that the true majority of hunters just need to know which day to be in the woods for opening day - they will make their traditions around hunting, not which day the hunting starts.
EIGHT POINT, JasonN and Tony300wby like this.
post #187 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Last poll i saw on here majority is in favor of Saturday start.
You need to get over it. I get so sick of hearing about traditions. No one cares about your traditions.

The pgc only cares about managment of the wildlife, maxing out opportunity for the hunters to be in the field to get the harvest they need.
The Saturday start on that Saturday. Statistics from department of labor shows is given off more then any other Saturday. Unless Christmas day or new year's day or fourth of July lands on a Saturday.

It makes sense to start it that day. No doubt.

No one can make a logical argument that it doesn't give more opportunity.
post #188 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:03 AM

Post the poll.

I’m sure you are tired of hearing about it. I’m sure the PGC and governors office is too. No one likes having their mistakes pointed out.

If the PGC only cared about those things they wouldn’t have messed with the opener as it will do nothing hot herd management, license sales, or retention. Actually let me restate that. The PGC May only care about those things but the BOC has lost touch with reality and it’s hunter base and only cares about keeping their positions and what they are told to do.

No one can make a logical argument for it that makes it ok to end that tradition. Show me a real added opportunity that everyone can use and doesn’t take away so much and we can talk
post #189 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Post the poll.

Iím sure you are tired of hearing about it. Iím sure the PGC and governors office is too. No one likes having their mistakes pointed out.

If the PGC only cared about those things they wouldnít have messed with the opener as it will do nothing hot herd management, license sales, or retention. Actually let me restate that. The PGC May only care about those things but the BOC has lost touch with reality and itís hunter base and only cares about keeping their positions and what they are told to do.

No one can make a logical argument for it that makes it ok to end that tradition. Show me a real added opportunity that everyone can use and doesnít take away so much and we can talk
He is referring to the only poll which was on HPA that actually had more in favor than opposed and that was after the change was passed.

4B
post #190 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Post the poll.

Iím sure you are tired of hearing about it. Iím sure the PGC and governors office is too. No one likes having their mistakes pointed out.

If the PGC only cared about those things they wouldnít have messed with the opener as it will do nothing hot herd management, license sales, or retention. Actually let me restate that. The PGC May only care about those things but the BOC has lost touch with reality and itís hunter base and only cares about keeping their positions and what they are told to do.

No one can make a logical argument for it that makes it ok to end that tradition. Show me a real added opportunity that everyone can use and doesnít take away so much and we can talk
The poll was right here on the HPA site and the results favored Saturday as the 1st day of regular rifle season.
Of the opposing articles I have read from a number of resources, the average age of those interviewed was over 60 years old and all but one individual interviewed did not even carry a gun into the woods anymore so that meant of all those interviewed in the articles and passages I read those hunters did not even actively hunt anymore and confessed to only wanting the Monday opener to stay because "it was always that way"...

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page