Fawn Recruitment Rate Dropping - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Fawn Recruitment Rate Dropping

IN the lastest QDMA report they listed the fawn recruitment rates.

PA
2000 0.70
2005 0.70
2010 0.70
2014 0.62
2017 0.57

https://www.qdma.com/2019-whitetail-report/

You have to put your name and email to download report, but it is free.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 02:11 PM

according to the 36% of fawns in the harvest which was at an all time low for the 17-18 season and the slow decline over the past few years from the long standing avg. of 18-20%. the 15 and 16 season at 37-36% would follow the QDMA report. what is causing the decline is another question. i would think with the increases in buck harvest over the past 3 years that the over all population is on the rise .
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot View Post
IN the lastest QDMA report they listed the fawn recruitment rates.

PA
2000 0.70
2005 0.70
2010 0.70
2014 0.62
2017 0.57

https://www.qdma.com/2019-whitetail-report/

You have to put your name and email to download report, but it is free.

I guess you missed the fine print. Not in elk county. Waugh!
TENPT and cspot like this.

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 02:42 PM

You listed 00, 05, 10. So what does 2015 report? Waugh!

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridger View Post
You listed 00, 05, 10. So what does 2015 report? Waugh!
Those are the years listed in the report. They only had 00, 05, 10, 14, and 17.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I guess you missed the fine print. Not in elk county. Waugh!
Actually I guess you really don't know as much as you think you do or you are just making the decision to be obtuse.

The fact is that the fawn recruitment rates here in Elk County have always varied a great deal from year to year. Here are the fawn to doe ratios found in the fall (which equates to the fawn recruitment rate) based on the wildlife survey routes done by volunteers.

Year....Fawns/adult doe

No date from 2012-2016

After I retired, in 2012, we didn't do the surveys. We started doing some of the routes again in 2017.

I have no idea what happened during the years from 2012 -2017 but it appears there might very well have been a significant decline in the fawn recruitment rates in this area.

Many things can occur that will change the fawn recruitment rate. Breeding and reproductive rates can effect it. The severity and length of the previous winter can and frequently does effect it. Habitat changes can effect it and past deer harvests can effect the habitat values. Predation can effect it and a great many things can effect predator populations from year to year and time period to time period.

There are just too many variables to put the blame at any one thing at his point in time without significantly more research of the subject.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 03:18 PM

Please list the number of samples for each year. Waugh!

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 03:24 PM

Obtuse, which comes to us from the Latin word obtusus, meaning "dull" or "blunt," can describe an angle that is not acute or a person who is mentally "dull" or slow of mind. The word has also developed a somewhat controversial sense of "hard to comprehend," probably as a result of confusion with abstruse. This sense of obtuse is well established, and it is now possible to speak of "obtuse language" and "obtuse explanations," as well as "obtuse angles" and "obtuse readers"; however, it may attract some criticism. If you're hesitant about using new meanings of words, you should probably stick with abstruse when you want a word meaning "difficult to understand."

Wow. I guess this is my week. RSB has actually lowered himself to attack the messenger not the message. So sorry to push you to new lows. Keep spreading your misinformation you only fool the real fools not the one you deem to be fools. Waugh!
crazyjjk and flintlock hunter like this.

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Obtuse, which comes to us from the Latin word obtusus, meaning "dull" or "blunt," can describe an angle that is not acute or a person who is mentally "dull" or slow of mind. The word has also developed a somewhat controversial sense of "hard to comprehend," probably as a result of confusion with abstruse. This sense of obtuse is well established, and it is now possible to speak of "obtuse language" and "obtuse explanations," as well as "obtuse angles" and "obtuse readers"; however, it may attract some criticism. If you're hesitant about using new meanings of words, you should probably stick with abstruse when you want a word meaning "difficult to understand."

Wow. I guess this is my week. RSB has actually lowered himself to attack the messenger not the message. So sorry to push you to new lows. Keep spreading your misinformation you only fool the real fools not the one you deem to be fools. Waugh!
All I have done is provide what the deer themselves are providing. If people want to accept it then they can't if they don't want to they don't have too.

Of course we all also know that some people will not accept the data deer provide because it isn't what they want to believe or goes against their desires and agenda. I guess everyone can figure out for themselves which are which and what category each falls into.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 07:27 PM
Regular Visitor

We were told that when we reduced the deer herd, more fawns would be recruited because more available food......

We were told breeding rates would increase when we corrected the buck to doe ratio. They didn't. We didn't have a breeding problem.

QDMA, years ago, said if you have a recruitment rate below .5, you had serious issues.

They also said 1 was good.
jimbridger and fall gobbler like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page