Northern Big Woods Insight - Page 5 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldvbeenthere View Post
I am very familiar with the area your camp is located. Donít limit yourself to elk state forest. From your location, some great hunting is not that far away in Sproul and Susquehannock state forests also. Get in shape for sure. Big buck can be seen on a regular basis if you know how to hunt the wind and thermals. They get very educated with the pressure they receive in bear season from all the bear gangs driving those hills surrounding 872. Come deer rifle season you wonít see many hunters if any at all. I first built my cabin thinking it was a hunting camp only. My family has fallen in love with the area and the many different activities each season brings. Now the once just a hunting camp has become our second home.
Second home is definitely my goal. I want my kids to grow up having a appreciation for nature and a love for the outdoors. We will always have sports and other activities around home but when we have a chance I want us to go up there and unplug from every day life and just enjoy being in the wilderness.
shouldvbeenthere likes this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot View Post
I only do that if we have something early Sunday Morning at home that we have to be back for. Why not spend the night Saturday night and then do some stuff on Sunday with them. I think your kids are a good bit younger than mine, but at night if warm enough we do the outside fire with smores and all the good stuff and when it is cold we tend to play board games and cards. Without electronics you can have some good old fashion fun. LOL.

The other thing is the wife and kids can do some stuff during the day when you are hunting. The downside is this leaves you without a vehicle to drive around as I don't think you will be driving separately.

Not sure what your vehicle situation is like but when we take the whole family and the dogs, I now take an enclosed cargo trailer along to pack alot of the stuff. This is especially handy when hauling the kayaks up there or when packing a bunch of hunting gear. My short bed Ford even with a cap just couldn't haul enough of the crap that we end up taking. Also the cargo trailer gives you additional storage space when you are there.

If nothing else you can leisurely get up Sunday morning, pack up and then get home mid afternoon.
I plan on having weekend getaways with them as much as possible. In May I hardly have any time to turkey hunt. Used all my vacation for deer season. Did manage to get the 16th and the 21st off. They will be in daycare and kindergarten on those days so it would be a good time to make it up there and hunt for a day. Also could kill two birds with one stone and do a little scouting for deer while I am turkey hunting and also familiarize myself with the area. Also thinking about going up there for the first day of rifle bear. Already discussed it with my wife and have rifle season locked down from Saturday until Tuesday afternoon. My kids are still too young to take them up to hunt or do any serious scouting with me. My oldest son just turned 6 in December. I donít think he will be ready to go up there for a couple years for hunting. The other three will be following shortly behind him.
bigguy54, NanookOdaNorth and cspot like this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter

Last edited by steelhead125; 04-22-2019 at 08:57 PM.
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbert View Post
You can also walk across the dam to get over there.
We were up on the Dam Sunday. About 15 years ago we walked across the Dam to turkey hunt. That was last time I have been back in there.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:26 AM
New Arrival

I have a camp just out of Wharton. Getting out and scouting will be the most important thing to finding deer. Hunting near the acorns with thick/steep cover nearby is my favorite for bow season (such as transition saddles between points). Also learn how to work the wind/thermals. At this point I have a set of routes that I can use in rifle season that I rotate between and know the wind/thermals will work in my favor. Getting away from roads usually helps as well. I hunted the entire first week of rifle last year without seeing another hunter besides my brother and we both ran into our personal best bucks. I am very thankful to my grandfather and uncles for picking this spot to establish our camp. Best place in the world for me.
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:00 AM
New Arrival

The only thing I would say is why not wear snake boots or gaiters, at least in the warmer months. We have a camp a few miles past Sinnemahoning and my Dad was about 2' from stepping on one in the Spring a few years back. Now nothing happened during this encounter other than us snapping a few pics and moving along, but who's to say the next encounter will go the same way. We were miles from our vehicle when we ran into that snake and neither of us had snake boots or gaiters at that point. I'm not trying to cause a panic by any means, but to me wear the boots or gaiters for piece of mind.

Last edited by smj8322; 05-01-2019 at 08:05 AM.
post #46 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Few pics from yesterday morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BA49E939-625B-44DB-B178-A1C69B6B41EC.jpeg (1.30 MB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DACDAA56-327F-4AC6-9F33-9C3435164BA4.jpg (2.07 MB, 15 views)

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #47 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 11:04 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Beautiful pics bud, I miss that place SO MUCH !! 😞
steelhead125 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page