• 1 Post By BOWHUNTERZ7
  • 1 Post By Woods walker
  • 1 Post By cspot
  • 2 Post By JasonN

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Question on clear cut?

I just found out last week my cousin is going to clear cut most of his property that adjoins my property. I know its hard to explain on here but I will try. I own property on both sides of the road and the section across the road from me is where this will happen. Its a descent size ridge and he is going to do the top part only guessing maybe 75 acres. My property adjoins him and I have a tower stand almost next to property line on top. For years I have had trouble seeing out and up over top part on his side. Im thinking I will be able to see out from me long ways better but to my left probably only 100 yards due to going up hill. I feel bad for him he was debating for some time but he just plain out needs the money and I am happy for him if it will help him financially. I was kind of wondering how this would affect me and I know its hard to explain the terrain on here. I asked him today if he would mind if I went on his side after the cut with my bobcat and grade up some area for a good size food plot , he was fine with that and really don't hunt that much anymore. Any opinion of how this might affect me and if I should food plot the area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:31 AM
Sage

It will affect you for the better when the growth regenerates. You will have a huge natural food plot. Of course as it gets thick your sight will be restricted but the deer will still move in and out.
jimbridger and bearhollow like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Always heard they would help but never had it that close to me. Just hate to see the atomic bomb effect at first but if down the road it produces win win for the animals and hunters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:24 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I had 102 acres of my property clear cut 2 years ago. Turns out it was a great decision even though it looked like a disaster the first year. I have more game on my property than ever before and its growing up with better quality trees. I put 3 food plots on it and two ponds after the logging, gives you a chance to add a few things that otherwise would have been tough to do. In my opinion it was the best thing for my property at the time.
bearhollow likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:01 PM
Part of the Community

Question, I have my eye on a clear cut that was done last summer. Will there be enough regrowth to attract deer this year or will it take a second growing season. It is on a mountain with no crop sources for miles. Area is about .5 by .8 mile.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:13 PM
Sage

Go up and scout the area un June, that should tell you if there is browse on the ground yet. Also look for deer trails entrances and exits from the cut.
outofstater likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:04 PM

Anytime there is a drastic change in habitat it will change deer movement patterns in the area. You may or may not need to adjust stand locations to compensate for that. That being said it should make your deer hunting better as once that thickens up the deer will have a great hiding place and place to eat.

One thing you may want to do is keep a shooting lane opened up from your stand so that you can see into the clear cut a ways.
bearhollow likes this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:01 AM

We basically clear-cut our 60 acres in 2012. The first few years were okay...we killed deer aplenty. Travel patterns changed but not much....they still come/go from/to the same places, but take different routes than before due to logs/tops/etc. The last couple years have been better and better as the briars and saplings are thinning. Deer have tunnels in the briars. Hunting can be tough....we have to drive deer to move them in rifle season usually and almost all hunting has to be done from tree stands just to see and shoot. I suspect it's just going to keep getting better for the next 10 years or so before it's thin enough to hunt from the ground effectively. Right now it's kind of like a giant bedding area. Strategic stand placement is key.
jimbridger and bearhollow like this.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:56 AM

If you have oak trees on your land forget the food plot and let it become a bedding area and kill them when they come over for acorns.Should be perfect.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 10:50 AM
The Man

I have seen areas that were timbered and ruined because the invasives took over.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page