Tell me how ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Tell me how ?

If the CWD prions are in the soil and won't die off how slaughtering a massive amount of deer is going to stop it ?

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:00 AM
Part of the Community

There is also no guarantee that CWD can't be spread to humans. So the less deer in a certain area would lead to less prions in soil in a given area. The prions do die but it takes years. But if you left all deer in CWD area to thrive and spread disease at a faster rate the herd would be killed off faster. "Hopefully" they will find a cure before it spreads and wipes out all deer/elk. I would think the goal is to ideally stop the spread but the more realistic goal is to slow the spread until deer develop an immunity or a cure is found. Nature has a way of figuring these things out. No one can say that "a" or "some" deer have been exposed and not contracted the disease do exist.
Danesdad likes this.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:10 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcshank85 View Post
There is also no guarantee that CWD can't be spread to humans. So the less deer in a certain area would lead to less prions in soil in a given area. The prions do die but it takes years. But if you left all deer in CWD area to thrive and spread disease at a faster rate the herd would be killed off faster. "Hopefully" they will find a cure before it spreads and wipes out all deer/elk. I would think the goal is to ideally stop the spread but the more realistic goal is to slow the spread until deer develop an immunity or a cure is found. Nature has a way of figuring these things out. No one can say that "a" or "some" deer have been exposed and not contracted the disease do exist.

Not jumping back into the fray on this one but, I think the bolded part of your post is incorrect. Prions aren't alive and can't "die." I believe they have been detected in contaminated soil decades later.

I think the only thing that can destroy them is extremely high temperatures.....>800F. I would need to research that again.
Buckethead, Dogface and Danesdad like this.

Suburban redneck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:12 AM
Part of the Community

So then it's only a matter of time till all deer/elk die off.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:22 AM
The Man

Like most things,resistance becomes stronger also after time.
Danesdad, jimsdad and rcshank85 like this.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyp View Post
If the CWD prions are in the soil and won't die off how slaughtering a massive amount of deer is going to stop it ?
Slows down the distribution of the prions across the landscape. Deer are the carriers of the prions.
jimbridger, Danesdad and jimsdad like this.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:36 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The deer and elk out west have been dealing with CWD for years and years - decades, actually. Also, I never hear of guys getting their deer/elk tested for CWD when they are successful out west.

The only thing I hear about decimating the deer/elk populations out west is the introduction of the Canadian wolves that are much larger than the American wolves they were trying to "re-introduce".
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgrad25 View Post
Not jumping back into the fray on this one but, I think the bolded part of your post is incorrect. Prions aren't alive and can't "die." I believe they have been detected in contaminated soil decades later.

I think the only thing that can destroy them is extremely high temperatures.....>800F. I would need to research that again.
You got it, prions are proteins, not viruses or bacteria, that cause mutation of brain matter, they cannot be killed and they do not die so far as anyone has shown.
Buckethead and Danesdad like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgrad25 View Post

Prions are difficult to destroy. The last I heard prion infected parts had to be heated to over 850 Celsius to render a prion inactive. Or they believe you can boil prion infected instruments in sodium hydroxide to render the prions inactive.

I am not sure anyone is really 100% certain that prions can be completely destroyed.

Dick Bodenhorn
Buckethead and Six-Gun like this.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 08:11 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nice link that gives a timeline of some prion based diseases and it is described in layman terms.

https://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/basics/prions/

Here is what is used in the U.S. for sterilization. The scary thing is, there is no agreed upon process, worldwide. If it were me being operated on and I had a choice, I would want "new" equipment, not something that was previously used on someone that had prion based disease and the equipment was sterilized.

https://consteril.com/prion-sterilization-guide/
Dogface and Woods walker like this.

Suburban redneck.

Last edited by justgrad25; 02-07-2019 at 08:38 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page