Monster Buck Sightings - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 154Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Monster Buck Sightings

Everyone has their own opinion on what constitutes as a monster buck. If I were to tag one with that label it would be anything over 130 inches. Maybe even 125. Some of the other threads got me thinking about expectations in regards to the land I hunt. Realistically anything close to 110 inches in my area is a super nice buck. In 33 years of hunting I may have only laid eyes on 4 or 5 bucks that were over 130 . I was fortunate enough to shoot one of them and also shot a couple over 125. The one I shot that was over 130 was on private land and I haven’t been back there since. I hunt hard and put countless hours in the woods every season. I also feel like I am a pretty decent hunter. With that being said I don’t think I have ever seen a buck that would break the 140 mark while hunting let alone something that is over 150. So what do you guys consider a “ monster” and how often do you see them ?

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter

Last edited by steelhead125; 03-05-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:19 AM

Once, in my life (40 years of hunting) did I see a buck that I would bet was over 140 inches, outside of a deer farm or a zoo. Nothing else has even come close.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:28 AM

Back home in my neck of PA, if it sniffs 120", it's a monster - no question. Where I shot my most recent buck in Iowa, the fact that the deer was 139+7/8" total inches makes it simply "above average" for that area. When you drop off what you consider a monster deer at the taxidermist out this way (Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas), you'll typically get humbled pretty quickly. My deer looked puny compared to some of the samples he had prepped for mounting, some of which pushed 180" typical. Scary big bucks grow out this way and I've never even laid eyes on the ones in the field of the caliber I've seen in that shop.

This is one example - the deer my taxidermist is working on here had its 7th point broken off on the beam closest to him, and *still* was looking to be around 180". Just freaking monstrous:

Last edited by Six-Gun; 03-05-2019 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Pic added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:40 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I've seen one I estimate to be around 140 in PA hunting private years ago near the airport in Allegheny County and a few others hunting out of state. One thing always stands out: When you see a deer that's over 130-140, there's no mistaking it for a 100" deer. The awe factor hits you immediately. I remember the PA deer coming off the hill to my right and just being in complete shock from the moment I saw him. As big deer tend to do, he got downwind and without raising a fuss simply turned around and walked back to his security cover.
Six-Gun likes this.
post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 09:21 AM
Frequent Contributor

3 years ago I moved to Blair County. I was on my way to Walmart and saw a buck on the side of the road that had been hit. Easily >160 green. The deer was still alive as I went past. On my way back, i looked for it, but it was gone. There were 3 or 4 pickup trucks stopped taking pictures of it while it died on the side of the road. I'm sure someone took it.

While hunting in the Lehigh Valley (along the Lehigh River) it was the very last day of the late season. I saw a buck 60yds that had the biggest rack I have ever seen. Hard to estimate the size of this thing, but it was the biggest buck I have ever seen on the hoof (body and rack). To guess I would have to say 170-190. First and last time I ever saw him. I spent the entire next few years hunting this deer and gave up when I moved out of the area...

Previously JJ5C
post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 10:20 AM

Steelhead 125: My observations in PA are very close to yours. I moved to PA 46 years ago and I have spent countless hours in the woods scouting, running cams, hunting mushrooms/sheds, hiking, 4 wheeling and walking the family pet etc.

I doubt that I have ever seen a rack in PA that would score over (say 2-3) 130ish, a number around 125 . I lived away from PA for a few years but returned to hunt as my work took me back and I had plenty of places to stay.

Even though I spent much less time scouting the other states I hunted I saw 2 in IL 160+- others 150' and 140's, IN 150-160's, OH a few 140's, Ky 130's, NY 125+- and Kansas high 150's.

Currently EHD has taken a heavy toll on the bucks in my area in PA and OH. Last year on camera and while hunting probably 105 is about the largest rack I saw in PA and I hope they are alive and have grown this fall.

So many times I have had individuals tell me they are spot lighting a huge rack only to take me along to see a 110-115 maybe a 120 and I guess they are right that is a big rack based on what they have seen over time. Perhaps because that is all that is their area.

My realistic (I think) goal in PA each year is to locate and hunt a 125.....I do almost all my deer hinting in archery season.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 10:20 AM

We get pics every year of 140-150" bucks but I've never seen 1 after we quit feeding and archery season rolls around. Some years we hear of 1 being shot on a neighboring property or get to see 1 of them in a pic after it has been killed but a lot of the time they just seem to disappear forever? One of them was poached during bear season 2 years ago and found on the last day of bear. My best is under 120" so anything bigger would be a "monster" to me.
post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 10:31 AM

I grew up hunting Western PA farmland and now reside in Central PA and hunt the mountains. I see quite a difference between the two in terms of top-end antler size. Also hunted SE Ohio and that is another step up from Western PA. Also witnessed AR have a drastic effect in growing older bucks where I grew up.

I'd say I use the monster label pretty sparingly. 19 years of hunting I have seen one buck on the hoof that was what I'd call a monster. Take your breath away size, once in a lifetime PA buck. He grossed 160ish with incredible mass, tine length, and a few NT points. Saw him at 50 yards from the tree, and really close in the headlights. He was shot in rifle by a member of our camp, brand new female hunter, that's how it usually goes right? Just a monster buck. This is mixed woods/farmland in 2D.

I've seen a few over the years in the 130- low 140s. I'd give it to you calling that a monster. They look huge but it is a pretty big jump to that 150+ range. I can't even begin to imagine what a booner looks like on the hoof. I haven't broken 130 yet. My buck this year would have but broke a brow tine. He had the frame to go 140s, but shortish tines.

120s I usually see one or two each year in that range between scouting and hunting. Definitely great, great bucks but a little short of the WOW factor for me. Most deer in the mountains max out somewhere in that 100-130 range I am finding. 140 is a real unicorn out here. And a lot more mature bucks in the lower end of that spectrum 100ish than higher. The max just isn't as high here as it is in Western PA. I would definitely call 100" a nice buck for anywhere in PA, especially the mountains and public land. I'm tickled with anything about 100" and up, but I've taken some smaller bucks with cool racks or lots of mass that I am really happy with too. Measurements are a nice point of comparison though.
post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Basically my thoughts are after 33 deer seasons and only seeing a handful of Pope and Young deer I need to be honest with myself. The properties I hunt just donít hold many deer of that caliber. It sounds great to say I am going to hold out but if I truly did that I could possibly only shoot a buck once every decade. Honestly I could be holding out for something that isnít even there. Thatís not cool in my book. Usually anything over 100 inches is enough to get my heart pounding. If I let something over 100 inches walk there is a really good chance I wonít get another opportunity for the rest of the season. Not to mention bucks with racks over 100 inches are really nice ones for my area. I guess I could go look for other properties that hold bigger buck but I already have thousands of acres of public land to hunt so I guess you could say I am pretty content with what I already have.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 10:45 AM

P&Y is net too, which is bullcrap. I have two whitetails and an elk that gross PY but not net. Seems I am good at nailing that category. That is my unofficial measurement too but measuring isn't rocket science. I wouldn't enter anything in the book regardless but net scores are horse manure. I don't think spread should count either but that's just me. Like I said I only use scores as a reference point I could really care less what a buck scores.
fall gobbler likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page