227Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #171 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 05:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIGHT POINT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter Co. Joe View Post
Hope I didn't stir the pot, was not my intention.
Yea maybe the Can has been kicked around enough. Crazy thing is and were all a little Guilty, it went from Sat. opener to hunting Raptors to what one does in his stand or blind or how one hunts.
Sounds like the proverbial shooting ourselves in the Foot.
Nah Joe you didn't...
It just kills me to the closed mindness that this subject brings out in people.....
I'm kind of like you that I don't have a stout position on this since over the years I have hunted the 1st Monday, then our group/ family gravitated to the 1st Saturday, then to the 2nd Monday for various reasons...
Our harvest rate and success never was affected regardless of our 1st day afield for upstate rifle season....
We always had a good time regardless of what day it was....
.Nothing is being taken away with a Saturday opener but a feeling of Tradition. It costs no one anything but a feeling to give someone else an opportunity...That I will support every time.....
Not necessarily, one of the biggest reasons I’ve heard for the change is that it will allow people to hunt the opener without having to take off work. The only way that makes any difference is if that person then no longer hunts Monday thereby defeating the purpose of moving the opener to increase the opportunity since they are only hunting one day anyway.

Personally the feeling of tradition is one of the main reasons I love the opening day of rifle season as the Monday after thanksgiving and the move to a Saturday opener cheapens that. The couple days at camp prior to the opener was what made the opening day of rifle special compared the opening of any other season. To me it was a 5 day vacation that I spend 349 days a year waiting for, now I foresee that the opening day will end up just like every other weekend where we go up Friday night, hunt Saturday and go home Sunday. In sports terms look at it like several games in the regular season vs the playoffs, technically it is exactly the same game but the playoffs feel far more special because of where it ends.

Additionally with half our group not getting up to camp until late Saturday or Sunday the last couple years due to work and family commitments I fear it is only a matter of time until they stop coming up for the opening day all together. After all if you can’t hunt the opener then what’s the purpose of using a vacation day to only hunt bucks when you could wait a week and hunt both?

So instead of an increase in opportunity like many claim this is I’m realistically looking at the end of a nearly 40 year (14 years for me) tradition for our camp for what gain? An extra day that realistically in the long term will result in us no longer going up for the opening day thereby resulting in less time afield? That seems like a pretty poor trade to me.

Honestly if they really wanted to increase the opportunity and add an extra Saturday they should have moved the entire season up a week, started it the Saturday before Thanksgiving and made it buck, doe and bear season. If they had done that then I think people would be far more accepting of the change since it actually would give people more opportunities to hunt. I know I personally would hunt that entire week minus heading home for Thanksgiving dinner then driving back up. That would give me 7.5 days of hunting including the following Saturday compared to the 3 or 4 I get now. To me that would be a trade worth making new traditions around.
pchunter1231 and Brent20 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMP70306 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIGHT POINT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter Co. Joe View Post
Hope I didn't stir the pot, was not my intention.
Yea maybe the Can has been kicked around enough. Crazy thing is and were all a little Guilty, it went from Sat. opener to hunting Raptors to what one does in his stand or blind or how one hunts.
Sounds like the proverbial shooting ourselves in the Foot.
Nah Joe you didn't...
It just kills me to the closed mindness that this subject brings out in people.....
I'm kind of like you that I don't have a stout position on this since over the years I have hunted the 1st Monday, then our group/ family gravitated to the 1st Saturday, then to the 2nd Monday for various reasons...
Our harvest rate and success never was affected regardless of our 1st day afield for upstate rifle season....
We always had a good time regardless of what day it was....
.Nothing is being taken away with a Saturday opener but a feeling of Tradition. It costs no one anything but a feeling to give someone else an opportunity...That I will support every time.....
Not necessarily, one of the biggest reasons I’ve heard for the change is that it will allow people to hunt the opener without having to take off work. The only way that makes any difference is if that person then no longer hunts Monday thereby defeating the purpose of moving the opener to increase the opportunity since they are only hunting one day anyway.

Personally the feeling of tradition is one of the main reasons I love the opening day of rifle season as the Monday after thanksgiving and the move to a Saturday opener cheapens that. The couple days at camp prior to the opener was what made the opening day of rifle special compared the opening of any other season. To me it was a 5 day vacation that I spend 349 days a year waiting for, now I foresee that the opening day will end up just like every other weekend where we go up Friday night, hunt Saturday and go home Sunday. In sports terms look at it like several games in the regular season vs the playoffs, technically it is exactly the same game but the playoffs feel far more special because of where it ends.

Additionally with half our group not getting up to camp until late Saturday or Sunday the last couple years due to work and family commitments I fear it is only a matter of time until they stop coming up for the opening day all together. After all if you can’t hunt the opener then what’s the purpose of using a vacation day to only hunt bucks when you could wait a week and hunt both?

