R.I.P. Pennsylvania hunting tradition - Page 23 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 454Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #221 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
There arenít many on this forum who can claim others are being judgmental and also claim they havenít done likewise themselves.

No need to judge the judgments and start fights over how others are fighting.
i could say that......but it wouldnt be true

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:41 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
There arenít many on this forum who can claim others are being judgmental and also claim they havenít done likewise themselves.
Yup.
That would be the shortest list in the history of lists.
And I know I'm not on it.
post #223 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post

speaking of experts and writing books, [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/images/Huntingpa_toucan/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG] have you accepted the statistics on safety from other states regarding the use of SA rifles for big game yet ? [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/images/Huntingpa_toucan/smilies/tango_face_devil.png[/IMG] [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/images/Huntingpa_toucan/smilies/tango_face_angel.png[/IMG]

(Dont hijack the thread)
Of course, those statistics are absolutely undeniable facts.

I’m those states😜(I had to!)
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #224 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

What did I miss ?
post #225 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10der222 View Post
What did I miss ?[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/images/Huntingpa_toucan/smilies/tango_face_devil.png[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/images/Huntingpa_toucan/smilies/tango_face_devil.png[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/images/Huntingpa_toucan/smilies/tango_face_devil.png[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/images/Huntingpa_toucan/smilies/tango_face_devil.png[/IMG]
not much... opener still changed, some still hate it, some still love it, and we still bicker!
bohunr, pchunter1231 and Steeltrap like this.
post #226 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 12:42 AM

I really didn’t care either way about changing the opener, but seeing the apoplectic responses by some make me support it now...lol

There are some who will get riled up about ANY decision that the game commission makes. It’s like some people just have to have these feeling or somehow “getting screwed” and them “fighting the good fight” in response to it. After all, THEIR opinion on things is superior to everyone else’s and nobody knows what they are talking about except THEM...

We’ve been through this countless times over the last 20 years or so and it makes me chuckle every time people lose their minds over every change to “tradition”. Concurrent season and the elimination of the 3 day doe season, antler restrictions, mentored youth regs, and now a Saturday opener. And now we are seeing more hysterical ranting about Sunday hunting and semi autos. Every change being met with “THEY ARE DESTROYING THE SPORT AND TRADITION!” cries. But every change not spelling the end of deer hunting in PA.

But I really enjoy the hypocrisy. Guys lecturing those in support of things like a Saturday opener, Sunday hunting and semi auto inclusion by calling them “selfish” and wanting things “their way”, while their only argument against it is because THEY don’t like it and THEY don’t want it to change.

In the end, I don’t know about a Saturday opener upping license sales and I don’t know who was pushing that. IMO, things like a Saturday opener and Sunday hunting are going to be needed as more and more hunters are lost due to baby boomers quitting and most youths not having the time or desire to hunt. So wha I see is an ever dwindling number of hunters needing more opportunities to harvest the same amount of game. I foresee longer seasons and more tags in the future for the remaining license holders.

As I said earlier, I really could care less about a Saturday opener or even the inclusion of semis but I fully support Sunday hunting and a license fee increase. Sunday hunting would give me 6 more days of archery hunting, 6 more days of spring gobbler hunting, many more days of small game hunting. Fall/early winter is pretty busy at work for me and many times I’m working 6 days a week, so I fully support Sunday hunting.

And here’s where I’ll bring up the hypocrisy again. A lot of the guys that I see complaining the loudest about things like Sunday hunting are retired and have 6 days a week to be out there, most days having the woods and water essentially to themselves. Why would they care about Sunday hunting when they can hunt every other day of the week? They say things like “the deer need a day of rest” and I just shake my head and chuckle. I then say, “ok, how about making no hunting on Wednesday then?” And they don’t know what to say. “How come the game in the majority of other states seem to be doing just fine without them getting a day of rest?” Again, no response or some mumbling about PA being “different”. I think my favorite is when a discussion about Sunday hunting was brought up at the sportsman’s club and when my dad and I indicated that we favored it, some cantankerous chap angrily turned abound and shouted “YOU WANNA HUNT ON SUNDAYS? DO LIKE I DO AND GO TO NEW YORK!” Lol, so apparently the deer don’t need that day of rest over in NY, eh??? Like I said, the hypocrisy is off the charts. THEY don’t want it so that means that it shouldn’t be, and if YOU want it then you’re selfish...

We’ll all survive the Saturday opener, I know it.
JasonN, Tony300wby and elk yinzer like this.
post #227 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscott1 View Post
not much... opener still changed, some still hate it, some still love it, and we still bicker!
And you've cried nonstop since.
RyanR likes this.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #228 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggercreep View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscott1 View Post
And you've cried nonstop since.
I’m sorry that you feel that is what this is about.
post #229 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:53 PM
New Arrival

The PGC isn't mandating that you have to hunt the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Those who want to conform to tradition can still keep their tradition and start on Monday. Those who love the hunting more than "Prep Time," can start on Saturday. It's that simple.

IMO, I really don't buy the "Prep Time" excuse. I find it impossible to believe that anyone has to wait until the two days before a season opener to get bench-time with their chosen firearms; getting their gear sorted & packed; getting the food & drink situation in order; getting the camp in order; etc. Ditto that for small game hunters, archery hunters, anglers, etc. Right or wrong, that's my opinion.
archery22, JasonN, jk6140 and 1 others like this.
post #230 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAtradarcher View Post
The PGC isn't mandating that you have to hunt the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Those who want to conform to tradition can still keep their tradition and start on Monday. .

I've said this 100 times on these threads but Cscott1 and the doomsday gang still are clamoring....
Tony300wby and Steeltrap like this.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page