R.I.P. Pennsylvania hunting tradition - Page 25 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 454Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #241 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscott1 View Post
Mostly because it is useless and unwanted by most hunters. Also Monday worked for 65-75% of hunters so there was no problem to fix. .
The poll taken here says otherwise.... over 50% want the Saturday opener....
It's close, but I guess you got finger cramps voting "no".......

Musgrave,
Our group had a "tradition" of hunting buck starting on the 2nd week of the rifle season.
Most of those guys are dead, but the one's who are still alive I'll have to get around to telling them we did not have a tradition because it didn't;'t include the "opener".....

Good luck with Cscott1, he talks in so many circles, you'll need some Demerol to keep from getting dizzy....
Tony300wby likes this.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:39 PM
New Arrival

If most hunters are against this, then it may turn out that most hunters won't be hunting on Saturday. We'll have to compare the 2019 opening day harvest numbers to the opening day harvest numbers of the past 10 years. Now, in the SRA, I'll have to share that Saturday with the gun hunters while I bowhunt. All that means is I'll have to get in between the 150 yard safety zone for the sluggunners & the 50 yard safety zone for the bowhunters. I guess I'm going to have to wear that awful F.O.
Tony300wby likes this.
post #243 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIGHT POINT View Post
Quote:
Mostly because it is useless and unwanted by most hunters. Also Monday worked for 65-75% of hunters so there was no problem to fix. .
The poll taken here says otherwise.... over 50% want the Saturday opener....
It's close, but I guess you got finger cramps voting "no".......

Musgrave,
Our group had a "tradition" of hunting buck starting on the 2nd week of the rifle season.
Most of those guys are dead, but the one's who are still alive I'll have to get around to telling them we did not have a tradition because it didn't;'t include the "opener".....

Good luck with Cscott1, he talks in so many circles, you'll need some Demerol to keep from getting dizzy....
you mean the HPA poll that is not somehow valid when it shows Saturday ahead but when the first one was conducted and Saturday lost it was meaningless?

I was referring to the PGC numbers that show 550,000 hunters out on opening Monday out of about 850,000 license sold. That’s about 65%. Remove those who tagged out in archery and those with no intention of hunting until the second Saturday and its more like 75%. Most guys could make Monday work.

Where did I say you couldn’t have any tradition if it did not include the opener? Anyone can have any tradition they want. Except those who wanted their Monday opener traditions the way they dad then. They just lost that. And hunters like you are spitting in their face with your posts here.
Nosaturdayopener likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAtradarcher View Post
If most hunters are against this, then it may turn out that most hunters won't be hunting on Saturday. We'll have to compare the 2019 opening day harvest numbers to the opening day harvest numbers of the past 10 years. Now, in the SRA, I'll have to share that Saturday with the gun hunters while I bowhunt. All that means is I'll have to get in between the 150 yard safety zone for the sluggunners & the 50 yard safety zone for the bowhunters. I guess I'm going to have to wear that awful F.O.
there will be some that don’t or can’t hunt Saturday that is certain. I would expect anyone who can make Saturday work will, but doesn’t mean that is what they wanted.
PAtradarcher likes this.

Last edited by Cscott1; 04-15-2019 at 04:55 PM.
post #245 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:53 PM
The Man

Quote:
if I can, yes. At this time Iím not sure if I will be about to.

..Well...I hope you are able to..and wish you and your youth new great memories.

..We may all not see old or new traditions in the same spectrum...but the one thing we can all agree with, as hunters, is the time spent with family, friends, or alone in the woods can and should still be enjoyed and cherished no matter what day we are there...whether the first or last of the season.
PAtradarcher and Mussgrass like this.
post #246 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbhnger10 View Post
Quote:
if I can, yes. At this time I’m not sure if I will be about to.

..Well...I hope you are able to..and wish you and your youth new great memories.

..We may all not see old or new traditions in the same spectrum...but the one thing we can all agree with, as hunters, is the time spent with family, friends, or alone in the woods can and should still be enjoyed and cherished no matter what day we are there...whether the first or last of the season.
thank you. And yes I do agree. Good luck and happy hunting to you and yours
PAtradarcher likes this.
post #247 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:55 PM

CScott, does any of it even matter anymore? Saturday is now the opener for sure and we're all going to have to adjust and you know we'll be out there for it.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #248 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
there will be some that donít or canít hunt Saturday that is certain. I would expect anyone who can make Saturday work will, but doesnít mean that is what they wanted.
Me and my youngs sons are in that group of many that will not be able to make the opener now.

4B
post #249 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggercreep View Post
CScott, does any of it even matter anymore? Saturday is now the opener for sure and we're all going to have to adjust and you know we'll be out there for it.
None of the poll results, survey numbers and reasons why this useless thing happened really matters anymore, no. However I do believe the attitude of the so-called sportsman towards her fellow hunters matters quite a bit.
post #250 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:37 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAtradarcher View Post
If most hunters are against this, then it may turn out that most hunters won't be hunting on Saturday. ...
That's highly doubtful. The biggest chance for success is day 1 as the deer don't know they are the targets of the big bang yet. But they know on day two.

Hunters don't want to reduce that chance % by skipping opening day.

(Unless you hunt where there are no deer)
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page