So instead of an increase in opportunity like many claim this is I’m realistically looking at the end of a nearly 40 year (14 years for me) tradition for our camp for what gain? An extra day that realistically in the long term will result in us no longer going up for the opening day thereby resulting in less time afield? That seems like a pretty poor trade to me.

Honestly if they really wanted to increase the opportunity and add an extra Saturday they should have moved the entire season up a week, started it the Saturday before Thanksgiving and made it buck, doe and bear season. If they had done that then I think people would be far more accepting of the change since it actually would give people more opportunities to hunt. I know I personally would hunt that entire week minus heading home for Thanksgiving dinner then driving back up. That would give me 7.5 days of hunting including the following Saturday compared to the 3 or 4 I get now. To me that would be a trade worth making new traditions around.
👍 It’s just too bad that so many can’t see that you are 100% correct
pchunter1231 likes this.
post #173 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:30 PM
Regular Visitor

Having a Saturday opener is one of the betters things that I have seen happen in my short hunting career! A close second would be APRs! I can't leave for camp until Friday evening, and it's been that way for years, as we always have a second turkey day my in laws. Now, going to camp will mean I get two days of hunting for one day of leave. I'll still get to be with my dad brother uncles and cousins. Well still have the big fire and drink beer and listen to the football game on Sunday. My dad will still sit where he always does. Our tradition of being up camp for the opener isnt going away we get to hunt two days together now! That excites me because I'd only ever hunt with all those guys on monday that it period. Now, no has to change anything they do and we get two days. I love that this happened, it's already made our group get talking about how excited we are!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #174 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 07:09 PM

Let's just make the first day... Thanksgiving Day
Almost everybody has off, many have Friday and Saturday off
Then most everybody can hunt the first three days of the season
Look at all the opportunity
And Heck with thanksgiving dinner, its just a dumb tradition
.....heck with what the old lady thinks about it, otherwise your first day can be the first day she let's you.
post #175 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 07:43 PM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wainzoid View Post
.....heck with what the old lady thinks about it, otherwise your first day can be the first day she let's you.
Yep... now my bubble has burst, thanks alot....
post #176 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Pretty solid argument there!
post #177 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent20 View Post
Sitting here thinking about the Saturday opener and how odd it is going to feel to hunt that Saturday. Sure is going to be different and donít think itís something Iíll ever get use to. Itís extremely frustrating to sit back and watch something taken away from you that lasted so long and never needed to change. All for what?
Lol...why will it feel odd.??? No different then getting up and going hunting any other day other then it will give more families the opportunity to do it together.
Go hunt and enjoy! I know I will!
Tony300wby and Mussgrass like this.
post #178 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMP70306 View Post
Not necessarily, one of the biggest reasons Iíve heard for the change is that it will allow people to hunt the opener without having to take off work. The only way that makes any difference is if that person then no longer hunts Monday thereby defeating the purpose of moving the opener to increase the opportunity since they are only hunting one day anyway.

Additionally with half our group not getting up to camp until late Saturday or Sunday the last couple years due to work and family commitments I fear it is only a matter of time until they stop coming up for the opening day all together. After all if you canít hunt the opener then whatís the purpose of using a vacation day to only hunt bucks when you could wait a week and hunt both?

So instead of an increase in opportunity like many claim this is Iím realistically looking at the end of a nearly 40 year (14 years for me) tradition for our camp for what gain? An extra day that realistically in the long term will result in us no longer going up for the opening day thereby resulting in less time afield? That seems like a pretty poor trade to me.

With so many on here claiming most folks are working 6 days a week how are they going to participate in the opener. Maybe they can take vacation on Saturdays but not Mondays.
TnT55 likes this.

4B
post #179 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:54 PM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Antler View Post
Quote:
Pretty solid argument there!
Not at all an arguement, just rantings of frustration. And that's cool, your allowed to be. The fact is, it has changed, so I'm choosing to look forward positively. Sure it sucks that the traditional monday won't be the opener. Maybe this will effect some hunters negatively. All I know for 10000000% is that Saturday is now the opener, I will be hunting that day and monday and that has me really excited for deer camp this year. Hunting is very important to me and my family, it makes no difference when seasons start, I will make time for it, that being said I'm happy about the change. So rant away my friend take your frustration out on that keyboard!! Waugh
post #180 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:06 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchunter1231 View Post
With so many on here claiming most folks are working 6 days a week how are they going to participate in the opener. Maybe they can take vacation on Saturdays but not Mondays.
Many manufacturing companies are shut down from Thanksgiving to Sunday...and start up on Monday...if you don't have seniority or the ability to use a PTO day you will loose 3 days pay if you don't show up on Monday.
JasonN, Tony300wby and OAWC like this.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page