Colorado Big Game Application - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Colorado Big Game Application

Been applying for preference points in Colorado's elk drawing for many years. Just went to apply this year and they changed it to where a non resident must buy a small game license at $81. before allowed in the drawing. Going to call them tomorrow but wondered if anyone else encountered this change....

Start everyday off with a smile and get it over with -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 07:50 PM
New Arrival

Moby.... You are correct in your thinking. I hunt mule deer there and was there this past October. I'm choosing to not apply this year cause in the end , it'll cost you $100 ($81+$9+$10). I can only hope to draw every 3 years. A $400 non-resident license will have cost me $600 by the time I would draw. I just can't see it being worth it. My friend lives there. The state of Colorado chose to do this cause neighboring states have a similar licensing process. In my opinion.... they are hurting the non residents the most and others in general. Even residents have to buy a "Qualifying" license to apply. Good luck in your endeavors.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 08:03 PM

you may have to buy a license to apply but the reward is worth way more than the license fee. If you do not want to accept the Colorado fees, please drop out as it helps other hunters who want to draw a tag and will help them draw a tag.

Last edited by 338/378wm; 03-17-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 08:28 PM
Part of the Community

i just put in for elk today i have 9pts as i put in for a pp first and elk tag as 2nd choose other wise like u said 100 dollars for a pp is crazy they are 50dollars in wyoming. i put in for a deer pp along with elk as you only need to buy one licence
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:45 AM
Frequent Contributor

It benefits the people who put in for multiple species. I put in for deer, elk and antelope under the new system. it's cheaper now than it was in years past had I put in for all three species. I personally like the system now.

B
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 04:20 PM

Unless I go with friends who are going in muzzleloader season and buy an over the counter archery tag I have bought my last Colorado lic!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 11:24 PM
The Man

I just went thru this myself. I have now after this year 10 elk and 8 deer, sure cant back out now. I have been doing Wyoming for same time and I think I had around $100.00 or so in those points. With Col. new system cost little over 100 but I would say its about close to what Wyoming costs has been for some time. I hope too some decide to drop out and give me a better chance.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 01:38 PM
Frequent Contributor

Some may look at it as some hunters will drop out improving their chances for future draws. I believe the odds will continue to decrease. Point creep is a significant problem. Due to having to purchase a qualifying license to enter the draw I know too many applicants that now started purchasing points for everything. Since you already purchased the qualifying license each additional point is only $9. In some peoples minds they feel like they get more for the costs of the qualifying license.

Last edited by walnuttree; 04-15-2019 at 02:57 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 01:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

This year I just make a detour through eastern CO on my bird trip.

“Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourteen percent of all people know that.”

“Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I don’t understand.”

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page