Too Many or Not Enough? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Too Many or Not Enough?

Too Many or Not Enough? Deer I mean. Lot's of opinion's on here, but here's the facts and not the opinions. CleoW

www.thetimes-tribune.com/sports/top-ranking-not-worth-celebrating-1.2475771

Top ranking not worth celebrating

Doyle Dietz, Correspondent / Published: April 28, 2019

When it comes to whitetail deer, Pennsylvanians can make the claim “We’re No. 1!”

Unfortunately, it’s not a boast if made by deer hunters.

Instead, it reflects the ongoing sad state of affairs for hunters and non-hunters alike when it comes to deer-vehicle fatalities.

Pennsylvania remains No. 1 by a wide margin over all other states in deer-vehicle collisions, with more than 10% of the nation’s estimated total of deer-related accidents, according to the 2019 Quality Deer Management Association Whitetail Report.

Based on industry data provided by State Farm Insurance, Pennsylvania filed an estimated 141,777 claims from July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2018.

Even that total is conservative as it is based solely on comprehensive and collision claims. Not included are collisions by policy-holders with only liability coverage on their insurance.

Of the top five states that contributed to the nation’s 1,330,276 deer-vehicle-accident claims, Michigan reported 87,959 incidents to trail Pennsylvania by 53,818 accidents. Completing the top five are New York, 72,314; North Carolina, 64,200; and Texas, 60,857.

With an estimated 374,690 deer taken by hunters during the 2018-19 hunting seasons, the deer-vehicle accident total represents approximately 38% of the overall state total, and hunter success was approximately 10% more than the 367,159 taken during the 2017-18 seasons.

In 2018-19, hunters took 147,750 bucks, which is fourth overall, since the start of antler restrictions in 2002, but a decline of 10% from the 163,750 bucks taken in 2017-18.
Today, the biggest deer-related challenge facing hunters, the Pennsylvania Game Commission and independent agencies is containing the spread of chronic wasting disease and culling deer from the herd that have been identified with the disease, which always is fatal to the deer it affects.

CWD has been found in both captive and free-ranging deer, but has not been detected in most Pennsylvania counties.

The PGC is not deterred in its commitment to battle CWD in spite of opposition from some who have refused to accept scientific research that has identified the cause of the disease.

One of the immediate steps the BOGC has taken to address combating the spread of CWD is increasing antlerless allocations for the 2019-20 hunting in the six wildlife management units were the disease is present in free-ranging deer.

WMUs 2C, 2D, 2E, 4A, 4B and 4D will receive a combined allocation of 37,000 more antlerless permits than issued for the 2018-19 seasons.

No matter what it takes, keeping Pennsylvania from being No. 1 among CWD states is worth doing.

Doyle Dietz is a freelance outdoors writer. He can be reached at
[email protected].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 08:03 AM

Still way too many deer in 1A.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 08:09 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Not too many deer, there are too many people in pa. Lived on the same road along the mountain for 61 years and there is ten times the number of houses then when I was a kid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 08:33 AM
Sage

There are over 10 times the number of deer where I am than when I was a kid.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 09:14 AM

The more doe tags they sell the more $$$ they make.GREED is an ugly thing.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:02 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrom View Post
Still way too many deer in 1A.
Last fall, around Thanksgiving, my neighbor spotted 65 deer on 5 miles of road we live on. Sad part is a lot of it posted.
bohunr, TBrom and rcshank85 like this.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Banned

What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestman3 View Post

Ya, very greedy, especially with the BIG license hike in the year??????????????? Some just can't figger I guess. CleoW
triggercreep likes this.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestman3 View Post
So is throwing tossing out nonsense thinking it is clever. Greed, they haven't had a license increase in 20 years, yeah, they are really greedy.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 04:02 PM
Frequent Contributor

Walked 7 miles turkey hunting yesterday morning and saw no less than 30 deer. I’m thinking the number was closer to 50. This was on land open to hunting. I’m not sure who the owner actually is? Collins pines? Seneca resources? Some may have been state land. I was amazed at the amount of deer and deer sign though. Probably should have did a little more turkey scouting because we weren’t over run with them.
bohunr and Woods walker like this.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 05:28 PM

Too many people in PA. That's what is too many.
bohunr, JoeG52, treefisher and 2 others like this.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page