LSU Dr. Finds cure for CWD? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

LSU Dr. Finds cure for CWD?

No clue how to post a link on here, but just read vaccines are on the horizon....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 05:35 PM
Sage

I will believe it when see it. Actually I don't believe it now since the incubation period until the disease shows symptoms is so long, I doubt they have tested any vaccine that long. Next, if it is true, big deal, it only benefits the twits who unleashed this disease upon our wild deer. How are you going to immunize an entire wild population of deer? I would get excited and hopeful yet.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Well sorry man, just posting what I have read on wjac tv's web page.

Last edited by 308Gunner; 02-04-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 06:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

Here is your link...

https://wjactv.com/news/local/resear...ssion-responds

Researchers claim cure to deadly deer disease, game commission responds

by Travis Gary, WJAC Staff
Monday, February 4th 2019

Pennsylvania sportsmen are teaming up with researchers from Louisiana State University, who claim to have found a cure to chronic wasting disease. (MGN)

HARRISBURG, Pa. (WJAC) — Pennsylvania sportsmen are teaming up with researchers from Louisiana State University, who claim to have found a cure to chronic wasting disease.
The United Sportsmen of Pennsylvania say a doctor at LSU has identified a previously unknown bacterium that causes CWD, mainly in deer and elk, which the group says poses a devastating threat to all wildlife.
USP is raising funds for those researchers to develop on-site testing kits for hunters to test their harvest for the disease.
Within the next three years, they also plan to release vaccines to help both captive and wild deer populations.
USP is seeking to raise over $250,000 to donate to LSU for test kits and vaccine developments.
Meanwhile, officials with the Pennsylvania Game Commission and Department of Agriculture released a statement regarding the disease Monday.
They say the always-fatal brain disease has been detected in some areas of the commonwealth with increasing regularity, threatening deer and deer hunting.
In the statement, officials say they want to make it clear that decades of research have provided abundant evidence that prions, which are misfolded proteins, are the infectious agent of CWD.
They say the hypothesis is accepted by state agriculture and wildlife agencies across the country.
Officials say other theories regarding the disease have not been thoroughly researched.
“By intensively monitoring for CWD statewide and acting to limit the disease’s spread where it exists, the Game Commission remains committed to fighting CWD and protecting the hunting opportunity our largely healthy and abundant deer herd provide,” said Game Commission Bureau of Wildlife Management Director Matthew Schnupp. “Through ongoing research, our options for best managing CWD might someday expand, and we will always incorporate the best available science in our disease response.”
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 06:17 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

So, why wouldn't the PGC want to embrace this and support these findings? It was also mention on the news tonight that there is a test you can do in the field to see if your deer is CWD positive.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 06:28 PM
Frequent Contributor

This is fake news. The USP. is a big supporter of commercial deer farms and will do and say anything to keep them open.

PETA hates me, but I'm okay with that......
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks JoeG52
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 08:07 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Yup, fake news. A Doc at LSU huh? Whats his name? Any Doc that really had a handle on this and his name would be in the article. A vaccine in the next three years? Heck in three years there may really be one and who will remember this then. Its a great thought but I don't buy it.
jimbridger, bohunr and Danesdad like this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 08:16 PM

I would be thrilled if there was really any evidence of a cure for CWD but I am pretty darn sure this isn't it. If the USP is involved in it I don't have any faith in it being reliable at all.

Some of the world's best researchers have been dealing with prion diseases for at least 70 years and they are pretty darn sure it is a mutant protein and thus with it not being a living organism can't vaccinated against or even killed.

I would have to see something a lot more convincing than this before I would put much stock in it being of any value.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 08:20 PM

PGC and Dept of Ag just put out this press release.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Feb. 4, 2019
HARRISBURG -- Following today's press conference on Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD), the Pennsylvania Game Commission and Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture would like to make clear that decades of research have provided abundant evidence that prions, or misfolded proteins, are the infectious agent of CWD, and this hypothesis is accepted by state agriculture and wildlife agencies across the U.S.
While alternative theories exist, they have not been thoroughly researched.
Meanwhile, CWD remains a serious threat to Pennsylvania’s deer and deer hunting.
In some areas of the state where CWD exists, the always-fatal, incurable brain disease affecting deer and elk has been detected with increasing regularity.
“By intensively monitoring for CWD statewide and acting to limit the disease’s spread where it exists, the Game Commission remains committed to fighting CWD and protecting the hunting opportunity our largely healthy and abundant deer herd provide,” said Game Commission Bureau of Wildlife Management Director Matthew Schnupp. “Through ongoing research, our options for best managing CWD might someday expand, and we will always incorporate the best available science in our disease response.”
For more information on CWD, visit the Game Commission’s website, www.pgc.pa.gov.
jimbridger likes this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page