sick deer - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
dce
Sage

sick deer

Saturday morning I took the dog out for a run behind the house.As soon as we get out there she jumps some deer but I was able to call her off them easily.A little while later she goes on point and stays there for about 5 minutes.Thinking there's no birds around,I go down to check it out.When I get there,she's almost nose to nose with a button buck.The deer was obviously not right so I called her off the deer and went back to get the kids.we when go down to where the deer is and it's laying down,not in any condition to move.I wasn't about to dispatch it myself so I called the PGC and a couple of WCO's from a neighboring district show up a couple hours later and shoot it.I'm not sure what was wrong with it.other than it had explosive diarrhea.I wouldn't want to get in a gunfight with the one WCO.He made a heck of a shot with his Glock.I was less than 10 feet away from it and it let me snap this picture with my phone.The one WCO said this was the 4th or 5th fawn that they had to put down in the past few days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeR.jpg (44.1 KB, 59 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 01:43 PM
Sage

I found a dead fawn of the year at our club, not long after I got home from deer camp in December. Same thing, somewhat emaciated and its butt was covered in feces. A member had seen it a day or so before in the same area and wasn't concerned about how it acted. But he wasn't that close to it. Doubt that fawn weighed 50 pounds?

Had a slightly larger doe showing the same symptoms out there in late January of 2018, but that one was obviously distressed, as it had wandered up close to people shooting on a range and showed no signs of fear.

I looked for that deer for some time, expecting to find it dead, but never did find it. PGC was called in both cases.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 01:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

My first though would be CWD. I hope the WCO's took the deer and had it tested.

Previously JJ5C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
dce
Sage

Fawns won't show any sign of CWD and it didn't have any symptoms of CWD.It wasn't tested for anything.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 05:00 PM
Banned

Does anybody have a feeder around? Not a great picture, but it doesn't look emaciated. Could be a bad case of acidosis?
Wingatchtochwilsit likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 05:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce View Post
Saturday morning I took the dog out for a run behind the house.As soon as we get out there she jumps some deer but I was able to call her off them easily.A little while later she goes on point and stays there for about 5 minutes.Thinking there's no birds around,I go down to check it out.When I get there,she's almost nose to nose with a button buck.The deer was obviously not right so I called her off the deer and went back to get the kids.we when go down to where the deer is and it's laying down,not in any condition to move.I wasn't about to dispatch it myself so I called the PGC and a couple of WCO's from a neighboring district show up a couple hours later and shoot it.I'm not sure what was wrong with it.other than it had explosive diarrhea.I wouldn't want to get in a gunfight with the one WCO.He 4made a heck of a shot with his Glock.I was less than 10 feet away from it and it let me snap this picture with my phone.The one WCO said this was the 4th or 5th fawn that they had to put down in the past few days.
I would say someone started feeding these deer during the winter.
PA Scotty likes this.

PETA hates me, but I'm okay with that......
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 05:42 PM
Frequent Contributor

Had a friend send me a picture of a fawn in his back yard a couple weeks ago. It was pretty much the same scenario. The deer did get up once he got real close but was obviously very sick. I don’t have the pic anymore or i would post it.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftyshad View Post
Does anybody have a feeder around? Not a great picture, but it doesn't look emaciated. Could be a bad case of acidosis?
It was very emaciated.I bet it didn't weigh 40-50lbs.There's twp people within 400 yards that are feeding them loads of corn.All the corn was picked by the middle of October but the same people start feeding by the end of January.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 06:40 PM
Sage

Deer can look emaciated because they can naturally lose 30 percent if their body weight over winter and survive of the fat reserves. One of the signs of acidosis is diarrhea. I read but don't remember where that deer can go a month without eating and survive.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
dce
Sage

The whole back end of this deer was nothing but diarrhea and it stunk to high heaven.There was nothing to this deer.You could lift it up with one hand.The winter coat makes it look bigger than it was.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page