elevated box stand? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Buckethead
  • 2 Post By tundragriz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

elevated box stand?

I have built a few elevated box stands in the past. Most are 4x6 and I just dug into the ground set the post and ran than straight up and than I usually have a tree real close that I brace the stand to the bottom of the trunk for extra stability. I'm looking at building another elevated box stand, but I won't have any trees nearby for the extra stability, so I want to angle the post slightly outward to give it a wider base. Does anyone know roughly what angle these post should be compared to the floor? I know they sell brackets already made for this, but I"m cheap and can fab most stuff myself, just need to know how much of an angle the post should be.

You can't bag a big one if your not out tryin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:43 AM

Cabela's sells sleeves for the 4x4 posts according to the guy in this video. Maybe you could look them up and they would tell you the angle. This video is basically what you are wanting to build...

Dogface likes this.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:47 AM

The angle is 8 degrees both directions

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Shad...3.uts?slotId=7

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 10:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I dug about 18" deep holes, drilled to put timber spikes across the posts, and used creek water with some ready mix. Doesn't even shake in high wind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01432.jpg (300.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01434.jpg (408.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01435.jpg (298.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP7057.jpg (164.8 KB, 20 views)
outofstater and Big Buck like this.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 10:53 PM
The Man

I have 5 on my property and each one little different. I go with 6 x 6 much stronger wont look back. You can put it any where in middle of field etc. I have the perks of owning a bobcat and attachments. I auger down as far as auger will go 2.5-3' using 12' posts due to only care to be 9-10' off ground. Sit the post and get square and plumb as possible. Our in a bag of secrete in each hole dry then cover rest with dirt and rocks. Of course brace it while you sit the posts with 2x4. I then go to the height desired using treated 2 x 8' for top banding board. I carry my little honda generator using nail gun to tack then drill holes and bolt thru 6x6. I run my floor jices on 1' center makes floor more sturdy and wjen I place treated plywood down I nail with ring nail but apply liquid nail. This all helps keep the squeak down during cold weather. I then remove the 2x4 braces for posts then just run them on a diagonal for more sturdy. After you do this its not going anywhere. I build my box it self in my shop the last couple then take over on a trailer. I lift it up with bobcat and pallet forks and place on. Just easier then doing all the building in the woods. I also build wooden steps with hand railing will not use a ladder.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 08:03 AM
Frequent Contributor

No need to angle the posts. As long as you're setting your posts below the frost line you're good to go. Heck, mine are have survived for the last decade and the holes are just back filled with crushed stone. Concrete is overkill.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page