R.I.P. Pennsylvania hunting tradition - Page 12 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 454Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscott1 View Post
once again no. The opener and the traditions that are involved within are a 1 time a year thing. If that one time is Saturday it is not Monday. No opening day tradition can stand unchanged if the opener changes.

Itís petty basic.
If it's "pretty basic" then why can't or won't you articulate it? Why the continued avoidance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.
What is really basic is that this thread will be locked if the back and forth personal jabs don't stop!
WildBill, bigguy54, tdd and 1 others like this.

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
post #113 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:38 PM

In 2018 MY opening day, of hunting with a rifle, for deer, in Pa, tradition was Tuesday November 27th.

The sky did not come crashing down, I did not expect other hunters not to hunt on the 26th, I still enjoyed my day.

Good luck, Tony
JJ4D likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #114 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingatchtochwilsit View Post
Quote:
once again no. The opener and the traditions that are involved within are a 1 time a year thing. If that one time is Saturday it is not Monday. No opening day tradition can stand unchanged if the opener changes.

It’s petty basic.
If it's "pretty basic" then why can't or won't you articulate it? Why the continued avoidance?
No avoidance, I really shouldn’t need to explain it. It is EVERYTHING that comes with the first day of any season. The build up and anticipation. Not just being the first out but being out with all the first day hunters. More deer moving because there are more hunters. All of it along with so much more intangible. Why do guys get excited for the first day of archery when the end near the rut is generally considered better hunting? Why is the first day of spring gobbler more exciting than the second Saturday? It just is, it is the opener and it is special and different than all other days in the season. You either get it or you don’t and to suggest to someone that their traditions will be just as good without hunting opening day is ridiculous.
post #115 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony300wby View Post
In 2018 MY opening day, of hunting with a rifle, for deer, in Pa, tradition was Tuesday November 27th.

The sky did not come crashing down, I did not expect other hunters not to hunt on the 26th, I still enjoyed my day.

Good luck, Tony
unless you start Tuesday every year or at least twice I don’t see how you can call that tradition. It’s is simply hunting.
post #116 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:53 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
No avoidance, I really shouldnít need to explain it. It is EVERYTHING that comes with the first day of any season. The build up and anticipation. Not just being the first out but being out with all the first day hunters. More deer moving because there are more hunters. All of it along with so much more intangible. Why do guys get excited for the first day of archery when the end near the rut is generally considered better hunting? Why is the first day of spring gobbler more exciting than the second Saturday? It just is, it is the opener and it is special and different than all other days in the season. You either get it or you donít and to suggest to someone that their traditions will be just as good without hunting opening day is ridiculous.
Everything you've listed, the build-up, anticipation, and excitement is still there leading up to the first day you hunt...
If there's something special/magical/unique about the first day of each season, the implication then is that those who hunt opening days enjoy it more and "get" more than those who don't.... Think about that... if the only difference is the numeric day of the season, and more enjoyment is had from starting on the lowest possible number, then being part of the first group IS a key component of YOUR enjoyment... and if that's the case, fine, I get it... completely.

If that is not the case, then you still have some work to do clarifying your point...
post #117 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338/378wm View Post
And this is only your opinion correct? or do you have facts to go along with the stuff you post. I and many other hunters do not see the board being held hostage by any legislature. I have not read anything from the commissioners that said the legislatures were holding them hostage. Who is this one person in the legislature you said got his way? Many hunters wanted this change which you fail to acknowledge any of those hunters, other than the ones who you agree with the great change. You may not agree with the policy's the agency you worked for, for so long but that same agency is the reason why you can post against them now. When you worked for the same agency and commissioners when you were employed by the PGC you could not have the OPINION you have now.
No actually it is more than just my opinion.

If you had taken the time to watch the public comments you would have known the position of the high ranking Legislator I referred to. He made his position on the topic clear. The members on the Board of Commissioners would give his opinion MUCH more weight than what they gave any other hunter there to voice their opinion.

Besides I spent several decades seeing first hand how the State legislature holds the Game Commission hostage.

Anyone who can't see how the Legislature holds the Game Commission hostage is either blind or so extremely naÔve they shouldn't even have a voice.

Dick Bodenhorn
Buckethead, Bigbrownie and Zbow like this.

Last edited by R. S. B.; 04-10-2019 at 03:10 PM.
post #118 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:55 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
unless you start Tuesday every year or at least twice I donít see how you can call that tradition. Itís is simply hunting.
Is the implication that those who hunt "Traditionally" hold opinions of greater value or are in some way superior to those who merely "hunt"?
post #119 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingatchtochwilsit View Post
Everything you've listed, the build-up, anticipation, and excitement is still there leading up to the first day you hunt...
If there's something special/magical/unique about the first day of each season, the implication then is that those who hunt opening days enjoy it more and "get" more than those who don't.... Think about that... if the only difference is the numeric day of the season, and more enjoyment is had from starting on the lowest possible number, then being part of the first group IS a key component of YOUR enjoyment... and if that's the case, fine, I get it... completely.

If that is not the case, then you still have some work to do clarifying your point...
For about 35 years I didn't get to hunt the opening day. I hunted a few other days but that doesn't mean I hadn't missed THE opening day.

The opening day does have special meaning. Anyone who doesn't see that is either being dishonest or really doesn't put as much value to the hunting seasons as most other hunters do.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #120 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. S. B. View Post
No actually it is more than just my opinion.

If you had taken the time to watch the public comments you would have known the position of the high ranking Legislator I referred to. He made his position on the topic clear. The members on the Board of Commissioners would give his opinion MUCH more weight than what they gave any other hunter there to voice their opinion.

Besides I spent several decades seeing first hand how the State legislature holds the Game Commission hostage.

Anyone who can't see how the Legislature holds the Game Commission hostage is either blind or so extremely naÔve they shouldn't even have an voice.

Dick Bodenhorn
Again I feel this is just YOUR opinion, and YOU are entitled to it as I am mine. I and many hunters are not naive and do have a voice as it is OUR right. I cant comprehend your hostage complaint because the PGC is still solvent and working and doing great things for the hunters in this state. That is never going to change despite how you feel about legislators. Many state agency s have over site committees watching them other than the PGC.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page