270wsm vs 6-5creedmore vs 7 mm Remington ultra mag - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

270wsm vs 6-5creedmore vs 7 mm Remington ultra mag

I still believe the creedmore is a flash in the pan and will fade out over time. Many articles I read state “ that the creed more was created as a target round not as a hunting gun “.

Don’t shoot the messenger just stating the facts plus looking to narrow down a future rifle .
E
7mm STW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 10:55 PM
Regular Visitor

I just said to my grandson we haven't bought a rifle in a while so what should we buy? He said we have a 270 and a 30/06, what else do we need? He's right. Other than fancy names I'm not sure these offer a whole lot and probably will die out like others have. Hard to compete with standard calibers.
willyp and hunterdan199 like this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 11:13 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterdan199 View Post
Many articles I read state “ that the creed more was created as a target round not as a hunting gun “.
You may be right. It is accurate but there are so many better hunting rounds out there.

Of all the guys I shoot rifle with two friends and I are the only two who do not have a Creedmoor. The other guys are always complaining about how much components cost and how hard they are to get. I just smile and tell them about all the .224 and.308 components there are out there.
willyp and hunterdan199 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

It’s basics,lay down to 270 WSM vs 7 mm Remington ultra mag
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 04:01 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Of the three you have stated I would prefer the ultra, just like to "get er done" I have all three, plus two STW's . Bought my first STW in 1997 and it still shoots dime size groups! Great thread!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 06:46 AM

All are fine cartridges, but for hunting in PA, we are separating fly poop from pepper. Any properly desogned bullet 130 grain and up over 2500fps will do the job just fine on pa deer, bear, elk or anything else you want to shoot.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mm STW View Post
Of the three you have stated I would prefer the ultra, just like to "get er done" I have all three, plus two STW's . Bought my first STW in 1997 and it still shoots dime size groups! Great thread!

How do you like the 270 WSM? Any problem with barrel life? Reading up on them it sounds great but never played with one. Is there a good starting point for a hand load? Thinking about one and just asking. Waugh!
Waynzee likes this.

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:58 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I've never owned a 7mmSTW but have owned a 270 WSM and presently own a 6.5 CM and of the 3 for hunting in PA. that 6.5 CM will do all ya need to. I've hunted the last two years with the 6.5 CM and with a 120gr. Sierra Pro Hunter bullet it lays deer down like they were hit with with 270 WSM.
Also here in N.E. PA. I hear a lot of guys putting down their hard kicking magnums for something just as good without all the recoil. I think the 6.5 Creedmoor is going to be around for a long time.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:10 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridger View Post
How do you like the 270 WSM? Any problem with barrel life? Reading up on them it sounds great but never played with one. Is there a good starting point for a hand load? Thinking about one and just asking. Waugh!
I had a Browning A bolt in the 270 WSM it was accurate with the 130 grain bullets but couldn't get it to shoot anything heavier. I didn't like the way it blew a big hole and wasted a lot of meat on the deer I shot with it but if you want something that will lay em down and not to worried about meat lost than it's a good caliber.
I only put about 120 rounds through it so I can't rightly say anything about barrel life. Good luck with it if you choose to get one.
willyp and jimbridger like this.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:35 AM

Not a fan of wasted meat. Waugh!
Muzz likes this.

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page