R.I.P. Pennsylvania hunting tradition - Page 22 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 454Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #211 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
Now you're dealing in semantics.

When I grunt one in to me and I hunting or waiting? How about the two I killed when I rattled 'em in? Is that hunting or waiting?

You twisted my post.

Hunters will push deer or move deer just walking. As someone stated above......it's important to know their escape routes when such events occur.
Shhh dont tell anyone but i was sitting in a spot last year and someone walked in below me and bumped deer up to me by accident. Not sure if that is considered waiting or hunting.
bohunr and Steeltrap like this.

4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 04:22 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIGHT POINT View Post
Because the underlying reason some are against the Saturday opener is because they fear they will not get a deer on Monday.
They hide behind "tradition" but down deep, they don't want someone else in the woods before them.
If you are relying on other people to push deer to you and it is not an organized deer drive then you are not hunting IMO.....
There is no tactics involved if you are simply sitting in a spot in the woods and hoping someone pushes a deer past you....and now your upset because that may occur on Saturday rather than Monday...
If you are using preseason scouting or prior years experience to post yourself on known trails it won't matter if you are hunting on Saturday or Monday.. Believe it or not, more than one deer use the same trails....
Dang all those deer I killed over the years didn't know I was doing it all wrong
post #213 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchunter1231 View Post
Shhh dont tell anyone but i was sitting in a spot last year and someone walked in below me and bumped deer up to me by accident. Not sure if that is considered waiting or hunting.
Well let's see:
When you went out that day were you waiting for someone to possibly push, spook or bump a deer your way OR did you go into the woods that day based on prior knowledge weather it be prior years experience or pre season scouting knowing that deer would most likely be coming that way and that's what you were hunting for?
bohunr likes this.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 04:28 PM

You can be honest, I don't judge....

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
post #215 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIGHT POINT View Post
You can be honest, I don't judge....
If you read some of your posts yea you do. In rifle season its always a possibility of someone bumping deer to you. Its part of hunting wasnt sure if you knew that or not. Public land you anticipate someone walking around hoping to push something to you. I do a lot of walking and still hunting which isnt "waiting" in rifle season. Since your the expert some of us are doing it wrong i guess. Everyone has their own tactic that
works for them great.
Steeltrap and Mussgrass like this.

4B
post #216 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 04:38 PM
Frequent Contributor

I think I can sum up what 8PT is trying to say:

A well-planned/scouted hunt will place a hunter in a spot that will see deer activity regardless how many hunters are out kicking them up.

On that, I agree.

We've scouted and worked rather hard over the years and have 4 established stands on the property that produce every season, whether there's a dozen people up or 3, drives or not.

My most productive seasons were among the sparsest in terms of companions... My primary blind is at a nexus of trails between bedding, food, cover, water, and paths/escapes from ag fields.
Some hinge cutting, logging, and planting over the years has almost made it boring at that stand. I know I'll see deer, and can change locations if conditions or the activities on neighboring properties warrant.

So I guess you could put me in the "waiting" or "ambush" column... but I'm not waiting out of dependence... I know they'll be along, as I've set up conditions that almost guarantee it.
Danesdad and ruger300 like this.
post #217 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingatchtochwilsit View Post

A well-planned/scouted hunt will place a hunter in a spot that will see deer activity regardless how many hunters are out kicking them up.
. The difference is that your statement was made without being condescending or judgmental or any of a list of other adjectives that I can’t use here.
Wingatchtochwilsit likes this.
post #218 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:02 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

There arenít many on this forum who can claim others are being judgmental and also claim they havenít done likewise themselves.

No need to judge the judgments and start fights over how others are fighting.
bigguy54 likes this.
post #219 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
There aren’t many on this forum who can claim others are being judgmental and also claim they haven’t done likewise themselves.

No need to judge the judgments and start fights over how others are fighting.
fair enough.
post #220 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscott1 View Post
how many time do you have to be told that not true.

You should really write a book, you an expert on everything. How and when people should practice their own traditions, how and when to use their camps, how to hunt, and to top it off now youíre a physiologist!
speaking of experts and writing books, have you accepted the statistics on safety from other states regarding the use of SA rifles for big game yet ?

(Dont hijack the thread)

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page